- The Nvidia Control Panel is a useful piece of software that lets you adjust the hardware settings on your graphics card and media processor.
- A complete and easy guide to help you tackle Nvidia Control Panel crashes is found below.
- Don’t hesitate to get the best experience possible by vising our detailed Nvidia section as well.
- Do you frequently encounter similar issues? Don't worry. This PC Software Troubleshooting Hub will show you some effective solutions.
Many gamers use Nvidia graphics cards and one key part of Nvidia cards is none other than the Nvidia Control Panel.
Speaking of that, users are reporting that the Nvidia Control Panel has stopped working in Windows 10. Is this your problem as well?
Therefore, let’s see what is causing this issue and how to resolve it in no time.
What can I do if the Nvidia Control Panel crashes?
1. Uninstall and reinstall your display drivers
- Download Display Driver Uninstaller. You can download it from here.
- Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode. To do so, open the Start menu and click Restart while holding the Shift button on your keyboard.
- Your PC will restart and now you need to enter into Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings.
- Your computer will restart again and now you’ll have the option to choose to enter Safe Mode.
- Run Display Driver Uninstaller in Safe Mode to remove your display driver.
- After the display driver has been removed your computer will restart and now you can go to Nvidia’s website and download the latest Windows 10 drivers.
- Some users recommend using Wise Care 365 software to clean your registry, so you might want to opt-in for it. Download Wise Care 365 (free).
This issue can be caused by driver incompatibility, so let’s try to completely remove your display drivers and download the latest version.
However, we have to mention that sometimes it’s better to use an older driver, and some users have reported that older versions of drivers, such as 353.49 for example, work better than the latest drivers, so you might want to give them a try.
2. Turn off GPU Virtualization
- Open the VirtuMVP control panel. It should be located in the system tray, right next to your clock.
- In the main tab, there should be a GPU Virtualization option. Just turn it off and check if it has fixed your Nvidia Control Panel issues.
If you have a motherboard with onboard GPU, you might have VirtuMVP software installed that can cause some issues with the Nvidia Control Panel.
According to users, GPU Virtualization is an option in VirtuMVP that can cause some issues, so use the above steps to disable it.
The previously mentioned solutions also work if you encounter the following errors:
- Nvidia Control Panel has stopped working – Plenty of users describe this scenario when trying to use the Control Panel. Clicking the entry just leads to a popup box stating: Nvidia Control Panel Application has stopped working.
- Nvidia Control Panel not available – There are also quite a few NVIDIA graphics adapter users who report the NVIDIA Control Panel not available issue on their Windows PC.
- Nvidia Control Panel keeps crashing – Repeated crashes are also some of the most frequent graphics card issues users encounter these days. Changing Power Management and Vertical Sync settings is one of the main reasons behind this issue.
- Nvidia Control Panel crashes when adding a program – If the Nvidia Control Panel has crashed on your computer, chances are this is related to adding a new program.
- Nvidia Control Panel crashes on startup – If in most cases the Nvidia Control Panel takes some time to crash, it may also happen on startup. Reinstalling your display drivers will help you get rid of this problem for good.
That would be all. We can only hope these steps helped you in solving the problem with Nvidia Control Panel in Windows 10.
If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions, just write them down in the comments area below.
FAQ: Learn more about Nvidia Control Panel
- How to open Nvidia Control Panel?
You should normally see the option to open the Control Panel straight from the desktop. If you can’t complete the action, one of these quick tips will definitely prove helpful.
- How to update Nvidia Control Panel?
The Control Panel is usually installed with the drivers. Therefore, our recommendation is to update your Nvidia GPU driver by using this comprehensive procedure.
- How to get Nvidia Control Panel in Windows 10?
Head to the official Nvidia Download Drivers site and use the Search button to find a display driver that supports your graphics card.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2015 and has been since revamped and updated in June 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.