- Looking for DirectX installation repair solutions? The problem might be tied to missing .DLL files.
- If you're wondering how to fix the DirectX error, try installing older versions of the software.
- We encourage using a third-party .DLL fixer to quickly get rid of this specific DirectX error.
- One other thing you could do is reinstalling your GPU drivers. We selected a program that can do that for you.
DirectX is a crucial component of Windows 10, required by many multimedia applications. You cannot use a computer without having DirectX installed in it.
However, sometimes there might be DirectX errors on Windows 10. Thankfully, you can solve them. Today we’re going to show all the different ways to do it.
How can I fix DirectX errors in Windows 10?
- Install the previous version of DirectX
- Reinstall your graphics card drivers
- Reinstall one of the previous updates
- Download Visual C++ Redistributables
- Download the missing .dll files
- Make sure you meet recommended system requirements
- Install DirectX using the Command Prompt
1. Install the previous version of DirectX
Some applications require older versions of DirectX in order to run properly, and you have to install it manually. To do that, you can download the installer from here.
After you’ve downloaded the file, install it and restart your computer. After your computer restarts, most DirectX errors should be fixed.
If you want to install an older version of DirectX, check the link above. But if you’re interested in the latest version and how it improves GPU performance, read this article.
2. Reinstall your graphics card drivers
- Press Windows Key + X and choose Device Manager.
- When Device Manager starts, go to Display Adapters section and locate your graphic card driver.
- Right-click the driver and choose Uninstall.
- Check Remove the driver software for this device and click OK.
- After you’ve uninstalled the driver, restart your computer.
- After your computer restarts, go to your graphic card manufacturer’s website and download the latest drivers for your graphic card.
- Install the downloaded drivers.
Few users reported that DirectX problems were fixed simply by reinstalling their graphic card drivers.
Update drivers automatically
If this method doesn’t work or you do not have the necessary computer skills to update/fix the drivers manually, we strongly suggest doing it automatically by using third-party software.
You’ll forget about the time you wasted manually searching for the right drivers for your components, since the process will be run by the program automatically.
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for the newly installed app to detect all your PC’s faulty drivers.
- You will be presented with a list of all the drivers that have issues, and you can choose the ones that you want to fix.
- Wait for the driver download and fixing process to complete.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
DriverFixDo not let a bad driver interfere with your games and installed software. Use DriverFix today and run them without a single issue.
3. Reinstall one of the previous updates
- Open the Settings app and go to Update & Security.
- Go to Windows Update section and click on Advanced options.
- Click View your update history.
- Click on Uninstall updates.
- Before uninstalling an update you have to do a bit of research and find which of these updates is a DirectX update.
- Uninstall that update and restart your computer.
Sometimes previously installed updates can cause issues with DirectX, and if that’s the case, you might have to uninstall these updates.
4. Download Visual C++ Redistributables
- Download the package.
- Run the setup.
- Follow the instructions and install the Visual c++ Redistributables.
- If installing the whole package doesn’t fix the problem, you can try installing a specific version from the list.
Few users reported that installing Visual C++ Redistributables has fixed DirectX errors. Make sure you install the whole package or specific version.
5. Download the missing .dll files
Few users report that you can fix DirectX errors on Windows 10 simply by downloading the missing .dll files and moving them to WindowsSystem32 or to WindowsSysWOW64 folder.
This solution might not be the safest if you download these missing files from the internet, so keep that in mind. Alternatively, you can copy the missing .dll files from another computer that you use.
Note: Using this solution can lead to potential system instability, so use it at your own risk.
Use a third-party .DLL fixer
You can restore .DLL files if you use a specialized program that can download missing system files and restore corrupted ones.
A tool like this can also keep you safe by performing periodic scans and checks to make sure your computer is healthy and unaffected by malware or spyware.
6. Make sure you meet the recommended system requirements
- Open the Windows search bar.
- Type in dxdiag and select it.
- In the System tab, check to see your RAM and CPU model.
- In the Display tab, check to see your GPU model.
I know it’s probably unlikely, but if you’re using an older computer, you might want to check if it meets the minimum system requirements for running DirectX. Here are minimum system requirements for DirectX 12:
- Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit
- DirectX 12 compatible graphics card
- .NET Framework 4
- 1 GB RAM
- 2 GHz Duo Core CPU
7. Install .NET Framework using the Command Prompt
- Go to the Search, type cmd, and open Command Prompt as Administrator.
- Type the following command and press Enter:
DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:D:sourcessxs
- Wait for the process to finish.
- Restart your computer.
To install the .NET Framework, you’ll basically need to use the good old DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) service. If DSIM fails, quickly fix it with this step-by-step guide.
However, we’re not going to use the whole tool, but just a part of it that will allow us to install the .NET Framework.
DirectX is an integral part of all Windows operating systems, therefore any DirectX problems can cause your favourite applications to stop working.
If you have any DirectX problems on Windows 10, feel free to try some of our solutions. For more suggestions or questions, reach for the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Since DirectX is a collection of application programming interfaces for handling multimedia, video, and game programming, and video, it is an integral part of any gamer’s Windows 10 PC. Read more about it in this quick article dedicated to DirectX.
The error is related to Microsoft DirectX. Take a look at this useful guide if you want to learn how to solve this error.
If you’re having trouble installing DirectX on Windows 10, we have all the solutions for you in our thorough article dedicated to fixing DirectX installation problems.