- In earlier versions of Windows, users initialize Trusted Platform Module (TPM), but in Windows 11, the OS automatically controls it.
- Error code: 80090016 is displayed in Outlook when the TPM is corrupted. This can be resolved by editing the .AAD.BrokerPlugin folder and/or tweaking the Registry.
- If you've tried different fixes and the issue persists, you should reach out to Microsoft Support for further help.
The Error Code 80090016 Office 365 is experienced by Outlook users whenever the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) malfunctions. This Module technology according to Microsoft is designed to provide hardware-based and security-related functions.
If the TPM malfunctions or is corrupted, some Windows components may not perform as expected. The micro-controller would be unable to successfully execute system security integrity measurements, along with key creation and use.
In such a case, Windows would be unable to set up a PIN for your device while Something went wrong. Your computer’s Trusted Platform Module has malfunctioned. If this error persists, contact your system administrator with the error code 80090016 will be displayed.
Why is my TPM corrupted?
Most of the time, the TPM error is displayed because of interference with the PC Health Checkup. This application is responsible for alerting you about the compatibility of your system with software such as checking if you have the required resources for Windows 11.
It is also possible to get the error when your computer is infected with a virus or malware. Error Code 80090016 Windows 11 comes in different versions which include:
- Error code 80090016 Keyset does not exist – It happens when there is a problem with the machine keys.
- Trusted Platform Module has malfunctioned 80090016 – This occurs when the TPM chip is corrupted or there is a change in its non-volatile (NV).
How can I fix error code 80090016 on my computer?
1. Delete the contents of the Ngc Folder
- Close Outlook.
- Open File Explorer.
- Copy and paste the path below into the Address Bar:
- Delete all contents of the displayed folder.
- Launch Outlook again to see if the problem is resolved.
2. Rename the .AAD.BrokerPlugin folder
- Sign in to your PC with another administrator account.
- Launch Run by pressing Windows key + R simultaneously.
- Type the command below and press the Shift + Enter keys:
- Scroll to find Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy folder.
- Copy the folder by pressing Ctrl + C keys and paste it to Home Screen by pressing Ctrl + V keys. This is for backup.
- Go back to the Packages folder and rename the Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy folder to Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy.old.
- Go back to the affected user account and relaunch Outlook.
- Select Yes to Allow my organization to manage this device if you get the Organization Prompt.
- In case the Error Code 80090016 Office 365 reappears ignore it this time and continue your use of Outlook.
If you are having issues with switching administrator accounts, our guide on how to change an administrator account can help.
3. Edit Registry
- Press the Windows key and type Run into the Search Bar. Choose Run in the list of Best match, then click Open.
- Type the command below and press Enter:
- Select Yes when in the User Account Control prompt.
- Click on the drop-down arrow beside the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder. Next, do the same for the Software folder.
- Scroll to select the arrow beside Microsoft.
- Repeat the same for Office and then 16.0. Then, pick Common.
- Choose Identity. Right-click on an empty space and place the cursor on New, then, select DWORD.
- Right-click on the freshly created DWORD to select Modify.
- Change the ValueName to EnableADAL and ensure the Value data is 0.
Try to relaunch Outlook after this. If the error code 80090016 Office 365 is still unresolved, try the solution below.
4. Uninstall and reinstall Outlook
- Press the Windows key to Open Windows Search.
- Type Outlook in the Search Box.
- Right-click on Outlook and select Uninstall.
- You can reinstall Outlook by downloading it from Microsoft Store.
If you want to easily uninstall Outlook and completely remove its corresponding files and registry entries, use a dedicated tool like CCleaner.
It has a built-in uninstaller, a PC cleaner utility that scans your whole PC for unnecessary files, all while being very user-friendly.
How can I fix my Wamerror?
- Open Settings by pressing Windows key + I.
- Select Accounts.
- Scroll to select the Access or School option.
- Check if there is an account connected. If so, disconnect it.
We hope the error code 80090016 office 365 has been resolved by now and you are able to operate your Outlook like before. If the issue still persists, check our guide on how to fix keyset does not exist error.
For readers that the solutions in this article helped, don’t hesitate to share the tip that worked for you in the comments section below.