- Using older software launches this app can't run on your PC on Windows 10 error message.
- Fix error message this app can't run on your PC by using specialized software.
- Prevent this app can't run on your PC Windows 10 Home Edition error using this guide.
- Let us know in a comment which one of our solutions worked best for you.
Although Windows 10 is an amazing operating system, it definitely has a few flaws, most of them related to the older software. In this regard, a number of Windows 10 users reported This app can’t run on your PC error message.
This problem affects a number of different applications, but it can be easily fixed by following one of our solutions.
There are various manifestations of this error message. Here are the most common ones:
- This app can’t run on your PC access is denied
- This error usually occurs if your user account is not properly configured.
- Creating a new administrator account should fix it.
- This app can’t run on your PC game error
- Most gamers are already familiar with this error message.
- Actually, this alert affects games quite frequently, preventing players from launching their favorite titles.
- This app can’t run on your PC Windows Store error
- As you must have already guessed by now, this error is prevalent for Windows Store apps, but it also affect the Windows Store app itself.
- Fortunately, there are many workarounds that you can use to solve the problem and regain access to you apps.
- This app can’t run on your PC batch file
- A batch file is an unformatted text file that PC users create to store and run various commands.
- These files usually have the .bat or .cmd file name extension.
- First, make sure that you’re running them in administrator mode.
- If the issue persists, follow the troubleshooting steps listed below to fix it.
- This app can’t run on your PC check with the software publisher
- Many users reported that they can’t open particular apps due to an error message asking them to contact the software publisher.
- This error usually affects third-party apps downloaded directly from the developers’ official website.
- It rarely affects Windows Store apps.
- Here’s how one user describes this issue on Microsoft’s forums:
I have tried almost every single way displayed on the internet and in the forum, and nothing fixed the message “this app can’t run on your pc, to find a version for your pc, check with the software publisher.” and thing is I get this message on a lot of apps like google chrome photoshop and other applications.
- This app can’t run on your PC Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Avast
- Antivirus tools are also affected by this error.
- Most likely, the download and install process got corrupted at some point and the quickest way to fix this problem is to uninstall and then reinstall the respective tools.
This troubleshooting guide includes various solutions for the following particular cases:
- This app can’t run on your PC – general troubleshooting solutions to fix all the issues listed above
- Apps won’t run on Windows 10 32-bit
- This app can’t run on your PC – solutions for iTunes on Windows 10
- This app can’t run on your PC when using Broadcom 802.11 network adapters
How can I fix This app can’t run on your PC error message?
1. Create a new administrator account
- Open Settings app and go to Accounts > Family & other users.
- Navigate to the Other users section and click Add someone else to this PC.
- Choose I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.
- Now choose Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- Enter the name and password for the new administrator account.
- You should see new account available in the Other users section.
- Select the new account and click the Change account type button.
- Choose Administrator from the Account type menu and click OK.
Few users reported that This app can’t run on your PC error message is rather frequent on their PCs.
According to them, this error message appears when trying to open some of the basic Windows 10 applications, such as Task Manager for example.
If this issue persists, it might be due to a problem with your user account, and in order to fix this issue, it’s advised that you create a new administrator account.
After switching to your newly created Administrator account problems with “This app can’t run on your PC” error message should be fixed.
If the problem is resolved, you’ll need to move your personal files and folders to this account and use it instead of your old account.
If you’re having trouble opening the Setting app, take a look at this article to solve the issue.
2. Disable SmartScreen
- Press Windows Key + S and enter the smart screen.
- Choose Change SmartScreen settings from the list of results.
- Go to the Security section and locate Windows SmartScreen.
- Click Change settings and select Do not do anything (turn off Windows SmartScreen).
- Click OK to save changes.
SmartScreen is a built-in Windows 10 feature designed to protect you from phishing attacks and malware.
According to the reports, this feature can sometimes cause This app can’t run on your PC error, so it might be best that we disable it.
3. Use specialized software
Sometimes, if your registry is faulty or corrupted, this may cause different errors to appear. Among them, you may also encounter the error message: this app can’t run on your PC on Windows 10.
The registry issue is something that many Windows users had to deal with. You must use a dedicated tool that will repair the registry of your operating system.
Before installing the repairing software, do not forget to create a backup for your registry. While there are plenty of software programs available in this regard, we recommend using Restoro in this scenario.
