- Chrome Remote Desktop not working? There are several quick and easy ways to fix this issue.
- If you're having issues with Chrome Remote Desktop, you can always switch to a different remote control software.
- A number of users reported that they fixed issues with Remote Desktop by modifying the registry.
- If Chrome Remote Desktop is stuck on starting, perhaps your installation is corrupted, and it needs repair.
Chrome Remote Desktop allows you to securely access your computer from your phone, tablet, or another computer. That said, several Chrome Remote Desktop users have reported the app to be not working.
The Chrome Remote Desktop not working issue can occur due to a glitch in Chrome or the Remote Desktop app, an issue with the PIN feature, or even permission issues.
Disabling the PIN feature and reinstalling Chrome and the Remote Desktop app seems to have fixed the issue for many.
In this article, we have listed a couple of troubleshooting steps to help you resolve the Chrome Remote Desktop not working issue.
Google Chrome isn’t the only web browser that has remote desktop capabilities, so instead of trying to fix Chrome, might as well switch to another browser, such as Opera.
The browser includes an ad-blocker, a tracking blocker, and even a full-fledged VPN. Additionally, it is highly customizable via extensions, and they can also help with turning Opera into a remote desktop manager.
An ultra-fast web browser that can be tweaked into becoming a remote desktop manager. Get it now since it is completely free!
What can I do if Chrome Remote Desktop is not working?
1. Disable the PIN feature
- Press Windows Key + R and enter regedit. Press Enter or click OK.
- Navigate to the following key:
- Right-click the Policies key and choose New and then select Key.
- Enter Google as the name of the new key.
- Navigate to the newly created Google key.
- Right-click the Google key, choose New, and select Key.
- Enter Chrome as the name of the new key.
- Navigate to the Chrome key you just created.
- Right-click the empty space in the right pane and choose New and select DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Set the name of the DWOD to RemoteAccessHostAllowClientPairing. Double-click the newly created DWORD.
- Change Value data to 1 and click OK.
The Chrome Desktop app allows you to connect to your computer using other devices using a PIN.
However, this feature is reportedly causing issues with the connection. Disabling the feature and removing the devices has resolved the issue for many users.
Check for permission issues
- Whenever you install an app that can make a modification to your system or be able to transfer a file, Windows will prompt you to grant permission to the app.
- Make sure you have granted requested permission for the app. If you missed the permission window, check your taskbar to see if it is in the background.
2. Repair / Reinstall Chrome Remote Desktop
Repair Chrome Remote Desktop tool
- Press Windows Key + R. Type control panel and click OK.
- Go to Programs and Features.
- Select Chrome Remote Desktop Host from the list of installed apps. Click the Repair button.
- Click Yes when prompted by UAC.
- Wait for the repair tool to fix any issues with the app.
- Try connecting using the app and check if the issue is resolved.
Uninstall Remote Desktop tool
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
- Type appwiz.cpl and click OK.
- Select Chrome Remote Desktop Host. Click on Uninstall.
- Click Yes to confirm the action.
- Once uninstalled, go to Chrome Remote Desktop and reinstall the app.
If the issue persists even after uninstalling Remote Desktop Host, reinstall Google Chrome.
Reinstall Google Chrome
- Make sure Chrome Remote Desktop is uninstalled.
- Next, press the Windows key and type control.
- Click on Control Panel.
- Click on Uninstall Program.
- Select Google Chrome and click on Uninstall.
- Click Yes to confirm the action.
- Once uninstalled, reinstall Google Chrome.
- Also, reinstall the Chrome Remote Desktop app.
Once both the apps are installed, use the Remote Desktop app to check if the connection issue is resolved.
If you find that these solutions can’t fix your issues, check out this list of the best remote control software and their most important features. There might be a tool that works great for you. We suggest you try Mikogo, one of the most reliable and safe remote desktop software.
The Chrome Remote Desktop not working issue usually occur due to a glitch in the Chrome or Remote Desktop app. You can fix the issue by reinstalling the applications or by simply resetting the PIN feature.
Do let us know which feature helped you resolve the issue in the comments.
Frequently Asked Questions
Chrome Remote Desktop can stop working due to a glitch in the app or Chrome browser. Try disabling the PIN feature, or check your antivirus software to fix the issue.
To be able to use Chrome Remote Desktop, both the host and receiver computer must-have a Google Chrome browser installed for the service to work.
Some of the popular remote desktop software includes Chrome Remote Desktop, Teamviewer, RemotePC, and LogMeIn Pro.