- A car diagnostic software is a must-have for any professional garage, roadside technician, and home mechanic in order to perform scans faster and efficiently.
- Compatible vehicles include OBD 2 ports through which your laptop, mobile, or tablet can receive diagnostic details from the OBD system.
- The software can also be handy for monitoring fuel economy or checking vehicles for emission testing.
- Looking for the best car diagnostic software that will save you time and energy to get things done faster? You may find your answer below.
Has your car broken down again? Well, that might mean another trip to the mechanic is required. And one thing your mechanic might use is vehicle diagnostic software.
This is software that presents engine and emission control diagnostic details provided by the car’s Onboard Diagnostic (OBD) system in numerical and graphic forms.
Then users can identify mechanical faults and fix them.
Before you invest in car diagnostic software, first check if your vehicle is OBD 2 compatible.
Modern European and U.S. cars have On-board Diagnostic systems that monitor engines and emission-related controls.
To check your car’s compatibility, have a look through its manual. You can usually find OBD 2 slots around the dashboard, gear stick, or handbrake.
If your car is OBD compatible, you’ll need either a USB connector cable or Bluetooth-enabled OBD adapter scan tool for laptops or other devices.
You can use an adapter scan tool that slots into the OBD 2 port if your laptop is Bluetooth enabled.
With a suitable connector cable or scan tool, you can then connect your Windows PC or mobile to the OBD system and make the most of this car diagnostic software.
Best automotive tools for easy car diagnosis
In this article, we will help you choose the best car diagnostic software that fits your needs, answering such questions as:
- Which OBD software export data for offline use on my PC?
- How do I choose my OBD software?
- Does it read the manufacturer’s error codes?
- Does it tune the car?
What is the best OBD software?
Toad is one of the best OBD tools out there. It allows you to run a full and comprehensive check on your vehicle.
TOAD is an affordable diagnostic software that works with both OBD1 and OBD2 automobiles, covering most car models. To get the most out of this life-saving program, however, you should match it with the proper ELM327 adapter.
The good news is that you can get the adaptor from TOAD, saving time from looking elsewhere.
How we test, review and rate?
We have worked for the past 6 months on building a new review system on how we produce content. Using it, we have subsequently redone most of our articles to provide actual hands-on expertise on the guides we made.
For more details you can read how we test, review, and rate at WindowsReport.
Using customizable graphs, this tool makes it possible for you to understand the state of your car’s systems and helps you solve all the possible problems that may occur.
One of the most powerful features is the possibility to tune and reprogram your car ECU chip data.
Other important features include: diagnosing common problems, optimizing fuel consumption, showing and fixing many problems without a professional mechanic, revealing your car’s CO2 emissions.
Let’s quickly look at its key features:
- Clear your Check Engine Light
- Pass Emissions Testing
- Supports multiple controller modules (ISO-9141, ISO-14230, ISO-15765 CAN and more)
- Supports multiple OBD protocols (OBD1, OBD2, EOBD, JOBD, ADR, and JDM)
- Monitors real-time data (including engine temperature, O2 value, RPM, speedometer, battery voltage, ignition angle, etc.)
- Analyze fault codes and get solutions (extensive OBD2 code analysis from a built-in database of over 15,000 fault code definitions)
- ECU Chip Tuning, Correction, Remapping
- ECU Map Editor (contains 14,000+ optimized car ECU map files)
Alternatively, you might save it and perform the analysis later. In any event, TOAD gives you enough time to do an accurate analysis of the real-time data.
The program, however, only retrieves codes from the engine and gearbox systems. So you won’t know whether the fault is in another system, such as ABS or SRS.
In order to answer all your needs, the software comes with a full guide that will help you detect and understand the errors and problems found on your vehicle.
Moreover, it will give you some tips on how to fix these issues in the most effective way.
TOAD Scanning ToolFind out what problems your car has with this incredibly handy PC software tool, and fix it like a pro in no time!
The Outils OBD Facile team’s KlavKarr automobile diagnostic software allows you to use ELM327 interfaces (ELM320, ELM322, and ELM323 are also supported).
