Fix Windows 10 error 0x800F0955 to proceed with your PC updates
Are you looking for applicable workarounds to resolve Windows 10 error 0x800F0955? Look no further with Windows Report as we’ve got you covered.
Recently, Microsoft released Windows 10 v1809. However, users are unable to install the update on their Windows PC. For some users, the update rolls back during installation, and for some the updates does not appear in the Windows updates history. “
Nevertheless, the failed Windows installation error results in the error prompt “Error on installation – Code 0x800f0955.
On the other hand, Windows 10 error 0x800F0955 is caused by several reasons such as bloated Windows registry keys, system file corruption, incomplete Windows OS installation, outdated system drivers and more.
How can I fix Windows 10 error 0x800F0955?
Solution 1: Run a full system scan
If you experienced Windows 10 error 0x800F0955 during update, it is very likely that the error is caused by system file corruption.
While there are several ways viruses and malwares can infiltrate your PC, it is highly recommended that you perform a full system scan in order to remove the malware and viruses responsible for the system file corruption.
With MalwarebytesAdwCleaner solution, you can remove all malwares from your Windows 10 PC.
Follow these steps to use MalwarebytesAdwCleaner:
- Download MalwarebytesAdwCleaner here.
- Double-click on the downloaded executable file and follow the prompts to complete installation.
- After installation, right-click on MalwarebytesAdwCleaner icon, and then select “Run as administrator” to launch the program.
- In the MalwarebytesAdwCleaner program, click on the “Scan” button to commence the scanning operation.
- After the completed scan, click on the “Clean” button.
- Now, click “OK” when prompted to restart your PC to complete the cleaning process.
- Afterwards, initiate the Windows Updates process.
On the other hand, we highly recommend other software package such as Bullguard, Bitdefender, and ZemanaAntiMalware to remove malwares from your PC.
Solution 2: Run System File Checker
It is well noted that Windows 10 error 0x800F0955 is caused by system file violations thereby resulting in interruption while updating Windows 10 PC to the version 1809 update.
Nevertheless, System File Checker Utility tool is a built-in Windows 10 tool which automatically resolves any form of system file corruption on the system.
Here’s how to run SFC scan:
- Press Windows+Q and type cmd.
- From the search results, right-click Command Prompt and choose “Run as Administrator”.
- A new cmd window appears. Type sfc /scannow and hit the ‘Enter’ key.
- Wait until scan and repair process is finished.
Alternatively, you can also run CHKDSK on your hard drive; besides, this tool cleans up any disk-related errors on your Windows 10 PC.
Here’s how to run CHKDSK:
- Go to Start > Type “command prompt” >Right-click on it, and select “Run as administrator”.
- Now, type “CHKDSK C: /F”.
- Hence, type CHKDSK C: /R without quotes in the Command Prompt and hit “Enter” key.
- After CHKDSK process, restart your PC afterwards.
Solution 3: Run DISM
Another Windows 10 built-in tool you can use to resolve the Windows 10 error 0x800F0955 is the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool. DISM is also applicable in fixing corrupt system files as well.
Here’s how to run DISM in Windows 10:
- Press Windows key + X and run Command Prompt (Admin).
- Copy and paste the following command on the command line:
- exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- In case the DISM can’t obtain files online, try using your installation USB or DVD. Insert media and type following command:
- exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:RepairSourceWindows /LimitAccess
- Be sure to replace “C:RepairSourceWindows” path of your DVD or USB.
Note: Ensure that you replaced repair source path with your own.
- READ ALSO: How to Use DISM in Windows 10
Solution 4: Use CCleaner
While CCleaner is not a Windows 10 built-in tool, this third-party software is popular for its multifaceted features for optimizing Windows PC. One of such features is the “Registry Cleaner”
Follow these steps in order to download, install, and use CCleaner:
- Download CCleaner free version or Download CCleaner Pro version.
- Install and follow the prompts to complete the installation.
- After installation, launch CCleaner, and then click on the “Registry” menu.
- In the Registry Cleaner menu, click on “scan for issues”.
- After CCleaner has finished scanning, click on “Fix selected issues”. Follow the prompts to enable CCleaner clean up your bloated windows registry
Note: You can scan for issues in the Registry Cleaner more than once so as to ensure that bloated windows registry keys are removed.
