Fix: ‘This app can’t run on your PC’ on Windows 10
Although Windows 10 is an amazing operating system, it definitely has a few flaws. Most of these flaws are related to older software, and speaking of which, a number of Windows 10 users reported “This app can’t run on your PC” error message. This problem affects a number of different applications, but it can be easily fixed by following one of our solutions.
How to fix “This app can’t run on your PC” error message on Windows 10?
There are various manifestations of this error message. Here are the most common ones:
- This app can’t run on your PC access is denied — this error usually occurs if your user account is not properly configured. Creating a new administrator account should fix it.
- This app can’t run on your PC game error — Most gamers are already familiar with this error message. Actually, this alert affects games quite frequently, preventing players from launching their favorite titles.
- This app can’t run on your PC Windows Store error — As you must have already guessed by now, this error is prevalent for Windows Store apps, but it also affect the Windows Store app itself. Fortunately, there are many workarounds that you can use to solve the problem and regain access to you apps.
- This app can’t run on your PC batch file — A batch file is an unformatted text file that PC users create to store and run various commands. These files usually have the .bat or .cmd file name extension. First, make sure that you’re running them in administrator mode. If the issue persists, follow the troubleshooting steps listed below to fix it.
- This app can’t run on your PC check with software publisher — Many users reported that they can’t open particular apps due to an error message asking them to contact the software publisher. This error usually affects third-party apps downloaded directly from the developers’ official website. It rarely affects Windows Store apps. Here’s how one user describes this issue on Microsoft’s forums:
I have tried almost every single way displayed on the internet and in the forum, and nothing fixed the message “this app can’t run on your pc, to find a version for your pc, check with the software publisher.” and thing is I get this message on a lot of apps like google chrome photoshop and other applications.
- This app can’t run on your PC Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Avast — Antivirus tools are also affected by this error. Most likely, the download and install process got corrupted at some point and the quickest way to fix this problem is to uninstall and then reinstall the respective tools.
This troubleshooting guide includes various solutions for the following particular cases:
- This app can’t run on your PC – general troubleshooting solutions to fix all the issues listed above
- Apps won’t run on Windows 10 32-bit
- This app can’t run on your PC – solutions for iTunes on Windows 10
- This app can’t run on your PC when using Broadcom 802.11 network adapters
Fix – “This app can’t run on your PC”
Solution 1 – Create a new administrator account
Few users reported that “This app can’t run on your PC” error message is rather frequent on their PCs. According to them, this error message appears when trying to open some of the basic Windows 10 applications, such as Task Manager for example. If this issue persists, it might be due to a problem with your user account, and in order to fix this issue, it’s advised that you create a new administrator account. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open Settings app and go to Accounts > Family & other users.
- Navigate to Other users section and click Add someone else to this PC.
- Choose I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.
- Now choose Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- Enter the name and password for the new administrator account.
- You should see new account available in Other users section. Select the new account and click the Change account type button.
- Choose Administrator from Account type menu and click OK.
After switching to your newly created Administrator account problems with “This app can’t run on your PC” error message should be fixed. If the problem is resolved, you’ll need to move your personal files and folders to this account and use it instead of your old account.
Solution 2 – Disable SmartScreen
SmartScreen is a built-in Windows 10 feature designed to protect your from phishing attacks and malware. According to the reports, this feature can sometimes cause “This app can’t run on your PC” error, so it might be best that we disable it. To disable SmartScreen do the following:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter smart screen. Choose Change SmartScreen settings from the list of results.
- Go to Security section and locate Windows SmartScreen.
- Click Change settings and select Do not do anything (turn off Windows SmartScreen). Click OK to save changes.
Solution 3 – Enable App Side-loading
To enable app side-loading, do the following:
- Open Settings app and navigate to Update & Security section.
- Go to For developers tab and under Use developer features select Developer mode.
