How to fix League of Legends DirectX errors
League of Legends (LoL) is an enthralling multiplayer battle arena game for Windows. However, some players can’t start LoL when a DirectX error message pops up. The LoL DirectX error message states:
“An unknown DirectX error has occurred and League of Legends cannot start. Please make sure your video card is using the latest video drivers from the manufacturer.”
This is how you can fix the League of Legends DirectX error if that same error message is popping up on your Windows desktop or laptop.
Fix LoL DirectX errors on PC
- Delete the Game.cfg File
- Update Your Graphics Card Driver
- Delete League of Legends Subfiles
- Repair the NET Framework Setup
1. Delete the Game.cfg File
Some League of Legends players have fixed the DirectX error by deleting the game.cfg file. That’s a straightforward resolution which is worth a shot. To delete the game.cfg file, open the path C:Riot GamesLeague of LegendsConfig in File Explorer. Alternatively, you can right-click a League of Legends shortcut and select Open file location to open the LoL folder that includes the Config subfolder. Then right-click the game.cfg file in the Config subfolder and select Delete.
2. Update Your Graphics Card Driver
The LoL error message suggests that you “make sure your video card is using the latest video drivers from the manufacturer.” So, that’s a pretty big clue for a potential fix! Updating your graphics card driver will ensure DirectX compatibility. As such, updating graphics card drivers can fix numerous DirectX errors. You can update a video card driver as follows.
- Uninstall the current graphics card driver before updating a driver. To do that, press the Windows key + R, enter ‘appwiz.cpl’ in Run’s Open text box and click OK.
- Select your display driver listed in Programs and Features, and press the Uninstall button. Select the Yes option to confirm.
- To manually update the graphics card driver, you’ll need Windows platform and video card model details at hand. You can check those details by entering ‘dxdiag’ in Run and clicking OK.
- Note down the operating system details on the System tab.
- Note down the graphics card model and manufacturer details included on the DirectX Display tab.
- Next, open the graphics card manufacturer’s website (usually NVIDIA, AMD or Intel) in a browser.
- Open the driver download section of the website.
- Select your graphics card model and Windows platform on the driver search drop-down menus. Alternatively, if the site has a search box, enter your graphics card model in the search box.
- Select to download the most update video card driver that’s compatible with your 64 or 32-bit Windows platform.
- Thereafter, you can open an installer for NVIDIA and AMD graphics card drivers. Select the required options in the installer to install the update graphics card driver.
- Restart Windows after installing driver.
3. Delete League of Legends Subfiles
- Some LoL players have fixed the DirectX error by deleting a few subfiles and subfolders and then running a repair with the game’s Repair option. First, open the game’s Config folder by entering C:Riot GamesLeague of LegendsConfig in File Explorer’s folder path bar.
- Select the game.cfg and input files in the Config subfolder, and press the Delete button.
- Then open the RADS subfolder within the League of Legends subfolder.
- Select the lol_game_client and lol_game_client_en_us subfolders, and then click the Delete button to erase them.
- Open the League of Legends launch window, and click the ? button to open a Help window that includes four options.
- Press the Repair button on the Help window to fix corrupt files.
4. Repair the NET Framework Setup
As Microsoft NET Framework is an essential prerequisite for DirectX, you might need to repair your NET Framework setup. You can do that with the Microsoft NET Framework Repair Tool, which is compatible with Windows platforms from XP to 7. Press the Download button on this page to save the repair toll to Windows. Then open the NET Framework Repair Tool and press the Next button to repair NET Framework.
Alternatively, reinstalling NET Framework might also fix the DirectX error. Uninstall NET Framework with the freeware NET Framework Cleanup Tool, which you can download from this page. Thereafter, download the latest NET Framework version from this webpage to reinstall NET Framework.
Those are some of the resolutions for the DirectX error that will probably kick-start League of Legends so that you can play the game again. This DirectX article also includes further resolutions that might fix the LoL DirectX error.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- League of Legends RADS error [FIX]
- Fix: League of Legends won’t launch on Windows 10
- League of Legends crashes: Here’s how to fix them
Computer problems are usually not that complicated to fix. The real problem is that most people are not that keen to try and fix them, […]
Live streaming is the hottest trend and a powerful streaming software makes the entire process a lot easier. A streaming software primarily helps you with […]