The mouse and the keyboard are the main ways to interact with a PC. If any of them fail, then this could ruin your entire experience. That’s exactly what happened to some Windows 10 users.
They have posted on the Microsoft support forum about the regular keyboard direction keys moving the mouse cursor. One user stated:
When I press the regular direction keys on my keyboard, my cursor moves in the direction I am pressing. I would like my cursor not to move when I press the direction keys.
If you’re on the same boat, here’s how you can stop the direction keys moving the mouse.
What can I do if direction keys are moving my mouse cursor?
1. Close MS Paint with Task Manager
- Users have fixed the direction keys moving the mouse cursor by closing the MS Paint background process. To do that, right-click the taskbar and select Task Manager.
- Then select the Processes tab if not already selected.
- Select Paint listed under Background processes.
- Click the End task button.
2. Turn off Mouse Keys
- If the above resolution doesn’t fix the issue, users might need to turn off Mouse Keys via Settings. To do so, press the Windows key + S hotkey.
- Enter the keyword ‘Mouse Keys’ in Windows 10’s search box.
- Click Turn Mouse Keys on or off to open the window shown directly below.
- Toggle the Turn on Mouse keys to use the numeric keypad to move the mouse pointer option off if it’s on.
- Users can also press the Num Lock key to turn off Mouse Keys if it’s on.
- Alternatively, open the Control Panel and click Ease of Access Center.
- Then click Make the mouse easier to use to open further settings, and deselect the Turn on Mouse Keys option.
3. Remove third-party background software from the startup
- If the above resolutions don’t fix it, try removing third-party programs from the startup that might cause the arrow keys to move the cursor (such as NeatMouse). Right-click the taskbar and select Task Manager to open that utility.
- Click the Start-up tab shown directly below.
- Then select superfluous third-party software there.
- Click the Disable button to leave a selected program out of the system startup.
Those resolutions will probably stop the direction keys moving cursors for most users. Users who have fixed the same issue with other resolutions are welcome to share them below.
Also, if you have any other questions or suggestions, don’t hesitate to leave them there as well.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT:
- How do I get my cursor back on Windows 10?
- FIX: Cursor freezes, jumps or disappears in Windows 10, 8 or 7
- FIX: Windows 10 cursor selects everything