Refreshing and preparing a Windows image are operations that can be completed by using dedicated DISM commands.
The Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) command line tool can also be used for repairing the most common Windows software related problems, so being able to execute DISM commands is quite important.
That’s why, when experiencing the error 50, you should learn how to address the malfunctions that are preventing DISM from running correctly.
So, if you tried to execute a certain DISM command, but you got the ‘Error 50 DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /online option’ message, you are in the right place. In this guide, we will see how to fix the DISM toolkit on Windows 10.
Here’s how to fix DISM error 50 on Windows 10
- Delete associated registry key
- Reset BIOS
- Refresh the DISM software
Delete associated registry key
When the error 50 appears it means that Windows thinks that the location from which you run the command is within Win PE (Pre-installation Environment) and this happens because of a misplaced registry key. So, for fixing this error you need to remove this key by following:
- Press the Win+R keyboard keys for bringing up the Run box.
- There, type regedit and press Enter.
- From Registry Editor located the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE entry and expand it – just click on it.
- From the new list that will be displayed expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControl.
- Under the Control field there should be folder named MiniNT.
- Right-click on this folder and choose Permissions.
- Make sure that your username is mentioned there and also ensure that the Full control option is checked.
- Right-click on the MiniNT folder again and this time choose Delete.
- Confirm your changes and restart your Windows 10 system.
To clean your registry, you can also use a dedicated registry cleaner.
On your computer access BIOS (reaching BIOS is different depending on each manufacturer).
From BIOS look for the ‘Default Options’ entry and access it. From the menu that will be displayed on your computer choose ‘reset to default’ or ‘factory default’. Confirm your changes and restart your device.
That should be all and the ‘Error 50 DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /online option’ should be now resolved.
Refresh the DISM software
- In your cmd window (which should be already opened since your received the DISM 50 error) type dism.exe /image:C: /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions.
- Next, reboot safe mode on your Windows 10 system: press Win+R, enter msconfig, switch to Boot and choose Safe Mode.
- From safe mode open an elevated cmd window: press Win+X and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- In the cmd window type SFC/ scannow and wait while the scan runs – it might take a while depending on how many files and programs are stored on your device.
- Afterwards reboot into Windows mode as that should be all.
Hint: if you cannot complete the steps from below try to create a new Windows account before starting this troubleshooting solution.
There you have it; those were the troubleshooting solutions that should be applied when the ‘Error 50 DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /online option’ error message is displayed.
You can also share your own experience with us and our readers by using the comments field from below – you can also get in touch with our team through our About page, where you can fill up the Contact form. Enjoy.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- DISM GUI is a free Command-line tool which repairs Windows Image
- You can now download the Windows 10 S recovery image for the Surface Laptop
- Fix: “Kernel Security Check Failure” in Windows 10, 8.1 or 7