- If DuckDuckGo is not working in Chrome, that can be due to antivirus or firewall configuration.
- Browser settings are also related to this issue, so you might have to reset them to fix the problem.
- Your cache often leads to such inconveniences, therefore make sure that you clear it properly.
There are many great search engines available, however, Google is the most used one without a doubt. Even if it’s so popular, it’s not the best one in terms of privacy.
The search engine is constantly collecting your data to optimize your search results, but it also shares it with advertisers, and many users are put off by this practice.
This led many users to switch to alternative search engines that bring similar results while fully respecting privacy.
However, the transition isn’t always as smooth, and many reported that DuckDuckGo is not working in Chrome, so today we’re going to show you how to fix this issue in no time.
What other browsers can I use with DuckDuckGo?
If you’re having issues accessing the website in Chrome, note that you can use it with any web browser you prefer. The search engine is optimized for almost every single web client, so you should have no problems enjoying it.
In case you can’t pick the right software for the job, we suggest that you visit our best DuckDuckGo browsers article for some recommendations. If Chrome is your final choice, then the resolutions below are waiting for you.
What do I do if DuckDuckGo is not working in Chrome?
1. Check if DuckDuckGo is down
DuckDuckGo might be generally down when it’s unavailable in Chrome. To check, open the DuckDuckGo DownDetector webpage.
The website will tell you if there’s a general outage. If there is, you might have to wait a day or so before you can start using the search engine again.
Alternatively, you can try accessing the website in a different web browser to see if it works. While you can do this in any application, we suggest using Opera for the best results.
2. Clear Chrome’s browser data
- In Chrome, click the Menu button in the top right corner.
- Expand the More tools and select Clear browsing data.
- Click the Time range drop-down menu to select its All time option.
- Check the Cached images and files and Cookies and other site data checkboxes. Press the Clear data button.
3. Turn off Windows Defender Firewall
- Bring up the search utility by pressing the Windows and S keyboard keys at the same time.
- Type firewall in the search text box. Click Windows Defender Firewall.
- Next, click Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off to open those options.
- Select both the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall public & private network options.
- Press the OK button to confirm options.
- Thereafter, try opening DuckDuckGo in Google Chrome with the firewall off.
If this method fixed the issue, there is probably a firewall rule blocking the connection. You’ll need to disable that rule if you turn the firewall back on.
4. Disable any third-party antivirus software
- Open your antivirus settings.
- Now look for Real-time protection or a similar feature.
- Disable this feature temporarily.
- Check if that fixes the problem.
Third-party antivirus software and firewalls can also block DuckDuckGo. So, disable any security software as a workaround.
If that helps, you’ll have to check your antivirus settings to find the cause of the problem. Alternatively, you might want to consider using antivirus software optimized for browsing.
5. Reset Google Chrome
- Input the following in Chrome’s URL bar, and press Enter to open it:
- Scroll all the way down and click Advanced.
- Click on Restore settings to their original defaults option at the bottom of the page.
- Press the Reset settings button to restore the original settings.
6. Flush the DNS cache
- Press Windows Key + S to open Search.
- Enter cmd and select Command Prompt.
- Enter the following command:
- Press Enter to flush the DNS cache.
How popular is DuckDuckGo?
DuckDuckGo is currently the 10th most popular search engine in the world, so it’s way behind Google in terms of popularity.
However, over the years, the number of total queries has been rising steadily, and the website handles over 98 million searches on daily basis.
Even though that’s not comparable to Google, we’re positive that DuckDuckGo’s popularity will slowly but surely increase in the future.
Is DuckDuckGo better than Google?
If your main concern is privacy, then yes, DuckDuckGo is better than Google. The latter keeps track of your searches but it also uses various trackers to follow you on other websites.
Another advantage lies in results filtering, so even if other search engines remove certain results, you’ll still be able to find them on DuckDuckGo.
Lastly, Google’s search results are filled with ads that tack you, so if you’re not using a browser with a built-in adblocker, you’re probably going to see them.
Is DuckDuckGo better than a VPN?
Although this search engine protects your privacy, it works differently than a VPN, and it won’t hide your IP address. This means that your ISP will still be able to see which websites you’re visiting.
DuckDuckGo lets you search the web privately, without tracking you or selling your information to advertisers, but it doesn’t offer any additional protection.
To learn more about the differences between the two, we suggest that you visit our article ready to answer your question: Is DuckDuckGo a VPM?
DuckDuckGo is a great privacy-oriented search engine, but as you can see, sometimes you can’t access it. If that happens, we encourage you to try all the solutions from this guide.
In most cases, clearing the cache in the browser helps, but if that fails, make sure that you check your antivirus and firewall settings.
Did you find a solution to this problem on your own? Share it with us in the comments section below.