This software is a PC optimizer that eliminates junk files, ensures private browsing, and improves startup times.
4. Enable App Side-loading
- Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security.
- Go to the tab For developers.
- Select Developer mode.
Use this solution by following these three short steps to enable app side-loading. This will help you prevent this app can’t run on your PC in Windows 10 from activating again.
5. Make a copy of .exe file you’re trying to run
If you’re getting This app can’t run on your PC error message while trying to run a specific app, you might want to try creating a copy of that application’s .exe file.
To do that, just select the .exe file of the application you’re trying to run and use Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V shortcuts. You should see a new .exe file available. Try running the newly created .exe file and check if the issue still persists.
6. Use a reliable antivirus
There were instances when users encountered this app can’t run on your PC on Windows 10 because their operating system was infected with viruses.
We recommend powerful software that will offer unbeatable protection for your computer against viruses. After you install this program, it will detect, isolate and then neutralize any virus.
With its Dynamic Machine Learning feature, this software will monitor your entire device activity.
At the same time, this performant antivirus offers you real-time virus detection and blocks malicious software before affecting your computer.
7. Update Windows Store
- Open the Microsoft Store app from the Start menu.
- Click on the 3-dot menu in the far right corner and open Downloads and updates.
- Click on the Get Updates button.
If you can’t open certain Microsoft Store apps on your PC, this might be the result of a temporary bug that’s plaguing the current version of the Store. The quickest way to fix that is to check for updates and install the latest Store version.
8. Disable Proxy or VPN
- Right-click the Start menu and open Control Panel.
- Click Internet Options.
- Open the Connections tab.
- Click on LAN (Settings).
- Uncheck the box beside Use a proxy server for your LAN.
- Confirm changes and try to log-in again.
Particular Proxy or VPN settings may block the outgoing connection to the Microsoft Store servers. If apps won’t run on your PC, try disabling these settings before you log in with your Microsoft account.
Also, make sure that you have a stable Internet connection.
Now, turn your off your VPN and try to launch the Windows Store again. If apps won’t run on your PC due to connectivity issues caused by the Proxy server or VPN, this solution should help you fix the problem.
Sometimes, the proxy can’t be disabled no matter what you do. We’ve prepared a simple guide just for such an occasion.
9. Run an SFC scan
1. Go to Start > type cmd > right-click Command Prompt > select Run as Administrator
2. Now type the sfc /scannow command
3. Wait for the scanning process to complete and then restart your computer. All corrupted files will be replaced on reboot.
Use Microsoft’s System File Checker to check for system file corruption. The utility verifies the integrity of all protected system files and repairs files with problems when possible.
There’s a similar article about scan now problems and how to fix them.
10. Check your disk for errors
Another reason why apps won’t launch on your PC is because of disk errors. Running a disk check can help you identify and remove these errors within minutes.
On Windows 10, you can run a disk check using Command Prompt.
Start Command Prompt as administrator and type the chkdsk C: /f command followed by Enter. Replace C with the letter of your hard drive partition.
As a quick reminder, if you do not use the /f parameter, chkdsk displays a message that the file needs to be fixed, but it does not fix any errors. The chkdsk D: /f command detects and repairs logical issues affecting your drive. To repair physical issues, run the /r parameter as well.
11. Clear your browser cache
Expert Tip: Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken. We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click here to download and start repairing.
Apps that won’t start on Windows 10 might sometimes be linked to a corrupted download process.
As a result, particular files and folders did not fully download or didn’t download at all. This often happens if you don’t clear your browser cache regularly.
As a solution, clear your browser cache first, then uninstall the affected program before attempting to download and install it again.
For a step-by-step guide on how to clear your browser’s cache, go to the official page of your browser’s developer.
You can also use a dedicated tool, and let it automatically do the job for you.
12. Clean your temporary files and folders
1. Go to Start > type Disk Cleanup > launch the tool.
2. Select the disk that you want to clean > the tool will tell you how much space you can free up.
3. Select Clean up system files.
The simplest and quickest manner to delete your temporary files and folders is to use Disk Cleanup. As you use your computer or browse the Internet, your PC accumulates various unnecessary files.
These so-called junk files may affect your computer’s processing speed, causing apps to respond slowly, and may also trigger various error codes. Clean your temporary files and then download and install the problematic app on the respective drive again.
