- Nvidia Control Panel is a useful software used to manage various settings related to your Nvidia graphics card.
- Some users claimed that Nvidia Control Panel won't open. This could be due to outdated drivers, or hung processes.
- If you can't open Nvidia Control Panel, you should update your drivers by using a proper tool found below.
- Also, you should check your antivirus if it's interfering with it. Continue reading to learn what you can do about it.
Nvidia drivers come with certain software, but many users reported that they can’t open Nvidia Control Panel on their PC.
This can be a problem, especially if you want to fine-tune your graphics card settings. However, there’s a way to fix this problem.
Many users use Nvidia Control Panel to customize their graphics card settings, but some users reported that they can’t open Nvidia Control Panel at all. Here are some similar problems that users reported:
- Nvidia Control Panel has stopped working Windows 10 – Perhaps the problem is your antivirus. Read more about Nvidia Control Panel stopped working in Windows.
- Nvidia Control Panel not working Windows 7 64 bit – This issue can appear on older versions of Windows, but you should be able to fix that problem with one of our solutions.
- Can’t find Nvidia Control Panel – If you can’t find Nvidia Control Panel, simply go to its installation directory, create a shortcut on your desktop and the problem should be resolved.
- Nvidia Control Panel missing – Many users reported that Nvidia Control Panel is missing on their PC, but there’s not the case. Simply open Control Panel and you should be able to access it.
- Nvidia Control Panel not showing – This happens when it wasn’t installed with the drivers, or it simply stopped working.
- Nvidia Control Panel won’t launch – Users reported trying unsuccessfully to open Nvidia Control Panel from the Windows Control Panel, and it’s probably caused by the bad driver.
What can I do if Nvidia Control Panel won’t open?
- Update your drivers and system
- End Nvidia Display Contain process
- Check your antivirus
- Make sure that the necessary services are running
- Start the application directly from the installation directory
- Disable Fast Boot option in Windows 10
- Reinstall the driver from NVIDIA GeForce Experience
- Make sure that Nvidia Control Panel isn’t hidden
1. Update your drivers and system
- Right-click Start, and select Device Manager.
- You’ll see the list of all your hardware listed in Device Manager.
- Right-click on Nvidia driver, and choose to Update driver software.
- If a driver update is available, the wizard will automatically install it, if not, your driver is already up to date.
- Restart your PC.
If you can’t open Nvidia Control Panel on your PC, the problem might be your drivers. Your Nvidia drivers might be out of date, and that can cause this and many other errors to appear.
To fix this issue, it’s advised that you update your Nvidia drivers. Visit Nvidia’s website and download the latest drivers for your graphics card. Install them on your PC and the problem should be resolved.
If you don’t want to manually search for drivers, you can always use a great third-party tool.
By using this tool you update your graphics card and all other outdated drivers on your system automatically, so be sure to try it out.
It will also keep your system safe from permanent damage by manually downloading and installing the wrong driver versions.
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for DriverFix to detect all your faulty drivers.
- The application will now show you all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for the app to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
DriverFixKeep you GPU on the peaks of their performance without worrying about its drivers.
In addition to your drivers, many users are suggesting that you update your system as well. This is also quite simple to do, and you can do it by doing the following:
- Press the Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- Go to the Update & Security section.
- In the right pane, click Check for updates button.
If any updates are available they will be downloaded automatically in the background and installed as soon as you restart your PC. Once your system and drivers are up to date, the problem should be resolved completely.
2. End Nvidia Display Contain process
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
- Locate the Nvidia Display Container process, right-click it and choose End Task from the menu.
After doing that, the process will restart itself, and you should be able to open Nvidia Control Panel. Bear in mind that this is just a workaround, so it’s rather likely that you’ll have to repeat it once you restart your PC.
Sometimes certain glitches can occur on your system, and that can cause issues with some processes.
If you can’t open Nvidia Control Panel, perhaps you can fix the problem simply by ending Nvidia Display Container process.
3. Check your antivirus
According to users, a common problem with applications can be your antivirus. Sometimes you can’t open Nvidia Control Panel because your antivirus is interfering with it.
To fix the problem, it’s advised to check your antivirus settings and make sure that your antivirus isn’t blocking Nvidia Control Panel.
If that’s not the issue, try disabling certain antivirus features and check if that helps. In addition, you can also try disabling your antivirus altogether and check if that helps. In the worst cases scenario, you can even try removing your antivirus.
