- Chrome Remote Desktop app allows you to access your PC from another computer using a PIN remotely.
- However, at times the Remote Desktop app may malfunction resulting in an error as discussed in the article below.
- If the issue persists, check out our dedicated Chrome browser section for more troubleshooting tips.
- Consider bookmarking our Chrome apps hub for future updates.
Chrome Remote Desktop allows you to securely access your computer from your phone, tablet, or another computer. That said, several Chrome Remote Desktop users have reported the app to be not working.
The Chrome Remote Desktop not working issue can occur due to a glitch in Chrome or the Remote Desktop app, an issue with the PIN feature, or even permission issues.
Disabling the PIN feature and reinstalling Chrome and the Remote Desktop app seems to have fixed the issue for many.
In this article, we have listed a couple of troubleshooting steps to help you resolve the Chrome Remote Desktop not working issue.
What can I do if Chrome Remote Desktop is not working?
1. Disable the PIN feature
- Open the Chrome Remote Desktop’s official website from your host computer.
- Scroll down to This device.
- Click the View/Edit link beside This computer is configured to allow one or more clients to connect without entering a PIN section.
- Click Delete All.
- Chrome Desktop will remove all saved devices that can access the computer without a PIN.
- Go back to the Remote Desktop application.
- Click the Share button.
- Chrome will display a new PIN that you can use to connect to other devices.
- Enter the code and check if the Remote Desktop connection is working.
The Chrome Desktop app allows you to connect to your computer using other devices using a PIN. However, this feature is reportedly causing issues with the connection. Disabling the feature and removing the devices has resolved the issue for many users.
Check for permission issues
- Whenever you install an app that can make a modification to your system or be able to transfer a file, Windows will prompt you to grant permission to the app.
- Make sure you have granted requested permission for the app. If you missed the permission window, check your taskbar to see if it is in the background.
2. Repair / Reinstall Chrome Remote Desktop
Repair Chrome Remote Desktop tool
- Press Windows Key + R.
- Type control and click OK.
- Go to Programs > Programs and Features.
- Select Chrome Remote Desktop Host from the list of installed apps.
- Click the Repair button.
- Click Yes when prompted by UAC.
- Wait for the repair tool to fix any issues with the app.
- Try connecting using the app and check if the issue is resolved.
Uninstall Remote Desktop tool
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
- Type appwiz.cpl and click OK.
- Select Chrome Remote Desktop Host.
- Click on Uninstall.
- Click Yes to confirm the action.
- Once uninstalled, go to Chrome Remote Desktop and reinstall the app.
If the issue persists even after uninstalling Remote Desktop Host, reinstall Google Chrome.
Reinstall Google Chrome
- Make sure Chrome Remote Desktop is uninstalled.
- Next, press the Windows key and type control.
- Click on Control Panel.
- Click on Uninstall Program.
- Select Google Chrome and click on Uninstall.
- Click Yes to confirm the action.
- Once uninstalled, reinstall Google Chrome.
- Also, reinstall the Chrome Remote Desktop app.
Once both the apps are installed, use the Remote Desktop app to check if the connection issue is resolved.
3. Use the Chrome Desktop Remote web app
- Open the Chrome Remote Desktop page.
- Open the Remote Access section.
- Click the Download button.
- In the new window, click on Add to Chrome.
- Click on Add extension to confirm.
- Once installed, click the Chrome Remote Desktop extension icon.
- Under Setup Remote Access, click on Turn On.
- Use the PIN to access your computer remotely.
The Chrome Remote Desktop not working issue usually occur due to a glitch in the Chrome or Remote Desktop app. You can fix the issue by reinstalling the applications or by simply resetting the PIN feature. Do let us know which feature helped you resolve the issue in the comments.
FAQ: Learn more about Chrome Remote Desktop not working
- Why is Chrome Remote Desktop not working?
Chrome Remote Desktop can stop working due to a glitch in the app or Chrome browser. Try disabling the PIN feature, or check your security software to fix the issue.
- Does Chrome need to be open for the Remote Desktop?
To be able to use Chrome Remote Desktop, both the host and receiver computer must-have a Chrome browser installed for the service to work.
- Which remote desktop software is best?
Some of the popular remote desktop software includes Chrome Remote Desktop, Teamviewer, RemotePC, and LogMeIn Pro.