- iTunes library can become clogged and untidy, so deleting the library can be beneficial.
- Deleting the iTunes library doesn’t delete the iTunes app on your PC.
- Renaming the iTunes Library.itl and iTunes Music Library.xml files on Mac and Windows will delete the library and create new library files.
For some reason, users may want to clear out their music library from their PC. It may help to remove unwanted batches of music downloads or to establish a new library. Hence, we’ll go through how to delete the iTunes library from the PC.
Also, users can check how to move the iTunes library to Dropbox to keep it safe or share it with other users.
Many users are curious whether deleting the iTunes library deletes the iTunes app from their computer. The straightforward answer to the question is no. Deleting the iTunes library doesn’t affect its client on your PC.
Furthermore, deleting the iTunes library will remove all your music, playlists, and other items available in your iTunes library.
Also, clearing out your iTunes library doesn’t affect your purchase rights on your items. You can easily download them or create a backup copy for your iTunes library somewhere.
In short, deleting your iTunes library doesn’t delete its app from your PC. Instead, it is a way to remove unwanted or clogged libraries without using software to fix your iTunes library on Windows 11.
Before proceeding, we recommend you check our guide on how to find and change iTunes backup location in Windows 11. It’ll help keep the library and other iTunes items intact if you run into problems with the library delete process.
Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken.
We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click here to download and start repairing.
Follow the steps below to delete the iTunes music library from your PC:
1. Delete from the iTunes folder
1.1 Via Windows
- Close the iTunes app on your computer and press Windows + E key to open Windows Explorer.
- Navigate to the Music folder, then click on the iTunes folder.
- Delete the iTunes Library.itl and iTunes Music Library.xml files in the folder.
- Restart iTunes and check if you have successfully cleared the library.
Deleting the iTunes Library.itl and iTunes Music Library.xml files will remove their properties on the app. Check how to fix the PC not authorized to run iTunes error if you run into it on your computer.
1.2 Via Mac
- Close the iTunes app on your Mac, click on Go at the top bar of the screen, then click on Home.
- Double-click the Music folder and click on iTunes.
- Find and delete the iTunes Library.itl and iTunes Music Library.xml.
- Launch iTunes and check if you have successfully cleared the library.
The steps will delete the iTunes library from your MacBook.
2. Reset iTunes Library
2.1 For Windows
- Press Windows + E key to open File Explorer.
- Navigate to the following location:
- Right-click the iTunes Library.itl file, select Rename from the drop-down, and change the name to iTunes Library.old.
- Right-click the iTunes Music Library.xml file, select Rename from the drop-down, then input iTunes Music Library.old.
- Restart the iTunes app.
Resetting the iTunes library will create new iTunes Library.itl and iTunes Music Library.xml files on your PC. Read our guide on what to do if iTunes won’t open on Windows 11.
2.2 For Mac
- Close the iTunes app on your Mac, click on Go at the top bar of the screen, and click on Home.
- Double-tap the Music folder and click on iTunes.
- Right-click on iTunes Library.itl file and rename the file as iTunes Library.old.
- Right-click on the iTunes Music Library.xml file and rename the file as iTunes Music Library.old.
- Launch iTunes and check if your iTunes library is reset.
Renaming the iTunes Library.itl and iTunes Music Library.xml files will reset their components and create new ones.
3. Manually clear iTunes Library
- Open iTunes on your PC.
- Click on the Media Type you want to edit (Music, Movies, Podcasts, etc.)
- Select the Items you want to remove from the iTunes library and press the Delete key. OR
- Press Ctrl + A key to highlight all items in the selected media section, then press the Delete key. (For Windows)
- Press Command + A key to highlight all items in the selected media section, then press the Delete key. (For Mac)
- Repeat the above steps for other media types you want to clear out from the iTunes library.
The manual delete approach gives users the liberty to exempt some items in the library from the delete process.
In conclusion, our readers can check our guide about what to do if Windows 11 deleted iTunes Library without the user’s consent.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.