13. Run a full system scan
- Go to Start > type defender > double click Windows Defender to launch the tool
- In the left-hand pane, select the shield icon
- In the new window, click the Advanced scan option
- Check the full scan option to launch a full system malware scan.
Malware may cause various issues on your computer. It can trigger various error codes, prevent apps from installing or running, etc.
Perform a full system scan in order to detect any malware running on your computer. You can use Windows’ built-in antivirus, Windows Defender, or third-party antivirus solutions.
14. Update your OS
Make sure that you’re running the latest Windows OS updates on your machine. As a quick reminder, Microsoft constantly rolls out Windows updates in order to improve the system’s stability and fix various issues.
To access the Windows Update section, you can simply type “update” in the search box. This method works on all Windows versions. Then go to Windows Update, check for updates and install the available updates.
After you’ve installed the latest updates, launch the problematic apps again to see if the issue persists.
If you’re facing a critical error and Windows deletes all your files in the update process, don’t panic just yet. We’ve written extensively about this and our guide will surely help you get all your files back.
Fix – This app can’t run on your PC for Windows 10 32-bit
Download the appropriate version for your PC
As you probably know, there are two versions of applications available: 32-bit and 64-bit. Windows 10 is no exception, and it comes in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
32-bit version is designed to work only with 32-bit applications while 64-bit version can work with both 64-bit and 32-bit applications.
If you are seeing This app can’t run on your PC error, this is probably because you’re trying to run 64-bit version of a certain application on 32-bit version of Windows 10.
As we previously mentioned, 32-bit version of Windows 10 cannot run 64-bit apps, and in order to fix this problem, you’ll need to find a 32-bit version of the application you’re trying to run and install it on your computer.
Another solution is to switch to a 64-bit version of Windows 10. Unfortunately, this isn’t a simple process, and in order to do that, you’ll have to reinstall Windows 10 completely.
Fix – This app can’t run on your PC for Windows 10 AMD
Download the application again using a different web browser
A number of users reported This app can’t run on your PC error message while trying to install AMD graphic card drivers.
Apparently, the problem was caused by a corrupted download. After switching to a different browser and redownloading the same file again, the issue was permanently resolved.
If you want the latest and greatest browser available right now, check out our best pick in this article.
Fix – This app can’t run on your PC for Windows 10 iTunes
Install iTunes as an administrator
This app can’t run on your PC error affects a number of applications and iTunes is no exception. If you can’t install iTunes on your Windows 10 PC, you might want to try installing it as an administrator.
To that simply right click iTunes setup file and choose Run as administrator from the menu.
In addition to installing iTunes as an administrator, many users reported success with redownloading the setup file.
As previously mentioned, in some cases downloads can get corrupted and you might have to redownload the same file several times before you can install it.
In addition to redownloading, many users are suggesting that you use a different browser to download the same file.
If iTunes won’t open, there’s no reason to panic. We’ve got on awesome guide on how to get it working again.
Fix – This app can’t run on your PC for Broadcom 802.11
Disable Broadcom 802.11 Network Adapter Wireless Network Tray Applet
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to start Task Manager.
- Navigate to the Startup tab, and find Broadcom Network Adapter Wireless Network Tray Applet.
- Right-click on the Broadcom Network Adapter and choose Disable.
- Close the Task Manager.
Users reported This app can’t run on your PC error message while using Broadcom 802.11 network adapter. Apparently, there’s a problem with a file called WLTRAY.EXE.
In order to fix the problem, it’s advised that you remove it from Startup.
After you restart your computer you won’t see Broadcom tray icon available, but the problem with “This app can’t run on your PC” error message will be resolved.
This app can’t run on your PC error message can be a problem since it can affect almost any application on your Windows 10 PC.
This error is often caused by incompatibility or by corrupted download, but you can easily fix it by following one of our solutions.
If you have any more questions, don’t hesitate to drop them in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
No. While a 32-bit app can run on both a 32-bit and a 64-bit Windows OS, a 64-bit app can only run on a 64-bit Windows OS. If you don’t know what type of WIndows you are using, check out this detailed article.
Yes. Admin rights give you full and unrestricted control over all aspects of the app that you are trying to launch. Of course, there are also ways you can run programs without Admin rights too.
Yes, certain programs, such as games, will not launch unless your PC meets the minimum system requirements.