- If your Discord camera is not working, you won't be able to make any video calls.
- Disconnecting any other USB devices has shown to resolve this issue in some cases.
- Modifying your camera settings can also show good results when paired with all the other suggested solutions.
- In case the Discord camera doesn't work, try to update the related drivers.
Discord is a messaging app that users can utilize their cameras for video calls. However, some people have posted on forums about the Discord camera not working for them. Consequently, they can’t utilize their devices with this app.
We understand how annoying it can be, especially when you’re used to running Discord every day.
Fortunately, you don’t have to worry! We compiled a series of solutions that will help you to solve this irritating issue.
Before presenting the main fixes, let’s have a look at some reasons why your camera is not working on Discord.
Why is my camera not working in Discord?
In some cases, Discord simply might not be detecting user webcams. However, other users have said they have webcam black screen issues in Windows 10 even though Discord detects and seemingly can access their cameras.
Those are slightly different scenarios, but users can’t utilize their cameras with the Discord software either way.
Discord camera unavailable issues can arise when cameras aren’t properly connected or installed. However, such issues can also be due to outdated webcam drivers.
If you see black screens in Discord even when your camera seemingly is available, your Discord software installation might be corrupted. Or you might be utilizing an outdated Windows 10 build version.
What can I do if the Discord camera is not working?
1. Launch Discord as an administrator
- Hit the Windows key, type Discord, then right-click on the first result and select the Run as administrator option.
2. Check the camera app access settings
- Press the Windows + S keys at the same time to open the search box.
- Type camera settings, then select Choose which apps can access your camera to open the window in the snapshot directly below.
- Toggle the Allow apps to access your camera option on if it’s disabled.
3. Unplug other USB devices
If you’re trying to utilize Discord with an external USB camera, unplug all other USB devices (including the mouse) from their ports.
After restarting Windows, only plug in your USB camera. Try connecting the camera with all your PC’s USB ports if it still doesn’t work with Discord.
In case your USB ports are not working and you’ll need to use them, make sure you check some easy fixes.
4. Update your camera drivers
4.1 Manually update drivers
- In the Windows search box, type Device Manager, then open it.
- Expand the Cameras section.
- Right-click on your camera, then choose to Update driver.
- Select Search automatically for drivers.
- If the best drivers are already installed, you’ll be notified.
- In case your system finds new drivers to update, follow the on-screen instructions.
Additionally, you have the chance to update your camera drivers or other ones automatically with specialized driver software.
DriverFix is a practical tool that can handle any drivers with automated updating tools, so you don’t need to worry about system issues or malfunctions.
It’s also possible to install or find missing driver versions from an extensive database with millions of driver files.
Plus, you can even create a restore point for any drivers in case you need a backup for unexpected circumstances.
5. Turn off Discord Hardware Acceleration
- Hit the Windows key, type Discord, then open the first result.
- Click the User Settings button.
- Click on the Advanced section.
- Turn off the Hardware Acceleration option.
- Click the Okay button to confirm.
6. Update Windows 10 to the latest build version
- Hit the Windows key, type update, then choose to Check for updates to open the Settings app as in the shot directly below.
- If a build update is available, click Download and install.
- Click Check for updates to download the latest patch updates if a new Windows 10 version isn’t available.
7. Reinstall Discord
- Use the following keyboard shortcut: Windows + S.
- Type Apps & Features, then open the first result as shown directly below.
- Next, select the Discord app.
- Press the Uninstall button and confirm by clicking Uninstall again.
- Press the Windows + R keys simultaneously and type %appdata% in the dialog that opens.
- Right-click the Discord folder in File Explorer and select Delete.
- Now use again the following keyboard shortcut: Windows + R, then type %LocalAppData%, and hit the Enter key.
- Right-click the Discord folder in Local to select Delete.
- Restart your desktop or laptop.
- Click Download for Windows on the Discord website, and follow the on-screen instructions.
Those are some of the potential resolutions that can fix camera issues for the Discord software.
If you still need more potential fixes, however, send a support ticket from Discord’s Submit a request page.
There’s also a Discord web app you can utilize in browsers by clicking the Open Discord in your browser button.