How to fix FFXIV error 2002 [Lobby server connection error]
Find here the solutions that can fix this error for good
- Final Fantasy XIV is an award-winning MMORPG set within the Final Fantasy universe.
- We will discuss several troubleshooting steps towards fixing the The lobby server connection has encountered an error Error 2002.
- Even though this error is more common than you would expect, users have encountered it not matter what system setup they have.
- Following the steps described in this guide will ensure that you'll solve the dreaded Error 2002 in no time.
As Final Fantasy XIV is a multiplayer RPG, an internet connection is essential for that game. However, FFXIV players can’t connect to that game’s lobby when error 2002 arises.
This has caused frustration to users, especially in the case of the people who love this series very much and want to play whenever they get some free time in their busy schedule.
Some other common issues encountered by FFXIV fans include the inability to download patch files in this game.
If you make time for playing and then see the error 2002 arise, it is understandable that you would get annoyed and scour the web for a solution.
The message states:
The lobby server connection has encountered an error.
As annoying as it is, you’ve reached the perfect guide to explore this subject further and ensure you’ll be troubleshooting this issue with expert advice.
Read on to find out the details about how to make this error disappear once and for all, and get back to playing your FFXIV favorite game.
How can I fix the FFXIV error 2002 for good?
Restart the router
Even though it might seem like an obvious step, being a server connection error, it is most likely caused by an issue with your Internet connectivity, or the servers not being online from the developer’s side.
To eliminate the possibility that the dreaded 2002 error doesn’t appear because of your network, performing this action will surely help.
Try restarting (or resetting) your router first. Power off your router, and then unplug it. Wait for about 30 seconds so the entire router’s settings and packets are cleared.
After this time, simply plug in your router again, and turn it on.
If you find that this method doesn’t change anything on FF14, follow the next described methods one by one.
Allow FFXIV through the firewall
Error 2002 often appears due to firewalls blocking FFXIV’s internet connectivity. Therefore, you can try to resolve this problem by modifying the corresponding firewall settings on your PC.
1. Press the Windows key + S to open the search box.
2. Type firewall in your search box.
3. Click Windows Defender Firewall in the search results to open the Control Panel applet.
Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken.
We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click here to download and start repairing.
4. Click Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall to open the Allowed applications window.
5. Click the Change settings button to adjust options.
6. If FFXIV is not listed, click the Allow another app option.
7. Then click Browse to select the FFXIV EXE file.
8. Click the Open and Add buttons.
9. Select both the Private and Public checkboxes for FFXIV.
10. Press the OK button to save the changes.
Turn off Windows Defender Firewall
Alternatively, you can turn off Windows Defender Firewall to ensure it isn’t blocking FFXIV.
- To do that, open the WDF Control Panel applet as outlined within the second resolution.
- Click Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off on the left of the WDF applet.
- Select the two Turn off Windows Defender Firewall options on the Customize Settings window.
- Select the OK option, and close the firewall applet.
- Try playing FFXIV with the firewall off.
- If the game runs well, then turn the firewall back on and allow the game through the firewall using the previous solution.
Uninstall third-party antivirus software firewalls
The best way to ensure a third-party antivirus firewall isn’t blocking FFXIV is to uninstall an installed antivirus utility.
- To do that, launch Run by pressing the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut.
- Type appwiz.cpl in Run and click OK to open Windows’ uninstaller.
- Select your third-party antivirus software.
- Click Uninstall and Yes to remove the antivirus utility.
- Restart Windows after uninstalling the antivirus software.
Before uninstalling a third-party antivirus utility, you can try disabling it via its context menu. Right-click its system tray icon to open a context menu that will include options for the antivirus software.
Select to disable the antivirus software there until restart if you can. If that doesn’t resolve error 2002, however, uninstall the utility as outlined above.
Uninstall the WTFast software
- Error 2002 can also be due to the WTFast internet utility. To uninstall that software, open the Programs and Features applet as outlined for resolution four.
- Then right-click WTFast to select an Uninstall option for it.
- Click Yes to confirm and uninstall the software.
- Restart your desktop or laptop after uninstalling WTFast.
Connect to the Internet with Ethernet cable
Some users have also said they’ve fixed error 2002 by connecting to the Internet with cables. If your PC has an Ethernet port and cable for it, try connecting to the Internet with that.
Connect your router to the PC with the Ethernet cable. Then try playing FFXIV.
In case you can’t use your Ethernet connection, there is a multitude of solutions for this issue as well.
Those are some of the more likely fixes for FFXIV error 2002. However, error 2002 can sometimes be due to server maintenance. You can check for server maintenance announcements at the FFXIV forum.
Feel free to share your thoughts with us by using the comment section found below this article.