TOAD-Pro is one of the best car diagnostic software tools you can download on Windows to perform a quick and effective diagnosis of your car. Thus, you can use it to check exactly what’s going on under the hood of your car. TOAD-Pro can help you detect problems and even eliminate faulty codes.
This tool is actually an all-in-one OBD2 scanning software solution for ELM327 interfaces. That means it lets you perform comprehensive health and performance analysis on your car. Even more, you can also optimize some of the parameters, where possible.
TOAD-Pro system requirements
Like any other software solution that you can think of, TOAD-Pro comes with a bunch of system requirements. Therefore, if you have a Windows-running PC, the battle’s already half won. Let’s take a look at the complete list of requirements.
- OS: Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP (both 32- and 64-bit)
- Hardware: any laptop or touch tablet (e.g. Surface PRO)
When you order TOAD-Pro, you should receive a compatible interface that will help you connect your car to your laptop. However, if you plan on using your own interface, you should take these things into consideration:
For OBD2 vehicles: you can get an ELM327 USB cable, Bluetooth adapter, or WiFi interface
Note: TOAD-Pro supports all ELM327 scanning tools, such as OBDKEY, OBDLink, OBDPros, or Kiwi.
For OBD1 vehicles: get an ALDL cable.
- Can handle a lot of car-related checks and scans
- Can help you tune your car in some cases
- Supports a lot of sensors
- Handles multiple vehicles
- Freeze-frame data display
- Can only check two car systems (engine and transmission)
- Only compatible with ELM327 adapters
Diagnose, test and tune your car with TOAD-Pro
First thing’s first, TOAD stands for Total OBD & ECU Auto Diagnostics. Although its name alone is pretty suggestive, let’s get into more detail and find out what you can use it for. For starters, it lets you interface your car and perform various scans and checks on it.
Furthermore, if you’re an expert, you can even optimize the performances of your vehicle. You can use TOAD-Pro to tune, edit, and reprogram your car’s ECU (Engine Control Unit) chip. This operation is frequently referred to as “tuning,” as you’ve surely heard this term before.
Car manuals for mechanics and amateurs
If you’re worried about not being able to figure things out entirely, don’t fret. TOAD-Pro comes with an extensive collection of manuals that include pictures, instructions, schematics, patches, and even PCB layouts.
Since most of the information available in the manuals is laid out in a step-by-step, intuitive manner, you should be able to understand it without significant efforts, even as an average home user. Furthermore, the manuals also have complex sections for more advanced users such as mechanics.
FAQ: Learn more about TOAD-Pro
- What systems are supported on my car?
TOAD-Pro enables you to scan your vehicle’s transmission and engine systems. This tool is not able to scan for brakes, airbags, or ABS, which should be handled by professionals.
- Can I run Toad-Pro from a flash drive?
Yes, you can. If you include a USB flash drive in your Toad-Pro order, the company ships it to your door.
- What software is included?
As mentioned above, TOAD-Pro is not a software tool, but a collection of such programs. The tools available in the TOAD-Pro collection are divided into 4 categories. Namely: OBD2 software, OBD1 software, ECU chip tuning, and editing tools, as well as manuals, ECU map files, and radio decryptors.
- Is my car OBD1 or OBD2?
If your car’s manufacture date is before 1995 or older, chances are it’s an OBD1 type. OBD2 became a requirement in 1996, and all manufacturers needed to adhere to these regulations. Here’s a list of the best car diagnostics software to help you figure it out.
Overview of TOAD-Pro features
- Clear the dreaded “Check Engine” light
- Prepare for the emission test and see if you can pass it before taking it
- Use TOAD-Pro on various OBD1 and OBD2 cars
- Supports modern vehicles that come with encrypted ECUs
- Can handle several protocols such as CAN Bus, ISO-9141, ELM327, CAN (11- and 29-bit), and ISO-14230
- Supports OBD1, OBD2, EOBD, ADR, JDM, and JOBD protocols
- Works even when the car is moving or ignition is on
- Monitor various parameters like O2 value, RPM, engine temperature, battery voltage or speedometer
- Perform fault code analysis and get potential solutions
- Tune, remap or correct your ECU chip
- Comprises more than 14,000 ECU map files
- Has an extensive database of more than 15,000 fault code definitions
- Results tab for the oxygen sensor test
- Perform adjustments on your sensors’ ranges, units, scaling value, and sampling rate
- Boost your car’s BHP (Brake Horse Power) if supported
- Decode the security code of your car stereo system
- Decode CAL ID and CVN
- Record sensor data and play it back to your own needs
- Identify control units completely with info such as software/hardware version, manufacturer or part number
- Lets you export and import log files for analyzing them offline
- Perform “snapshots” of your OBD2 sensor data by using the freeze-frame feature
- Audio warning when a scanned value reaches abnormal values
- Keep track of multiple vehicles at the same time
- Unlimited data logging, space-wise and time-wise
- Imperial and Metric both supported
- Detect real fuel consumption, regardless of its nature (Diesel, petrol, gas)
- Works with both 12- and 24-volt batteries
- Lets you know the exact status of your DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) and EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation)
- Perform DPF and EGR regeneration, which is critical for diesel vehicles
- Put various components of your vehicle into “test mode” to check they’re actually functioning optimally
- car diagnostics, OBD, OBD2