Fix: CCleaner Installer doesn’t work in Windows 10
CCleaner is one of the most popular programs for cleaning and optimizing a computer. Although it has a free version, this program offers the facilities of the most expensive programs of its kind. It keeps your computer clean and increases its operating speed by deleting temporary files and browser caches along with fixing DLLs and the registry. It has different functions to customize and optimize your computer: Duplicate Finder, Disk Analyzer, Startup, System Restore, and many more.
Many users are complaining they cannot start the installation due to the error ‘Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.’ This can have different causes but most of them are simple and easy to repair, so here are some ways to solve this problem.
CCleaner Installer doesn’t work, how to fix it?
CCleaner is a great application, however, many users reported that CCleaner installer doesn’t work on their PC. Not being able to install CCleaner can be a problem, and speaking of problems, users reported the following issues as well:
- CCleaner This app can’t run on this PC – This is a relatively common problem, and we already covered the similar issue in our This app can’t run on this PC article, so you might want to check it out for more in-depth solutions.
- CCleaner installer has stopped working, not working, won’t run – There are many issues that can occur and prevent you from installing CCleaner. If you encounter any of these problems, be sure that you have the necessary permissions.
- CCleaner this installer requires you to be logged in as an administrator – Sometimes this error can occur if you don’t have the administrative privileges on your PC. However, you can fix this simply by running the setup file as the administrator.
- CCleaner installer reference issue, integrity check has failed – These are some of the common errors that you can encounter while trying to install CCleaner. If any of these issues appear on your PC, feel free to try any of our solutions.
- CCleaner installation stuck, stops – Sometimes the installation process will just stop or get stuck. There are many reasons for this issue, and if you encounter it, disable your antivirus and check if that helps.
Solution 1 – Check your antivirus
If CCleaner installer doesn’t work, you might be able to fix the issue simply by checking your antivirus. Sometimes your antivirus can prevent you from installing certain applications, and in order to fix that, you might have to disable certain antivirus features and see if that helps.
- READ ALSO: How to stop CCleaner alerts on Windows 10
If disabling the features doesn’t work, you might have to temporarily disable your entire antivirus. Once you do that, try to install it again and check if that solves the issue. In worst case scenario, you’ll need to remove your antivirus software and try to install CCleaner again.
If removing the antivirus solves the issue, it might be a good time to consider switching to a new antivirus software. There are many great antivirus tools on the market, and some of the best are Panda Antivirus, Bitdefender, and BullGuard.
All these tools offer great protection, so be sure to try any of them.
Solution 2 – Check your permissions
You might not have permission to operate that file. To check this, follow these steps:
- Right-click on the file / Properties / Security.
- Select your name from the Group or user names tab > click on the Edit button.
- All you have to do here is to check the Full Control then click on Apply and you can work with that file.
Solution 3 – Check the file location
Check file location. The error can occur if the location is temporary or is no longer available. You can find the location by right-clicking on the shortcut of the file. Check if it corresponds to the actual location of the file and if not, change it.
Solution 4 – Rename the installation file
According to users, sometimes CCleaner installer won’t work due to the name of their installation file. This is a strange problem, but in order to fix it, you just need to find your setup file and rename it. Simply rename the setup file to CCleaner or Setup and try to install the application again.
After doing that, the problem should be completely resolved and CCleaner will start installing. This is a simple workaround, but it works according to some users, so we suggest you try it out.
- READ ALSO: CCleaner not deleting Firefox history [Fix]
Solution 5 – Remove all CCleaner files
Many users reported that they are unable to install a new version of CCleaner on their PC. This can occur if you have files from the previous version of CCleaner still on your PC. To fix this problem, it’s advised to remove any leftover files and registry entries from your PC.
This is a pretty tedious task if you plan to do it manually, so it’s always better to use an automated solution. There are many great applications that can easily remove any leftover files and completely remove any program from your PC.
If you’re looking for such program, you might want to check Revo Uninstaller or IOBit Uninstaller. All these applications can remove any program from your PC, along with all associated files and entries.
If you can’t install CCleaner on your PC due to old CCleaner files and registry entries, simply use one of these applications and the problem should be resolved.
Solution 6 – Download the Slim version
If CCleaner installer doesn’t work on your PC, you might be able to fix the problem by using the Slim installer. Sometimes CCleaner comes bundled with other components that you might not be able to install on your PC, but you can easily circumvent this issue simply by using the Slim installer.
The Slim installer just has the core program and no additional components, so be sure to download it and try it out.
Solution 7 – Install the older version
Several users reported that CCleaner installer doesn’t work on their PC. This can be a big problem for some users, but there’s a way to fix it. According to users, they managed to solve this issue simply by downloading and installing an older version of CCleaner.
- READ ALSO: Fix: CCleaner taking forever to scan
According to them, the installation process was finished without any problems. Once the application was installed, they updated it to the latest version without any problems.
Solution 8 – Run the setup as administrator
Sometimes this problem can occur if you don’t have the necessary privileges to install the application. You can fix that simply by trying to install CCleaner as administrator. This is rather simple, and in order to do it, you just need to right-click the application and choose Run as administrator from the menu.
After doing that, the setup should start with administrative privileges and you should be able to install CCleaner without any problems.
Solution 9 – Use the Portable version instead
In addition to the Slim version, there’s also a Portable version of CCleaner. If you’re not familiar, portable software doesn’t require installation, and you can run it simply by double-clicking the .exe file. Simply download the archive, extract it on your PC, and run CCleaner.
It’s worth mentioning that you can move the portable version of CCleaner to any USB flash drive or removable storage and run it from there.
Solution 10 – Check if CCleaner is already running
If you can’t install CCleaner on your PC, the problem might be caused by a background process. Several users reported that CCleaner keeps running in the background, and that can prevent the installation from running. To fix this issue, you need to be sure that CCleaner is completely closed. To do that, close all CCleaner windows on your PC and check if that solves the problem.
Alternatively, you can also check with Task Manager if the program is running. To do that, you need to do the following:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
- When Task Manager opens, locate CCleaner on the list of running applications, right click it and choose End Task from the menu.
Once you end CCleaner, try to install the application again and check if the problem is resolved.
If none of these methods work, we recommend you scan your computer with a good antivirus program or contact the Support department of the developers.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- 10 Best Registry Cleaners for Windows 10
- Fix: DLL Files Missing from Your Windows 10 Computer
- Fix: “The remote connection was denied” on Windows 10
Twitch is one of the most used and appreciated streaming services available on the market, but a large number of users reported Error fetching your […]
As one Microsoft employee reports on the company’s forum, you can now get notifications on your desktop every time your Skype contact come online. Also, […]
Bluetooth peripherals are great, especially if you don’t like dealing with wires, but many Windows 10 users reported Windows was unable to install Bluetooth peripheral […]