Fix: Error 0x8007065E Data of This Type Is Not Supported
Check the best solutions recommended by experts
- Windows users may see the 0x8007065E Data of this type is not supported error during the install process of the latest Windows updates.
- The error usually arises from corrupt system files or problems with the SoftwareDistrbitution folder.
- To fix things, disable the firewall, run the SFC scan, or reset the WU components, amongst other solutions.
Updating the OS is critical for a stable and error-free Windows experience. But what if you encounter issues during the process? One such is the 0x8007065E Data of this type is not supported Windows Update error.
Remember, when you run an outdated version of Windows, the PC runs slower, incompatibility issues may arise, and apps may automatically crash. So, let’s find out all about the error.
What is Windows Update standalone installer error 0x8007052E?
The update error usually arises in Windows 7 when you are manually downloading and installing the updates, but users were affected by it on Windows 10 as well. And unless you follow the necessary troubleshooting steps, the error message will keep appearing.
Here are a few reasons you might be encountering the error:
- Corrupt system files: When the system files are corrupt, you run into several issues with the OS, including errors while updating Windows.
- Issues with the Windows Update components: The WU components are critical for the updates to install successfully, but these are often found to be corrupt.
- Downloading the incorrect package: When manually updating Windows, it’s imperative that you download the right package. Otherwise, it might throw an error during installation.
How can I fix error 0x8007065e?
Before we head to the slightly complex solutions, here are a few quick ones you can try:
- Restart the computer and then try installing the update.
- Disable any installed antivirus or firewall and check if the 0x8007065e Data of this type is not supported error disappears. If yes, we recommend you switch to an error-free antivirus for better results.
If none of these work, move to the fixes listed next.
1. Download the correct update package
- Get the KB (Knowledge Base) number for the package throwing the error, head to Microsoft Update Catalog, and search for it.
- Now, click on the Download button for the package that suits your system architecture.
- Click the link in the new window.
- Once the download is completed, run the setup, and follow the on-screen instructions to install it.
When encountering the 0x8007065e Data of this type is not supported update error in Windows 7, the primary check should be to verify whether the downloaded package is right. Check if it’s 32-bit or 62-bit, and for the correct iteration.
2. Use third-party software
You can fix error 0x8007065E Data of this type is not supported by using a reliable third-party tool that optimizes your Windows OS and restores registry settings to their default values.
Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken.
We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click here to download and start repairing.
A dedicated tool such as Restoro specializes in Windows repair. It scans and diagnoses your damaged PC, then repairs it using technology that not only repairs your Windows Operating System but also reverses the harm done with a full database of replacement files.
It does a thorough system diagnosis, performs rigorous system optimization, removes malware and viruses, and fixes the Windows registry.
Restoro is a complex Windows system repair solution that scans your PC for various issues and fixes all critical system files and registry errors, as well as the damage left by viruses (not antivirus software). With a few clicks, the program frees up space on your disk and restores all compromised Windows settings to their default value.
Here’s how you can perform this action:
- Download and install Restoro.
- Launch Restoro.
- Wait for it to find any system stability issues and possible malware infections.
- Press Start Repair.
- Restart your PC for all the changes to take effect.
Restoro’s technology replaces severely damaged Windows system files with clean, up-to-date ones from its secure online database. You can allow it to perform this action without harming your user data.
This the ideal all-in-one tool for fixing Windows errors, PC crashes, or registry issues. It can boost the performance of your device and make it more secure within a few minutes.
Disclaimer: This program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
3. Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder
- Press Windows + R to open Run, type cmd, and hit Ctrl + Shift + Enter.
- Click Yes in the UAC prompt.
- Now, paste the following command and hit Enter to stop the Windows Update service:
NET STOP WUAUSERV
- Next, execute the following command to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to SoftwareDistributionOld:
REN C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution SofwareDistributionOld
- Finally, run this command to restart the service:
NET START WUAUSERV
4. Run the DISM and SFC scan
- Press Windows + S to open Search, type Command Prompt, and then click on Run as administrator.
- Click Yes in the prompt.
- Now, paste the following three commands individually and hit Enter after each to run the DISM tool:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Once done, execute the following command to run the SFC scan:
Running the DISM tool and SFC scan proves quite useful when getting the 0x8007065e Data of this type is not supported error. Remember first to run DISM and then the SFC scan, as the former creates a suitable environment for the latter.
5. Reset Windows Update components
- Press Windows + R to open Run, type cmd, press Ctrl + Shift, and click on OK.
- Now, execute the following commands individually to reset the Windows Update components:
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
Del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat"
Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
Ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak
sc.exe sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
sc.exe sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
cd /d %windir%\system32
netsh winsock reset
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
That’s it! Once you are done resetting the WU components, the 0x8007065e Data of this type is not supported error should disappear for good. If it doesn’t, performing an in-place upgrade should do the trick.
And if you don’t want to take the manual route, we recommend using an effective PC repair tool that will automatically identify and eliminate issues with Windows.
Tell us which fix worked for you in the comments section below.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.