How to fix error 0x8007065E: Data of this type not supported on Windows 7
Windows 7 users might see the error 0x8007065E ‘Data of this type not supported’ while in the process of installing the latest Windows updates . This error will prevent you from installing the latest updates and stems from corrupt system files.
However, system file corruption occurs when the system file is either corrupt or missing. The error “0x8007065E Data of this type not supported” can occur on virtually all Windows 7 PCs.
Since Windows 7 is still the most popular OS version in the world, we have come up with a couple of methods that you can try to solve this problem.
How to fix error 0x8007065E ‘Data of this type not supported’ on Windows 7
Method 1: Rerun the failed updates
First of all, try to rerun the failed updates; this might help Windows locate the missing file and clear up the error “0x8007065E Data of this type not supported”. Therefore, follow these steps to rerun the failed updates:
- From the “Start” menu, go to Control panel and then windows update.
- After this, you click on the view update history.
- If you see the failed updates, you can try to download the files again
- Then install the failed updates manually.
Note: Be sure you are connected to the Internet while installing the updates.
Method 2: Disable your firewall and antivirus software
In addition, some antivirus software may cause the error “0x8007065E Data of this type not supported” preventing your PC from installing Windows Updates. In order to fix this error, you may have to temporarily disable your anti-virus software and try Windows update again. Follow these steps to disable your antivirus software:
- Locate your antivirus shortcut and launch it.
- From your antivirus window, locate “Disable protection”.
- Hence, from the “Start” menu, type “windows update” and hit “Enter”.
- Click on “Check for updates” to install latest Windows update.
Also, after installing the Windows update, go back to your antivirus dashboard and enable protection to prevent malicious virus attacks. This fix will prevent the error “0x8007065E Data of this type not supported” from occurring.
Speaking of cyberattacks, don’t forget to install a reliable Windows 7 antivirus on your PC. Check out this article to learn more on the best Windows 7 antivirus software to use in 2017.
Method 3: Rename SoftwareDistribution folder
Furthermore, Corrupt installer files are stored in SoftwareDistribution folder. Another method of preventing error “0x8007065E Data of this type not supported” is by renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder and then try to download and install Windows updates again. This enables Windows to recreate the folder, hence the problem is fixed. These are steps that can be taken to rename Software Distribution folder:
- Press Windows key and type “Command Prompt” or “cmd”.
- Right-click on the Command Prompt and select “Run as administrator”.
- Type NET STOP WUAUSERV and press “Enter”.
- Also, type REN C:WINDOWSSoftwareDistribution SDOLD and press “Enter”.
- Finally, type NET START WUAUSERV and hit the “Enter” key.
- Restart your computer after 10 minutes.
- Once your system is restarted, wait for another 10 minutes. Now, go to Windows Updates and Check for Updates. Select the oldest update and install it.
Note: Follow these steps enables Windows to create a new SoftwareDistribution folder again which will solve the corruption problem hence the error “0x8007065E Data of this type not supported” will be fixed.
Method 4: Run System File Check Scan
Most noteworthy, the error “0x8007065E Data of this type not supported” which is due to corrupt system files can be fixed by running a system file check. This can repair any error which is connected to the dll (dynamic link library) file. SFC scans, checks, and fixes any corrupted files. To run a SFC scan on your Windows PC, follow these steps:
- Press Windows key and type “Command Prompt”
- Right-click on the Command Prompt and select “Run as administrator”
- In the cmd prompt, type sfc and hit the “Enter” key.
- Type /scannow and hit the “Enter” key.
- Finally, restart your Windows PC and try to download and install Windows updates again.
This method will run a system file check and repair all corrupt system files most especially related to the error “0x8007065E Data of this type not supported” which is preventing Windows from updating.
- READ ALSO: Fix: “Configuring windows updates 100% complete don’t turn off your computer” on Windows 10
Method 5: Use CCleaner Software
Also, CCleaner is a utility program can fix corrupt system files. Download CCleaner on your Windows PC and use it to scan, fix and clean bad system files most especially the corrupted files responsible for error “0x8007065E Data of this type not supported”. Follow these steps to download, install, and use CCleaner:
- Download CCleaner at their official website
- Install and follow the installation prompts.
- After installation, launch CCleaner and go to the “Registry” menu.
- Click “Scan for issues” option.
- After CCleaner has finished scan, select the “fix selected issues”; follow the prompts and click on the “fix all” option.
- Wait for the CCleaner to clean the registry.
This program will clean your Windows registry and fix any corrupt system files thereby fixing the “0x8007065E Data of this type not supported” error problem. Backup your registry in case you intend to revert back.
The methods listed above can fix the error “0x8007065E Data of this type not supported”, making it possible for you to download and install the latest Windows updates on your Windows 7 PC. Comment below if you have any questions.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Windows 7 is the second most popular OS among gamers
- Windows 7 facilitated the spread of the WannaCry ransomware
- Windows 7 second monitor issues fixed with KB4034664, but it brings bugs of its own
What Android emulator is the best for my Windows PC? Bluestacks MeMu Nox Remix OS Player Droid4X AMIDuOS Windroy Genymotion Xamarin Android Player Andy We’re […]
Recently, a security researcher @SandboxEscaper disclosed in a tweet which has been deleted (the account also has been removed), that the task scheduler is vulnerable […]
Microsoft may be developing a new wireless charging system called “Ultrafast’” for its devices, if a newly discovered patent gets approved for mass production. This […]