- Looking for DirectX installation repair solutions? The problem might be tied to missing .DLL files.
- If you're wondering how to fix the DirectX error, try installing older versions of the software.
- We encourage using a third-party .DLL fixer to quickly get rid of this specific DirectX error.
- One other thing you could do is reinstalling your GPU drivers. We selected a program that can do that for you.
DirectX is a crucial component of Windows 10, required by many multimedia applications. You cannot use a computer without having DirectX installed in it.
However, sometimes there might be DirectX errors on Windows 10. Thankfully, you can solve them. Today we’re going to show all the different ways to do it.
What to do if DirectX setup could not download the file message appears on Windows 10?
This is a pretty common problem and it appears on all versions of Windows. It’s one of the most common DirectX errors on Windows 11.
To fix it, you need to ensure that your network connection is stable and that you have all the necessary privileges.
In case these conditions aren’t met, you can get the message from above or even An internal system error occurred DirectX setup message.
How can I fix DirectX errors in Windows 10?
- Install the previous version of DirectX
- Reinstall your graphics card drivers
- Reinstall one of the previous updates
- Download Visual C++ Redistributables
- Download the missing .dll files
- Make sure you meet recommended system requirements
- Install DirectX using the Command Prompt
1. Install the previous version of DirectX
Some applications require older versions of DirectX to run properly, and you have to install it manually. To do that, you can download the installer from here.
After you’ve downloaded the file, install it and restart your computer. After your computer restarts, most DirectX errors should be fixed.
If you want to install an older version of DirectX, check the link above. But if you’re interested in the latest version and how it improves GPU performance, read this article.
2. Reinstall your graphics card drivers
- Press Windows Key + X and choose Device Manager.
- When Device Manager starts, go to Display Adapters section and locate your graphic card driver.
- Right-click the driver and choose Uninstall.
- Check Remove the driver software for this device and click OK.
- After you’ve uninstalled the driver, restart your computer.
- After your computer restarts, go to your graphic card manufacturer’s website and download the latest drivers for your graphic card.
- Install the downloaded drivers.
Few users reported that DirectX problems were fixed simply by reinstalling their graphic card drivers.
2.2 Update drivers automatically
If this method doesn’t work or you do not have the necessary computer skills to update/fix the drivers manually, we strongly suggest doing it automatically by using third-party software.
You’ll forget about the time you wasted manually searching for the right drivers for your components since the process will be run by the program automatically.
To make sure that everything goes smoothly and avoid any kind of GPU driver errors, be sure to use a complete driver update assistant that will solve your problems with just a couple of clicks, and we strongly recommend DriverFix. Follow these easy steps to safely update your drivers:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for DriverFix to detect all your faulty drivers.
- The application will now show you all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for the app to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Keep you GPU on the peaks of their performance without worrying about its drivers.
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
3. Reinstall one of the previous updates
- Open the Settings app and go to Update & Security.
- Go to Windows Update section and click on Advanced options.
- Click View your update history.
- Click on Uninstall updates.
- Before uninstalling an update you have to do a bit of research and find which of these updates is a DirectX update.
- Uninstall that update and restart your computer.
Sometimes previously installed updates can cause issues with DirectX, and if that’s the case, you might have to uninstall these updates.
4. Download Visual C++ Redistributables
- Download the package.
- Run the setup.
- Follow the instructions and install the Visual c++ Redistributables.
- If installing the whole package doesn’t fix the problem, you can try installing a specific version from the list.
Few users reported that installing Visual C++ Redistributables has fixed DirectX errors. Make sure you install the whole package or specific version.
5. Download the missing .dll files
Few users report that you can fix DirectX errors on Windows 10 simply by downloading the missing .dll files and moving them to the WindowsSystem32 or WindowsSysWOW64 folder.
This solution might not be the safest if you download these missing files manually, so keep that in mind. Alternatively, you can copy the missing .dll files from another computer that you use.
Use a third-party .DLL fixer
You can restore. DLL files if you use a specialized program that can download missing system files and restore corrupted ones.
A tool like this can also keep you safe by performing periodic scans and checks to make sure your computer is healthy and unaffected by malware or spyware.
Restoro is a reliable third-party DLL fixer which uses a built-in automated system and an online library full of functional DLLs to replace and repair any files that might be corrupted or damaged on your PC.
All you need to do to resolve your PC’s problems is to launch it, and simply follow the on-screen instructions to start the process, as everything else is covered by the software’s automated processes.
This is how you can fix registry errors using Restoro:
- Download and install Restoro.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for it to scan your PC for any stability issues and possible malware.
- Press Start Repair.
- Restart your PC for all the changes to take effect.
After this process is completed your PC will be as good as new, and you will no longer have to deal with BSoD errors, slow response times, or other similar issues.
Disclaimer: This program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
6. Make sure you meet the recommended system requirements
- Open the Windows search bar.
- Type in dxdiag and select it.
- In the System tab, check to see your RAM and CPU model.
- In the Display tab, check to see your GPU model.
I know it’s probably unlikely, but if you’re using an older computer, you might want to check if it meets the minimum system requirements for running DirectX. Here are the minimum system requirements for DirectX 12:
- Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit
- DirectX 12 compatible graphics card
- .NET Framework 4
- 1 GB RAM
- 2 GHz Duo Core CPU
7. Install .NET Framework using the Command Prompt
- Go to the Search, type cmd, and open Command Prompt as Administrator.
- Type the following command and press Enter:
DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:D:sourcessxs
- Wait for the process to finish.
- Restart your computer.
To install the .NET Framework, you’ll need to use the good old DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) service. If DSIM fails, quickly fix it with this step-by-step guide.
However, we’re not going to use the whole tool, but just a part of it that will allow us to install the .NET Framework.
DirectX is an integral part of all Windows operating systems, therefore any DirectX problems can cause your favorite applications to stop working.
If you have any DirectX problems on Windows 10, feel free to try some of our solutions. For more suggestions or questions, reach out to the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Since DirectX is a collection of application programming interfaces for handling multimedia, video, and game programming, and video, it is an integral part of any gamer’s Windows 10 PC. Read more about it in this quick article dedicated to DirectX.
The error is related to Microsoft DirectX. Take a look at this useful guide if you want to learn how to solve this error.
If you’re having trouble installing DirectX on Windows 10, we have all the solutions for you in our thorough article dedicated to fixing DirectX installation problems.