- Any League of Legends DirectX issue will be caused by corrupted game files or drivers.
- Get rid of the DirectX League of Legends error quickly by deleting your config files.
- You should update your graphics drivers using a third-party tool to fix game error graphics in LoL.
- Repairing your NET Framework or reinstalling it will also solve Directx League of Legends issues.
League of Legends (LoL) is an enthralling multiplayer battle arena game for Windows 10. However, some players can’t start LoL when a DirectX error message pops up. The LoL DirectX error message states:
An unknown DirectX error has occurred and League of Legends cannot start. Please make sure your video card is using the latest video drivers from the manufacturer.
This is how you can fix the League of Legends DirectX error if that same error message is popping up on your Windows desktop or laptop.
How do i fix LoL DirectX errors on PC?
- Delete the Game.cfg File
- Update your graphics card driver
- Delete the League of Legends subfiles
- Repair the NET Framework
1. Delete the Game.cfg File
- Open File Explorer.
- Go to the following path:
C:/Riot Games/League of Legends/Config
- Alternatively, right-click your League of Legends shortcut and select Open file location.
- After, right-click the game.cfg file in the Config subfolder.
- Then, click Delete.
Some League of Legends players have fixed the DirectX error by deleting the game.cfg file. That’s a straightforward resolution which is worth a shot.
In fact, another reader deleted the whole Config folder, and the game was working perfectly fine. However, you should stick to deleting only the game.cfg file.
2. Update your graphics card driver
- Press the Windows key + R.
- Enter appwiz.cpl in Run’s open text box.
- Select your display driver listed in Programs and Features.
- Press the Uninstall button then elect the Yes.
- To manually update the graphics card driver, you’ll need Windows platform and video card model details at hand.
- You can check those details by entering dxdiag in Run and clicking OK.
- Note down the graphics card model and manufacturer details included on the Display tab.
- Next, open the graphics card manufacturer’s website (usually NVIDIA, AMD or Intel) in a browser.
- Select your graphics card model and Windows platform on the driver search drop-down menus.
- Download the latest driver.
- Install it and restart your computer.
The LoL error message suggests that you make sure your video card is using the latest video drivers from the manufacturer. So, that’s a pretty big clue for a potential fix!
Update your drivers automatically
If you don’t want to spend the time and search for the GPU drivers yourself, you can use a dedicated third-party tool that does that for you.
As such, you should download a third-party app that updates all of your hardware and software drivers. The program will search your PC components and apps for compatible drivers and installs them for you.
Big-time gaming can be done without crashes, lags or freezes by keeping all drivers up to date and error-free. Manual checks are hard to perform, that’s why we recommend using an automate assistant that will scan for fresh driver versions daily. Here is how to use it:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for the newly installed app to detect all your PC’s faulty drivers.
- You will be presented with a list of all the drivers that have issues, and you can choose the ones that you want to fix.
- Wait for the driver download and fixing process to complete.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Do not let a bad driver interfere with your games and installed software. Use DriverFix today and run them without a single issue.
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
3. Delete the League of Legends subfiles
- First, open the game’s Config folder by entering the following in File Explorer’s folder path bar:
C:Riot/Games/League of Legends/Config
- Select the game.cfg and input files in the Config subfolder, and delete them.
- Then open the RADS subfolder within the League of Legends subfolder.
- Select the lol_game_client and lol_game_client_en_us subfolders, and then delete them.
- Open the League of Legends launch window, and click the ? button to open a Help window that includes four options.
- Press the Repair button on the Help window to fix corrupt files.
Some LoL players have fixed the DirectX error by deleting a few subfiles and subfolders and then running a repair with the game’s Repair option.
4. Repair the NET Framework
- Download the NET Framework Repair Tool.
- Open the NET Framework Repair Tool and press Next.
- Alternatively, you can also uninstall your NET Framework and reinstall it.
- Go to Control Panel.
- Select Uninstall a program.
- Find Net Framework, right-click on it then uninstall.
- Download the program.
- Run the installer and wait for it to finish.
As Microsoft NET Framework is an essential prerequisite for DirectX, you might need to repair your NET Framework setup.
Those are some of the resolutions for the DirectX error that will probably kick-start League of Legends so that you can play the game again. We encourage you to give us some feedback in the comment section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you’re having trouble starting the League of Legends client, make sure you read our thorough article dedicated to fixing League startup problems.
There are many things that can cause League of Legends to crash. Thankfully, we addressed this in our detailed article about fixing critical errors in LOL.
The League of Legends games has a built-in tool for self-repairing. You can read all about it and more solutions by reading this useful guide dedicated to fixing Leauge DirectX issues.