- Fallout: New Vegas is an award-winning FPS/RPG hybrid created by Bethesda.
- Like any software, runtime errors are a possibility, so check the guide below for steps on what to do when that happens.
- For more articles on this amazing game, check out our dedicated Fallout: New Vegas Hub.
- If playing PC titles is your passion, then also check out our Gaming page.
When playing or launching the popular action role-playing game Fallout New Vegas, you may encounter the runtime error that leads to game freeze and crash. The full error reads:
Program: C:\Games\Fallout – New Vegas\FalloutNV.exe
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it unusually. Please contact the application’s support team for more information.
This error can occur due to memory limitation, corrupt installation files, or incompatible Microsoft Visual C++ version.
If you are also troubled by this error, here are a couple of troubleshooting tips to help you fix the Fallout New Vegas runtime error in Windows.
How to fix the Fallout New Vegas runtime error?
1. Use FNV 4GB Patcher
- Go to the Fallout New Vegas Patcher page.
- Create a new account. This is required to download any files from the website.
- Scroll down and open the File tab.
- Click on Manual Download to download the file.
- Once downloaded, extract the file downloaded to the following location:
- After extracting the folder, right-click on the FalloutNVpatch.exe file in the folder.
- Select Run as administrator to execute the file with administrator privilege.
- Launch Steam and try launching Fallout New Vegas.
If the issue persists, you may need to change the *ini file attribute to read-only.
- Open File Explorer and navigate to the following location:
- Search for *ini files in the folder.
- Right-click on the first ini file and select Properties.
- In the General tab, check the Read-only option.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
- Do this for all the ini files in the folder.
The Fallout New Vegas is a free mod that allows you to overcome any memory limitations that is preventing the game from functioning properly.
2. Use New Vegas Anti Crash
- Download the New Vegas Script Extender to your computer.
- Extract the zip folder to the following location:
- C:\Games\Fallout – New Vegas\FalloutNV.exe
- The above location may change depending on where you have installed Fallout New Vegas on your computer.
- Next, download the New Vegas Anti Crash mode.
- Open the Files tab and click on Manul Download to download the file.
- Extract the files and put NVSE in the Data folder.
- C:\Games\Fallout – New Vegas\Data
- Once the files are moved, try launching Fallout Las Vegas and check if the error is resolved.
3. Install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
- Type control and click OK to open Control Panel.
- Click Uninstall a program.
- Check if you have the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable x86 package installed.
- If not installed, go to Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable download page.
- Download the installer and run it.
- Once installed, reboot the computer and check if you can run Fallout New Vegas without any issues.
The Fallout New Vegas runtime error can occur due to several reasons. However, most of the time, it can be fixed using the New Vegas Anti Crash mod or the New Vegas 4GB patcher.
Follow all the steps in this article and let us know which method helped you resolve the issue in the comments.
FAQ: Learn more about Fallout: New Vegas
- What is Fallout: New Vegas?
Fallout: new vegas is a post-apocalyptic shooter/RPG hybrid set in the Fallout universe.
- Is Fallout: New Vegas worth playing?
Despite being dated and other entries following it, Fallout: New Vegas is regarded as the best of the series.
- Do I need to play other Fallout games to understand Fallout: New Vegas?
No, besides the post-apocalyptic premise, each Fallout game has a different story.