Solution 5: Use Windows Update troubleshooter
Windows 10 Creators Update is incorporated with the Windows Update troubleshooting tool. Windows 10 error 0x800F0955 on the other hand is a Windows 10 issue; therefore, you can run the troubleshooter in order to fix the error problem.
Here’s how to do this:
- Go to Start > Type “Settings” and then hit the Enter key.
- Head over to Update & Security > Troubleshoot
- Find Windows Update, and click Run the troubleshooter
- Follow further on-screen instructions
- Restart your computer
— READ ALSO: FIX: ‘This tool can’t update your PC’ update error
Solution 6: Run Automatic Repair
Automatic repair can be used to fix myriads of error on the Windows 10 system most especially Windows 10 error 0x800F0955.
However, you need a Windows bootabl installation DVD ready for the automatic repair.
Here’s how to run automatic repair:
- Insert Windows bootable installation DVD and restart your PC afterwards.
- Press any key to boot from CD or DVD when prompted to continue.
- Select your language preferences, and click “Next”.
- Click Repair your computer in the bottom-left.
- In the “choose an option” screen, Click Troubleshoot > Click Advanced option > Automatic Repair. Then, wait for the Windows Automatic Repair to be completed.
- Restart your PC and boot to Windows.
Solution 7: Clean install Windows 10
Due to the hours it will take to install your current software as well as to restore your backed up files, clean installing your Windows 10 PC might not be the ultimate solution. However, it is an effective solution to fix the Windows 10 error 0x800F0955.
Before you proceed, you should create an ISO file with the ‘media creation tool’, and create a bootable USB drive with it or burn it on DVD. Also, you should back up your files and also note your currently installed programs.
Here’s how to clean install Windows 10:
- Download the Media Creation Tool from here.
- Plug in the USB flash drive(preferably 2.0) with at least 4 GB.
- Run Media Creation Tool and accept the License Terms.
- Select the “Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC” option.
- Pick the preferred language, architecture, and edition and click Next.
- Choose USB flash drive and then click Next.
- Media Creation Tool will download the setup and copy the installation files onto the USB flash drive.
- Finally, restart your PC.
- Plug in USB and start the Setup.
Solution 8: Reset Windows Updates components
Disclaimer: Follow the outlined steps carefully as serious problems may occur if you do this incorrectly. This solution involves modifying your system registry.
Here’s how to manually reset the Windows Updates Components:
- Right click Start
- Select Command Prompt (Admin)
- Click Yes when asked for permissions
- Stop the Windows Update, Cryptographic, BITS, and MSI Installer services by typing the following commands at a command prompt:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
(Press the Enter key after each command you type)
- Rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder by typing the commands below in the Command Prompt then press Enter after each command you type:
Ren C:WindowssoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 Catroot2.old
- Restart the Windows Update, Cryptographic, BITS, and MSI Installer services by typing the following commands in Command prompt:
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it
Afterwards, initiate Windows Updates and install the latest updates.
On the other hand, some Windows 10 users reported getting “Access Denied” prompts when trying the processes above. Here’s what to do if your access is denied:
- Log in first as an administrator or use administrator user account
- Stop the windows Update service and try to rename SoftwareDistribution folder
- Right click Start
- Select Run
- Type services.msc and press OK or enter
- Scroll down and locate Windows Update service
- Right click and select Properties
- Stop the service
Follow the steps above so as to manually reset Windows Update Components
Afterwards, go to “Services” window again, now start Windows Update service, and then restart your PC.
Conclusively, any of the above-mentioned solutions are adept at resolving Windows 10 error 0x800F0955. Should you have any question, let us know dropping a comment below.
RELATED GUIDES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix Windows Update errors with Microsoft’s dedicated tool
- How to check Windows Update errors quick and easy
- How to fix Windows 10 Update CPU not supported errors
Hulu can be a great entertainment platform, but many users reported Sorry this channel is temporarily unavailable message while watching live sports feed. While that […]
Today Microsoft released a new Windows 10 19H2 build for a subset of lucky Windows insiders in the Slow ring. It’s not really new, because […]
Windows 10 May update packs a lot of changes. Some of them are visual, other are performance or security related. It’s already a known fact […]