- The DRIVER_PORTION_MUST_BE_NONPAGED error is another Blue Screen of Death error that are often caused by faulty or incompatible hardware.
- In order to fix it, you have to use a dedicated repair tool found below.
- Also, the driver portion must be non paged error can be fixed by resetting your Windows.
- You should uninstall a problematic app or driver to fix many BSoD issues. Read on for more details!
Since these errors are serious, today we’re going to show you how to fix DRIVER_PORTION_MUST_BE_NONPAGED error.
How do I fix the DRIVER_PORTION_MUST_BE_NONPAGED BSoD error?
- Use a repair tool
- Run the hardware troubleshooter
- Run the SFC scan
- Update your drivers and keep Windows 10 up to date
- Run DISM
- Reset Windows 10
- Uninstall a problematic application or driver
- Check your hardware
1. Use a repair tool
BSoDs affect all Windows operating systems and fixing them is quite a difficult task that requires a lot of patience, but with the right tool, you can fix it in no time.
2. Run the hardware troubleshooter
- Open the Settings app and go to the Update & Security section.
- Select Troubleshoot from the menu on the left.
- Select BSOD from the right pane and click Run the troubleshooter.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooter.
Another thing we can try is running Windows 10s built-in troubleshooting tool. This tool is designed to deal with various system issues, including BSODs. So, it might be helpful in this case, as well.
3. Run the SFC scan
- Right-click on the Start Menu button, and open Command Prompt (Admin).
- Enter the following line and press Enter:
- Wait until the process is done (it may take a while).
- If the solution is found, it will automatically be applied.
- Now, close the Command Prompt and restart your PC.
The SFC scan is a command-line tool that basically scans your PC for potential errors, and resolves them if the solution is available. Among other errors that the SFC scan can help with are the BSOD issues.
4. Update your drivers and keep Windows 10 up to date
Outdated or buggy drivers can cause Blue Screen of Death errors to appear on Windows 10, therefore it’s crucial that you keep them up to date.
Updating your drivers is relatively simple, and you can download all the necessary drivers right from your hardware manufacturer’s website.
The DRIVER_PORTION_MUST_BE_NONPAGED error sometimes can tell you which file caused the crash, and with little research you can find what driver you need to update.
If you’re not sure which driver is causing this error, it’s usually the best that you update all your drivers.
Downloading drivers is important if you want to prevent BSoD errors, but it’s also important that you download the latest Windows 10 updates.
Microsoft is constantly fixing hardware and software issues, and you can download the latest patches by using Windows Update.
Even though these patches fix many hardware and software issues, they also offer security improvements and new features.
Therefore if you wish to keep your PC safe and error-free, we strongly advise you to update Windows 10 frequently.
Update drivers automatically
Searching for drivers on your own can be time-consuming. So, we advise you to use a tool that will do this for you automatically.
Using an automatic driver updater will certainly save you from the hassle of searching for drivers manually, and it will always keep your system up to date with the latest drivers.
Our software recommendation will help you update drivers automatically and prevent PC damage caused by installing the wrong driver versions.
After several tests, our team concluded that this is the best-automatized solution, so be sure to give it a try.
5. Run DISM
- Standard way
- Right-click on Start and open Command Prompt (Admin).
- Paste the following command and press Enter:
- Wait until the scan is finished.
- Restart your computer and try updating again.
- With the Windows installation media
- Insert your Windows installation media.
- Right-click the Start menu and, from the menu, choose the Command Prompt (Admin).
- In the command line, type the following commands and press Enter after each:
dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
- Now, type the following command and press Enter:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:SourcesInstall.wim:1 /LimitAccess
- Make sure to change an X value with the letter of the mounted drive with Windows 10 installation.
- After the procedure is finished, restart your PC.
DISM is yet another command-line troubleshooter that we can use if the previous ones failed to resolve the issue.
In fact, DISM might be the most powerful troubleshooter, because it freshly deploys the system image.
6. Reset Windows 10
- Hold the Shift key on your keyboard and click the Restart button. Alternatively, you can start the Automatic Repair by restarting your PC a few times during the boot sequence.
- Choose Troubleshoot > Reset this PC > Remove everything. During this step you might be asked to insert Windows 10 installation media, so be sure that you do that.
- Choose Only the drive where Windows is installed > Just remove my files. Click the Reset button to start the process.
- This process is similar to Windows 10 installation, and you just have to follow the instructions in order to complete it.
If this error is caused by certain software, you can easily fix it by performing Windows 10 reset. To perform Windows 10 reset, follow the above steps.
We have to warn you that Windows 10 reset is similar to clean install, therefore we urge you to back up your important files from C partition.
To perform Windows 10 reset you might need a bootable USB flash drive with Windows 10 on it, and you can easily create one by using the Media Creation tool.
When this process is done, you should have freshly installed Windows 10 without any third-party applications. If the error appears again, it’s most likely caused by your hardware.
7. Uninstall a problematic application or driver
- Press the Windows Key + X, and select Device Manager from the list.
- Locate the driver you want to uninstall, right-click it and select Uninstall from the list.
- After the driver is uninstalled, restart your PC.
When your PC restarts, Windows 10 will install the default driver. If the default driver works and your system is stable, you can continue using it, or you can try to update that driver.
Software can often cause the DRIVER_PORTION_MUST_BE_NONPAGED error to appear, and it’s worth mentioning that almost any installed software can cause this error.
Therefore if you installed or updated any software recently be sure that you remove it or revert to the previous version.
Even if you uninstall your antivirus, your PC won’t be defenseless since Windows 10 comes with its own antivirus program called Windows Defender.
In order to fix these errors it’s not enough just to uninstall all third-party antivirus programs, you also have to remove all files related to your antivirus software.
To do so we strongly recommend you to use a dedicated removal software found below.
In addition to third-party software, Blue Screen of Death errors can be caused by certain drivers, and in order to fix this error, you’ll have to find and uninstall the problematic driver.
Few users reported that this error was fixed after uninstalling the AMD CPU driver, so you might want to try that. To uninstall a certain driver from Windows 10, follow the above steps, or let IObit Uninstaller do the job for you.
8. Check your hardware
DRIVER_PORTION_MUST_BE_NONPAGED and other Blue Screen of Death errors are often caused by faulty or incompatible hardware, so if you’re having this error, we urge you to check your hardware.
Faulty RAM is the common cause of this error, and we advise you to test your RAM modules one by one in order to find the one that is faulty.
If your RAM is working properly, be sure to check other major hardware components such as your motherboard, hard drive, network adapter, etc.
DRIVER_PORTION_MUST_BE_NONPAGED BSoD error can be a hindrance, but you can usually fix this error by updating your drivers or by replacing the faulty hardware.
We hope that our recommendations from above were helpful for your needs. For more suggestions, please access the comments section below.