Fix: DRIVER_PORTION_MUST_BE_NONPAGED error on Windows 10
Blue Screen of Death errors can be caused by both hardware and software issues, and what’s common for all these errors is that they crash Windows 10 and restart your computer in order to prevent damage. Since these errors are serious, today we’re going to show you how to fix DRIVER_PORTION_MUST_BE_NONPAGED error.
How to fix DRIVER_PORTION_MUST_BE_NONPAGED BSoD error
Table of contents:
- Update your drivers and keep Windows 10 up to date
- Run the Hardware Troubleshooter
- Run the SFC scan
- Run DISM
- Uninstall a problematic application or driver
- Reset Windows 10
- Check your hardware
Fix – DRIVER_PORTION_MUST_BE_NONPAGED Windows 10 error
Solution 1 – Update your drivers and keep Windows 10 up to date
Outdated or buggy drivers can cause Blue Screen of Death errors to appear on Windows 10, therefore it’s crucial that you keep them up to date. Updating your drivers is relatively simple, and you can download all the necessary drivers right from your hardware manufacturer’s website.
DRIVER_PORTION_MUST_BE_NONPAGED error sometimes can tell you which file caused the crash, and with little research you can find what driver you need to update. If you’re not sure which driver is causing this error, it’s usually the best that you update all your drivers.
Downloading drivers is important if you want to prevent BSoD errors, but it’s also important that you download latest Windows 10 updates. Microsoft is constantly fixing hardware and software issues, and you can download the latest patches by using Windows Update. Even though these patches fix many hardware and software issues, they also offer security improvements and new features, therefore if you wish to keep your PC safe and error-free, we strongly advise you to update Windows 10 frequently.
Update drivers automatically
Searching for drivers on your own can be time-consuming. So, we advise you to use a tool that will do this for you automatically. Using an automatic driver updater will certainly save you from the hassle of searching for drivers manually, and it will always keep your system up to date with the latest drivers.
Tweakbit’s Driver Updater (approved by Microsoft and Norton Antivirus) will help you update drivers automatically and prevent PC damage caused by installing the wrong driver versions. After several tests, our team concluded that this is the best-automatized solution.
Here is a quick guide on how to use it:
- Download and install TweakBit Driver Updater
- Once installed, the program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically. Driver Updater will check your installed driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
- Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. To update one driver at a time, click the ‘Update driver’ link next to the driver name. Or simply click the ‘Update all’ button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.
Note: Some drivers need to be installed in multiple steps so you will have to hit the ‘Update’ button several times until all of its components are installed.
Solution 2 – Run the Hardware Troubleshooter
Another thing we can try is running Windows 10’s built-in troubleshooting tool. This tool is designed to deal with various system issues, including BSODs. So, it might be helpful in this case, as well.
Here’s how to run Windows 10’s built-in troubleshooter:
- Open the Settings app and go to Update & Security section.
- Select Troubleshoot from the menu on the left.
- Select BSOD from the right pane and click Run the troubleshooter.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the troubleshooter.
Solution 3 – Run the SFC scan
The SFC scan is a command-line tool that basically scans your computer for potential errors, and resolves them if the solution is available. Among other errors that the SFC scan can help with are the BSOD issues.
Here’s how to run the SFC scan in Windows 10:
- Right-click on the Start Menu button, and open Command Prompt (Admin).
- Enter the following line and press Enter: sfc/scannow
- Wait until the process is done (it may take a while).
- If the solution is found, it will automatically be applied.
- Now, close the Command Prompt and restart your computer.
Solution 4 – Run DISM
DISM is yet another command-line troubleshooter that we can use if the previous ones failed to resolve the issue. In fact, DISM might be the msot powerful troubleshooter, because it freshly deploys the system image.
We’ll walk you through both standard and the procedure that utilizes the installation media below:
- Standard way
- Right-click Start and open Command Prompt (Admin).
- Paste the following command and press Enter:
- Wait until the scan is finished.
- Restart your computer and try updating again.
- With the Windows installation media
- Insert your Windows installation media.
- Right-click the Start menu and, from the menu, choose the Command Prompt (Admin).