Solution 4 – Make a copy of .exe file you’re trying to run
If you’re getting “This app can’t run on your PC” error message while trying to run a specific app, you might want to try creating a copy of that application’s .exe file. To do that, just select the .exe file of the application you’re trying to run and use Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V shortcut. You should see a new .exe file available. Try running the newly created .exe file and check if the issue still persists.
If you’re still having issues with your executable files, or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to fix various PC problems, such as missing or corrupted files.
Solution 5 – Update Windows Store
If you can’t open certain Windows Store apps on your PC, this might be the result of a temporary bug that’s plaguing the current version of the Store. The quickest way to fix that is to check for updates and install the latest Store version.
In order to check for Windows Store updates, follow these steps:
- Open the Windows Store app from the Start menu.
- Click on the 3-dot menu in the far right corner and open Downloads and updates.
- Click on the ”Get Updates” button.
Solution 6 – Disable Proxy or VPN
Particular Proxy or VPN settings may block the outgoing connection to the Microsoft Store servers. If apps won’t run on your PC, try disabling these settings before you log in with your Microsoft account. Also, make sure that you have a stable Internet connection.
Here’s how to disable Proxy settings:
- Right-click the Start menu and open Control Panel.
- Click Internet Options.
- Open the Connections tab.
- Click on LAN settings.
- Uncheck the box beside Use a proxy server for your LAN.
- Confirm changes and try to log-in again.
Now, turn your off your VPN and try to launch the Windows Store again.
If apps won’t run on your PC due to connectivity issues caused by the Proxy server or VPN, this solution should help you fix the problem.
Solution 7 – Repair your registry
Faulty or corrupted registry keys may also prevent apps from running on your PC. If ‘This app can’t run on your PC’ keeps popping up, the simplest way to repair your registry is to use a dedicated tool, such as Iobit’s Advanced System Care or CCleaner. Don’t forget to first backup your registry in case anything goes wrong.
You can also use Microsoft‘s System File Checker to check for system file corruption. The utility verifies the integrity of all protected system files and repairs files with problems when possible. Here’s how to run an SFC scan:
1. Go to Start > type cmd > right-click Command Prompt > select Run as Administrator
2. Now type the sfc /scannow command
3. Wait for the scanning process to complete and then restart your computer. All corrupted files will be replaced on reboot.
Solution 8 – Check your disk for errors
Another reason why apps won’t launch on your PC is because of disk errors. Running a disk check can help you identify and remove these errors within minutes. On Windows 10, you can run a disk check using Command Prompt.
Start Command Prompt as administrator and type the chkdsk C: /f command followed by Enter. Replace C with the letter of your hard drive partition.
As a quick reminder, if you do not use the /f parameter, chkdsk displays a message that the file needs to be fixed, but it does not fix any errors. The chkdsk D: /f command detects and repairs logical issues affecting your drive. To repair physical issues, run the /r parameter as well.
Solution 9 – Clear your browser cache
Sometimes, the reason why apps won’t run on Windows 10 is because the download process got corrupted. As a result, particular files and folders did not fully download or didn’t download at all. This often happens if you don’t clear your browser cache regularly.
As a result, first clear your browser cache, remove the problematic app and then try to download and install it again. For a step by step guide on how to clear your browser’s cache, go to the official page of your browser’s developer. You can also use a dedicated tool, such as Browser Refresh and let it automatically do the job for you.
Solution 10 – Clean your temporary files and folders
The simplest and quickest manner to delete your temporary files and folders is to use Disk Cleanup. As you use your computer or browse the Internet, your PC accumulates various unnecessary files.
These so called junk files may affect your computer’s processing speed, causing apps to respond slowly and may also trigger various error codes. Clean your temporary files and then to download and install the problematic app on the respective drive again.
Here’s how to use Disk Cleanup on Windows 10:
1. Go to Start > type Disk Cleanup > launch the tool
2. Select the disk that you want to clean > the tool will them tell you how much space you can free up
3. Select “Clean up system files”.
Solution 11 – Run a full system scan
Malware may cause various issues on your computer. It can trigger various error codes, prevent apps from installing or running, etc. Perform a full system scan in order to detect any malware running on your computer. You can use Windows’ built-in antivirus, Windows Defender, or third-party antivirus solutions.
