How to find the secret UWP version of the File Explorer in Windows 10 Creators Update
With Microsoft having put so much work into its Universal Windows Platform, it’s no surprise there’s also a UWP version of File Explorer. We’ll show you how to find it.
The app is a reminiscent of the Windows 10 mobile version of File Explorer
What’s surprising is how the app is hidden and can only be unlocked using a specially crafted workaround. First, you have to be running the Windows 10 Creators Update to try it out. While it’s not clear how close the app is to its final version, it will be interesting to try it out when it releases.
File Explorer in UWP format limitations
File Explorer in UWP format was first reported by OnMSFT and it’s a bit simpler than the regular version of this tool. There are a few limitations:
- You are limited to browsing the content of drivers only as there is no way of navigating to network devices unless you mapped a network drive.
- The app doesn’t support drag and drop.
- The process of selecting, moving, and copying files is a little difficult to follow.
Accessing the app
If you’re interested in seeing what Microsoft may have planned for the future, follow these steps in order to access the app:
- Right-click on an empty section of the desktop. Select Now and go to Shortcut.
- Type the following text in the text field:
- Click Next.
- Type an appropriate name for the shortcut and then click Finish and you’re done.
Remember that this is not the final version of the app, so you might experience some stability issues.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Windows 10 S vs Windows 10 Home: All the differences between the two
- Windows 10 Creators Update KB4016240 is now available to download
- Media Transfer Protocol not working on Windows 10 [Fix]
The symbiosis of the internet and advertising has long been understood. Everyone understands that if you have access to something that is ‘free’, inasmuch as […]
Firefox has announced that it will start to warn users if they visit any breached sites. This is in an attempt to not only make […]