- In the command line, type the following commands and press Enter after each:
- dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
- dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
- Now, type the following command and press Enter:
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:SourcesInstall.wim:1 /LimitAccess
- Make sure to change an X value with the letter of the mounted drive with Windows 10 installation.
- After the procedure is finished, restart your computer.
Solution 5 – Uninstall a problematic application or driver
Software can often cause DRIVER_PORTION_MUST_BE_NONPAGED error to appear, and it’s worth mentioning that almost any installed software can cause this error, therefore if you installed or updated any software recently be sure that you remove it or revert to the previous version.
Common cause for Blue Screen of Death errors can be your antivirus software or firewall, and if you want to fix this error you might have to temporarily uninstall your antivirus and firewall. Even if you uninstall your antivirus, your computer won’t be defenseless since Windows 10 comes with its own antivirus program called Windows Defender. In order to fix these errors it’s not enough just to uninstall all third-party antivirus programs, you also have to remove all files related to your antivirus software. To do that you must use dedicated removal software, and you can download this program from your antivirus developer’s website.
In addition to third-party software, Blue Screen of Death errors can be caused by certain drivers, and in order to fix this error, you’ll have to find and uninstall the problematic driver. Few users reported that this error was fixed after uninstalling AMD CPU driver, so you might want to try that. To uninstall a certain driver from Windows 10, do the following:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Power User Menu. Select Device Manager from the list.
- When Device Manager opens, locate the driver you want to uninstall, right click it and select Uninstall from the list.
- After the driver is uninstalled, restart your PC.
When your PC restarts, Windows 10 will install the default driver. If the default driver works and your system is stable, you can continue using it, or you can try to update that driver.
Few users reported that certain Nvidia tools caused this problem, and they managed to fix it after removing those tools. If you have Nvidia maintenance or update tool be sure to remove it and check if that fixes this error.
If this error is caused by certain software, you can easily fix it by performing Windows 10 reset. We have to warn you that Windows 10 reset is similar to clean install, therefore we urge you to back up your important files from C partition. To perform Windows 10 reset you might need a bootable USB flash drive with Windows 10 on it, and you can easily create one by using Media Creation tool. To perform Windows 10 reset, do the following:
- Hold Shift key on your keyboard and click the Restart button. Alternatively, you can start the Automatic Repair by restarting your computer few times during the boot sequence.
- Choose Troubleshoot > Reset this PC > Remove everything. During this step you might be asked to insert Windows 10 installation media, so be sure that you do that.
- Choose Only the drive where Windows is installed > Just remove my files. Click the Reset button to start the process.
- This process is similar to Windows 10 installation, and you just have to follow the instructions in order to complete it.
When this process is done, you should have freshly installed Windows 10 without any third-party applications. If the error appears again, it’s most likely caused by your hardware.
DRIVER_PORTION_MUST_BE_NONPAGED and other Blue Screen of Death errors are often caused by faulty or incompatible hardware, so if you’re having this error, we urge you to check your hardware. Faulty RAM is the common cause of this error, and we advise you to test your RAM modules one by one in order to find the one that is faulty. If your RAM is working properly, be sure to check other major hardware components such as your motherboard, hard drive, network adapter, etc.
If you’re still having issues with your hardware or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we recommend you to download this tool to fix various PC problems, such as hardware failure, but also file loss and malware.
DRIVER_PORTION_MUST_BE_NONPAGED BSoD error can be a hindrance, but you can usually fix this error by updating your drivers or by replacing the faulty hardware.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in June 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- Fix: PROCESS_HAS_LOCKED_PAGES error on Windows 10
- Fix: ‘CreateProcess Failed Code 740’ Windows 10 Error
- Fix: Adobe Error #2060 Prevents Skype from Working
- Fix: Windows Cryptographic Service Provider Error In Windows 10
- Fix: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG Error in Windows 10
“A picture is worth a thousand words” is a popular English idiom and the quote perfectly describes digital marketing or marketing strategies in general that […]
While the winter arrives with the joy of Christmas, it also brings the freezing weather along. Of course, there’s the fireplace to warm you up, […]
Recent comments on Reddit would suggest that Microsoft is still not playing the game when it comes to collecting data on its users. This is […]