Upgrading to Windows 10 should improve the user experience, rather than bringing annoying issues. Since we don’t live in a perfect world, sometimes problems appear when making the transition to Microsoft latest operating system.
in windows 10 I am not able to bring up my AOL mail in windows 10 mail. I had no problem with windows 8
And another user confirms:
I’m in the same exact position. […] It reads all of my folders from AOL, but does not sync any emails!
Very frustrating really.
How can I sync AOL emails with Windows 10 mail app?
AOL is a popular email service, but despite its popularity, many users reported certain issues. Speaking of AOL issues, in this article we’re going to cover the following topics:
- AOL mail server settings – The main cause for sync problems with AOL mail are the server settings. If you have any problems with AOL mail, be sure to check if your server settings are correct.
- AOL and Windows 10 problems – There are many problems that can occur with AOL on Windows 10. If you’re having any AOL problems, be sure to try some of our solutions.
- How to add AOL email to Windows 10 – Synchronization problems can occur if you don’t add your AOL email properly. To avoid this problem, we’ll show you how to add your AOL email to Windows 10.
- AOL Mail app not working – If AOL isn’t working in the Mail app, the problem might be your antivirus. Simply disable your antivirus and check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 1 – Remove your AOL account and add it again
If you can’t sync AOL email with Windows 10 Mail app, the problem might be your email account. Sometimes your configuration file can get corrupted causing this problem to appear.
However, you can fix the issue simply by removing your AOL account. You can do that by following these steps:
- In the Mail or Calendar app, select Settings.
- Go to Manage accounts > Delete an account > select and delete the AOL account.
After you remove your account, you need to add it back again and check if the problem still persists.
Solution 2 – Check the server settings in the Mail app
Sometimes you won’t be able to sync your AOL email with Mail app due to your configuration. If your account details aren’t properly configured in the Mail app, you might encounter this problem.
However, you can always configure your account by following these steps:
- Go to Settings > Manage accounts > select the AOL account.
- Click on Mailbox Sync Settings and make sure the following settings are there:
- IMAP Username: YourUsername@aol.com
- Incoming Mail Server: imap.aol.com (Use port 143 for standard or 993 for SSL connections).
- SMTP Outgoing Server Address: smtp.aol.com. Set the port to 587.
- SMTP Username: YourUsername@aol.com.
- SMTP Password: password you use to login to Windows 10 Mail app.
[irp posts=”21241″ name=”Fix: Your Account Settings Are Out of Date in Windows 10 Mail App”]
It’s also worth mentioning that you need to use IMAP protocol in order to synchronize AOL email with Windows 10 Mail app.
POP protocol might work for other devices and email clients, but in order for AOL to work with Mail app, it’s crucial that you use IMAP.
Solution 3 – Turn on the privacy settings to let apps access your Calendar
- Go to Settings > Privacy > Calendar > Turn on the “Let apps access my calendar” feature.
- Change the sync duration:
- In your Windows 10 Mail app, go to Settings.
- Click on Account settings and select the AOL account.
- In the new dialogue box, click on AOL Sync Settings and personalize the sync duration.
After following these steps, Windows 10 Mail will start synchronizing your email accounts.
If your Windows 10 Calendar app is not working, you can fix it by following the simple steps from this guide.
Solution 4 – Check your antivirus settings
If you can’t sync AOL email with Windows 10 mail, the problem might be your antivirus. Many antivirus tools have a built-in firewall, and sometimes you might block certain applications from accessing the Internet.
To fix this problem, it’s advised to check your antivirus settings and change them. The most common problem is your firewall, so be sure that Mail app is allowed to go through your firewall.
If the firewall isn’t the problem, set your network type in your antivirus to Trusted and check if that solves the issue.
In some cases, you might be able to fix the problem by disabling your antivirus. Keep in mind that even if you disable your antivirus, your PC will remain protected by Windows Defender, so you don’t have to worry about your safety.
If disabling the antivirus doesn’t help, your last choice is to remove your antivirus.
If you’re using any antivirus solution and you want to completely remove it from your PC, be sure to check out this amazing list with the best uninstaller software you can use right now.
Sometimes removing your antivirus can solve this problem, and if you choose to remove your current antivirus, you might want to consider switching to a different antivirus solution.
Solution 5 – Run the Troubleshooter
If you can’t sync AOL email with Windows 10 Mail app, you might be able to fix the issue by running the Troubleshooter. Windows 10 comes with all sorts of troubleshooters, and these tools are designed to scan your PC and fix various problems.
Since Mail app is a Microsoft Store app, you should be able to fix its problems by running Microsoft Store Apps troubleshooter. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- When Settings app opens, go to Update & Security section.
- Select Troubleshoot from the left pane. In the right pane choose Windows Store apps and click Run the troubleshooter.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the troubleshooter.
Once the troubleshooter is finished, any common problems with Microsoft Store apps should be resolved. Keep in mind that this isn’t a universal solution, so it might not work for you.
If you’re having trouble opening the Setting app, take a look at this article to solve the issue.
Solution 6 – Disable proxy settings
Many users reported that they can’t sync their AOL email with Windows 10 Mail app. This can be a big problem for some users, and in some cases, this problem can be caused by your proxy.
Many users use proxy to protect their online privacy, but sometimes your proxy can interfere with the Mail app and cause synchronization issues.
To fix the problem, it’s recommended to disable your proxy. You can do that by following these steps:
- Open the Settings app and go to Network & Internet section.
- Select Proxy from the menu on the left. In the right pane make sure that you disable all features.
After doing that, check if the problem is resolved. If you still want to protect your identity online, a VPN is always a good option since it offers many advantages over a proxy.
Proxy server issues are pretty annoying. Make them a thing of the past with the help of this guide.
Solution 7 – Disable two-step authentication
If you’re unable to sync your AOL email with Windows 10 Mail app, the problem might be your email account. Many users use two-step authentication in order to protect their email account.
This is a good practice since malicious users won’t be able to access your email even if they steal your password.
Even though two-step authentication is a great security feature that you should definitely use, sometimes this feature can cause problems with Mail app on Windows 10.
Many users reported that they were unable to sync their AOL email with Mail app due to two-step authentication.
As a workaround, users are suggesting to disable two-step authentication for your AOL email and check if that solves the problem for you. By disabling this feature, you’ll reduce the security of your email account, so you might want to think twice before disabling it.
Solution 8 – Consider using a different email client
If you can’t sync AOL email with Windows 10 Mail app, you might want to consider using a different email client. There are many great email clients available, and if you’re looking for a new email client, be sure to check our article on best email clients for Windows 10.
If you’re looking for an email client that resembles Mail app, we recommend you to try Mailbird. On the other hand, if you want an email app that looks more like your webmail, you might want to try eM Client.
Solution 9 – Reinstall the Mail app
If you’re having problems with AOL email in the Mail app, the issue might be the Mail app. Sometimes the application can get corrupted and that can lead to certain issues.
However, you can solve most of these problems by reinstalling the Mail app. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter powershell. Right click Windows PowerShell and choose Run as administrator from the menu.
- When Powershell opens, run the following command get-appxpackage *microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps* | remove-appxpackage
- After doing that, go back to the Microsoft Store and download Mail and Calendar app again.
After you reinstall the application, check if the problem is resolved.
These are some solutions that will be able to help you with AOL email and Mail app issues, so feel free to try them all.
If you have any other suggestions or questions, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments section below and we’ll be sure to check them out.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Windows Mail App Keeps Failing
- Thunderbird vs OE Classic: what email client is best for Windows 10?
- OE Classic is a great Windows Live Mail Windows 10 alternative
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in May 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.