KlavKarr works with all OBD2 vehicles, so you can easily diagnose a problem and turn off the malfunction indicator light.
These are the key features of KlavKarr:
- Suitable for diesel, gasoline, GPL, and hybrid engines
- It connects to the ELM327 interfaces. Computer for transmission
- OBD2 trouble codes are read and decoded into text.
- Prints and saves graphs from customized reports.
- Checks the consistency of vehicle sensor values such as oxygen, systems, and so on.
- Conversions/calculations based on registered sensors
- Supports ISO 15765-4, ISO 14230-4, and ISO 9141-2 standards.
The EOBD Facile application is based on the OBD2 standard for engine and transmission computers. This specification was enforced on manufacturers, which means that all automobiles, to varying degrees, are compatible.
The downside is that this software is strictly for diagnosis and cannot be used to modify an ECU. Unfortunately, the airbag, ABS, and ESP computers are not covered by the EOBD standard. Only the manufacturer’s kit can perform a diagnosis in this instance.
ProDemand from Mitchell1 combines a unique mix of knowledge and expertise to assist car repair specialists of any experience level in increasing accuracy and efficiency from diagnosis to repair various issues.
You can create a diagnostic plan using Real Fixes, Top Repairs, Causes and Fixes, and other resources to save diagnostic time and improve accuracy.
When you look for a code, symptom, or component, SureTrack data is seamlessly merged with OEM data as part of the special ProDemand functionality.
Here are the main features of ProDemand:
- The Causes and Fixes feature depicts the connection between them and other components.
- Waveforms serve as a reference point for identifying problematic components.
- Location and functioning of car components
- End views of connectors with graphics illustrating the connection and identifying the function of each pin
- Finds the appropriate component to test and the pin/s to test
Every system – from ABS to Transmissions and beyond – is covered with shop-tested suggestions and test methods using the ProDemand auto diagnosis tool.
Based on your vehicle’s model, mileage, codes, components, and symptoms, you will be able to identify the optimal repair.
On top of that, with Mitchell1 ProDemand you have access to professional information based on over 1 billion repair records spanning nearly any year/make/model combination you’re likely to encounter in your business.
OBDwiz is a reliable automotive diagnostic software with a highly versatile infrastructure.
Packed with useful features, this tool will verify your emissions readiness, improve your fuel economy, and help you troubleshoot any issues affecting your vehicle.
You have overall control over polling rates and priorities. OBDwiz displays vehicle information such as the VIN number and calibration ID, as well as an OBD console for directly transferring instructions to the vehicle
It is designed for single and multi-core CPUs and offers free, continuous upgrades for any changes in the industry.
Let’s quickly look at its key features:
- Supports all OBD-II compliant vehicles
- Customizable real-time dashboard display
- Record and playback of monitored data
- Export data logging to CSV format
- Diagnostic trouble codes
- Read freeze frame data
- Fuel economy MPG or km/l calculation
- Recording and playback of monitored data
It’s not only compatible with most PC-based scan tools, but it’s also flexible enough to seamlessly work with every Windows version from Vista to v2004.
Plus, it’s easy to install, it comes with an intuitive interface and it’s touchscreen-friendly.
So these are our picks for the best OBD software to easily diagnose faulty vehicles.
While these tools are perfectly capable of providing you with enough details for basic repairs, you’ll still need to consult a mechanic if the problem is serious enough.
Here’s more about OBD II Splitters, if you don’t know exactly how they work. Take a look at our pick for Digital Software as well to discover more useful tools.
- OBD2 connects remotely, whereas OBD connects to the vehicle’s central console
- OBD is no longer available on newer car models
- OBD2 is more reliable than OBD
- Can I connect my laptop to my car?
Yes, you can do that, but you’ll need a suitable nOBD/OBD2 scan cable and car diagnostics software.
You connect the scan cable to your vehicle’s diagnostics port, turn the ignition key to the On position without starting the engine, and fire up the software. The program should be able to recognize the car.
Although all of the auto diagnostics tools on our list can help you get speedy results, we believe TOAD-Pro will deliver more accurate answers faster.
Let us know in the comments area below what tools you use to handle auto diagnostics, and which one is the most accurate.