Windows 10 update breaks full screen optimizations in games
It seems that the latest Windows 10 update broke the option to “Disable full screen optimizations” that was supposed to fix stuttering and FPS drops. Thankfully, a user posted on Reddit the solution on how to enable it back. The user says that it’s not very clear why Microsoft keeps doing this, but the conclusion is that such actions make Windows 10 less likable.
Disable full screen optimizations [FIX]
Here are the instructions as posted on Reddit to fix the issue:
- Find your league executable.
- Quickest way is to open task manager with a custom match open, right click the League of Legends with the old logo, and open file location.
- Right click and go to Properties.
- Tab to the Compatibility tab, and “enable” disable full screen optimizations.
- Exit the game, you will see the effect of the change next time you load into a match.
Another Reddit user notes an interesting thing, saying that by “Unchecking Windows Settings > Gaming > Game Bar > show game bar when I play full-screen games Microsoft has verified and record clips, screenshots…disables this effect globally (all games and apps that run on exclusive fullscreen).”
The user notes two essential things. For starters, it looks like this effect only works with verified Windows games, probably games, and apps purchased from the Microsoft Store; therefore League might not be affected at all.
The second thing worth noting is that the full screen optimizations is a hybrid full-screen mode. The Standard Full screen Windows Mode passes everything through the desktop compositor and this forces triple-buffered V-Sync to be used, and it also adds a latency frame. The new presentation mode is able to bypass the compositor, and it reduces latency, allowing users to disable the V-Sync. It also allows for fast Alt-Tabbing if there is no display mode switching.
You can go even deeper into the issue to heading over to the Reddit thread and read other opinions as well.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- 6 of the best games for low-spec Windows 10 laptops
- 5 of the best flight simulator games for PC
- Here are 5 best software to backup Xbox 360 games just in case