Several users reported that AVG antivirus caused this issue to appear, but after removing it the problem was resolved. Even if you don’t use AVG, you can try removing your antivirus and check if that solves the problem.
If removing the antivirus solves the problem, you should consider switching to a different antivirus solution.
There are many great antivirus tools on the market, but if you want maximum protection that won’t interfere with your system, you should consider using our antivirus recommendation below.
4. Make sure that the necessary services are running
- Press the Windows Key + R and enter services.msc. Now press Enter or click OK.
- When Services window opens, locate Nvidia Display Container LS and double-click it to open its properties.
- Now set the Startup type to Automatic and click the Start button to start the service. Click Apply and OK to save changes.
- Now locate Nvidia Network Service Container, set its Startup type to Automatic and make sure that the service is running.
After doing that, the problem with Nvidia Control Panel should be completely resolved.
In order for your system to work properly, certain services need to be running. The same goes for Nvidia Control Panel, and if you can’t open Nvidia Control Panel, perhaps the necessary services aren’t running.
According to users, Nvidia Control Panel relies on two services, and if they aren’t running, you might encounter this or some other issue. To enable the required services, you just need to follow the above steps.
5. Start the application directly from the installation directory
- Go to the C:Program FilesNVIDIA CorporationControl Panel Client directory.
- Locate and run nvcplui.exe.
After doing that, the Nvidia Control Panel should start without any problems. If you want, you can create a shortcut of this application on your desktop and use it to quickly start Nvidia Control Panel.
If you want, you can also force Nvidia Control Panel to start automatically with your system. To do that, you just need to create a shortcut of Nvidia Control Panel and put it in the following directory:
By doing so, the application will start automatically with your system every time.
If you can’t open Nvidia Control Panel on your PC anymore, you might be able to solve this issue simply by starting the application right from the installation directory.
6. Disable Fast Boot option in Windows 10
- Press the Windows Key + S and enter power settings.
- Choose Power & sleep settings from the menu.
- In the right pane, scroll down to the Related settings section.
- Click on Additional power settings.
- Power Options window will now open. From the menu on the left select Choose what the power button does.
- Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
- Uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended) option and click Save changes.
After doing that, the Fast Boot option should be disabled completely. Bear in mind that your system will start a bit slower than before, but the problem with Nvidia Control Panel should be resolved.
Windows 10 has a useful feature called Fast Boot, and thanks to it your system will boot faster than in previous versions of Windows. This feature won’t completely turn off your PC which will allow it to boot faster.
However, this feature can cause various issues such as this one. If you can’t open Nvidia Control Panel, perhaps you can solve the problem simply by disabling Fast Boot.
7. Reinstall the driver from NVIDIA GeForce Experience
- Open NVIDIA GeForce Experience.
- Now head over to the Drivers section.
- Select Re-install the driver option and choose Quick install.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the reinstall process.
- Once the driver is reinstalled, check if the problem is still there.
According to users, you might be able to fix the problems with Nvidia Control Panel simply by reinstalling the driver.
Several users reported that they fixed the problem simply by reinstalling the driver from NVIDIA GeForce Experience application.
8. Make sure that Nvidia Control Panel isn’t hidden
- Press the Windows key + S and enter control panel.
- Choose Control Panel from the list of results.
- When Control Panel opens, choose Nvidia Control Panel.
- Go to Desktop and select Add Desktop Context Menu and Show Notification Tray Icon.
After doing that, you should see Nvidia Control Panel in your Taskbar and in your context menu.
Sometimes you can’t open Nvidia Control Panel simply because it’s hidden. Certain software or Windows update can hide it, but there’s a way to fix this problem.
Not being able to open Nvidia Control Panel can be a big problem, especially if you want to fine-tune your graphics card.
However, we hope that you managed to solve this issue by using one of our solutions. For more suggestions, please access the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you downloaded the Nvidia drivers from their website, after installing them and after you reboot the computer, the Control Panel should show in the taskbar. If not, download the app from the Microsoft Store. See more on our dedicated Nvidia control panel page.
You have two choices. Either use Microsoft Store to search for and download Nvidia Control Panel, or you can use the Advanced Search on Nvidia page.
If reinstalling the Nvidia drivers is in order, then this particular solution from the article will show you exactly what to do.