Here’s how to run a full system scan on Windows 10 Creators Update:
- Go to Start > type ‘defender’ > double click Windows Defender to launch the tool
- In the left hand pane, select the shield icon
- In the new window, click the Advanced scan option
- Check the full scan option to launch a full system malware scan.
Solution 12 – Update your OS
Make sure that you’re running the latest Windows OS updates on your machine. As a quick reminder, Microsoft constantly rolls out Windows updates in order to improve the system’s stability and fix various issues.
To access the Windows Update section, you can simply type “update” in the search box. This method works on all Windows versions. Then go to Windows Update, check for updates and install the available updates.
After you’ve installed the latest updates, launch the problematic apps again to see if the issue persists.
Fix – “This app can’t run on your PC” Windows 10 32-bit
Solution – Download the appropriate version for your PC
As you probably know, there are two versions of applications available: 32-bit and 64-bit. Windows 10 is no exception, and it comes in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. 32-bit version is designed to work only with 32-bit applications while 64-bit version can work with both 64-bit and 32-bit applications.
If you are seeing “This app can’t run on your PC” error, this is probably because you’re trying to run 64-bit version of a certain application on 32-bit version of Windows 10. As we previously mentioned, 32-bit version of Windows 10 cannot run 64-bit apps, and in order to fix this problem, you’ll need to find a 32-bit version of the application you’re trying to run and install it on your computer.
Another solution is to switch to a 64-bit version of Windows 10. Unfortunately, this isn’t a simple process, and in order to do that you’ll have to reinstall Windows 10 completely.
- READ ALSO: Fix: AMD Error code 43 on Windows 10
Fix – “This app can’t run on your PC” Windows 10 AMD
Solution – Download the application again using a different web browser
Number of users reported “This app can’t run on your PC” error message while trying to install AMD graphic card drivers. Apparently, the problem was caused by corrupted download, and after switching to a different browser and redownloading the same file again the issue was permanently resolved.
Fix – “This app can’t run on your PC” Windows 10 iTunes
Solution – Install iTunes as an administrator
“This app can’t run on your PC” error affects number of applications and iTunes is no exception. If you can’t install iTunes on your Windows 10 PC, you might want to try installing it as an administrator. To that simply right click iTunes setup file and choose Run as administrator from the menu.
In addition to installing iTunes as an administrator, many users reported success with redownloading the setup file. As previously mentioned, in some cases downloads can get corrupted and you might have to redownload the same file several times before you can install it. In addition to redownloading, many users are suggesting that you use a different browser to download the same file.
Fix – “This app can’t run on your PC” Broadcom 802.11
Solution – Disable Broadcom 802.11 Network Adapter Wireless Network Tray Applet
Users reported “This app can’t run on your PC” error message while using Broadcom 802.11 network adapter. Apparently, there’s a problem with a file called WLTRAY.EXE, and in order to fix the problem it’s advised that you remove it from Startup. To do that, follow these steps:
- Start Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
- When Task Manager opens navigate to Startup tab, find Broadcom Network Adapter Wireless Network Tray Applet, right click it and choose Disable.
- Close Task Manager.
After you restart your computer you won’t see Broadcom tray icon available, but the problem with “This app can’t run on your PC” error message will be resolved.
“This app can’t run on your PC” error message can be a problem since it can affect almost any application on your Windows 10 PC. This error is often caused by incompatibility or by corrupted download, but you can easily fix it by following one of our solutions.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Windows Store Won’t Open after Windows 10 Upgrade
- Windows 10 Apps Won’t Open: Full Guide to Fix
- Impactor.exe Bad Image: How to fix this error and launch your apps
In the world of smartphones and busy people, a large chunk of the population relies heavily on sending SMS. Whether it’s a personal message or a […]
Error 0xca00a000 is a Windows Update error that arises for some users. The full error message states: 2018-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for […]