Fix: Missing VCOMP140.DLL error in Windows 10
If you use the Media Go app on a Windows 10 computer, you may have already encountered the “Missing VCOMP140.DLL” error. This error message can appear when you try to add or delete content from your multimedia folders.
The good news is that you can quickly fix this issue by installing Microsoft’s Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015.
Error: VCOMP140.DLL is missing from your computer
- Missing VCOMP140.DLL Office, Outlook – According to users, this missing file can affect Microsoft Office applications, especially Outlook. If you’re having this problem, we advise you to try some of our solutions.
- Missing VCOMP140 PDF – This problem can also affect PDF files. According to users, they were unable to open their PDF files at all due to this problem.
My computer has a Windows 10 64-bit operating system. When I went to use Media Go to change some music files on my model NWZE385 Walkman, it initially let me delete some albums […] As soon as Media Go tried to reopen, an error message saying “The program can’t start because VCOMP140.DLL is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix the problem”. […] I’ve no idea how to recover the file since I do not want to utilize one of those third-party file recovery services since I can probably buy a new Walkman for what those services cost.
Solution 1 – Install Visual C++ Redistributable
- Uninstall Media Go from the Programs and Features in the Control Panel.
- Go to Microsoft website and download the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015.
- Select both “vc_redist.x64.exe” and “vc_redist.x86.exe” files to download.
- Once the files are downloaded, restart your computer.
- After restarting the computer, go to the Media Go website and download Media Go.
- Selected the “Save and Run” option and downloaded Media Go normally.
- If you should get a warning saying that “the certificate is invalid or corrupt”, right-click and select “Run anyway”.
This quick workaround should fix the problem and eliminate the annoying “Missing VCOMP140.DLL” error, so be sure to try it out.
If you’re still having issues with your.DLL files or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we recommend you to download this tool to fix various PC problems, such as missing or missing or corrupted .dlls, hardware failure, but also file loss and malware.
Solution 2 – Copy files from your PC or from another computer
You can easily fix the problem with missing VCOMP140.DLL simply by copying the file from another PC. If you don’t have another PC nearby, you can always search your PC for VCOMP140.DLL. Sometimes this file can be available in Windows.old directory, so you just have to copy it to the directory of the application that is giving you this error and you’re good to go.
After copying the missing file, the issue should be resolved. Keep in mind that this isn’t the most reliable solution since you might not be able to find the problematic file on other PC.
Some users are also suggesting to download the missing .dll files from the Internet. There are many websites that allow you to download .dll files, but some of these websites might not be trustworthy, so keep in mind that you’re using them at your own risk. Generally, it’s always safer to transfer the missing files from another PC.
Solution 3 – Look for VCRedist directory
If you’re getting missing VCOMP140.DLL error message while trying to run a certain game, the problem might be related to Visual C++ Redistributables.
To fix this problem, you just need to download the necessary Redistributable package from Microsoft’s website. However, since there are many versions available, finding the correct version might be a problem.
On the bright side, many games come with necessary Redistributables, and you just have to manually install them. To find the required files, simply open your game’s installation directory and navigate to VCRedist directory. You should see two files available inside. Install both files and check if the issue is resolved.
Solution 4 – Perform an SFC scan
Sometimes problems with missing .dll files can occur due to file corruption. To fix the problem, it’s advised to perform an SFC scan. This is relatively simple and you can do it by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X and choose Command Prompt (Admin). If Command Prompt isn’t available, you can also use PowerShell (Admin) instead.
- When Command Prompt starts, enter sfc /scannow. Now press Enter to run it.
- The scanning process will now start. Keep in mind that SFC scan can take up to 15 minutes, so don’t interrupt it.
Once the SFC scan is finished, check if the problem is resolved. If the issue still persists, you might have to perform a DISM scan instead. To perform a DISM scan, first you need to open Command Prompt or Powershell as administrator by following the instructions above.
Once the PowerShell opens, enter DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press Enter to run it. DISM scan can take more than 20 minutes to complete, so don’t interrupt it. After the scan is finished, check if the problem is resolved.
Few users are suggesting to run both DISM and SFC scans in order to fix this problem. If you were unable to run SFC scan before, try running it after completing the DISM scan. After both scans are completed, check if the issue is resolved.
If you’re still having issues on your PC or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we suggest you to download this tool (safe and tested by us)to fix various PC problems, such as file loss, malware and hardware failure.
Missing VCOMP140.DLL file can prevent you from running your favorite applications. This isn’t a serious error, and in most cases you can fix it simply by transferring the missing files from another computer. If that doesn’t work, reinstalling Visual C++ Redistributables should fix the problem.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: DLL Files Missing from Your Windows 10 Computer
- Fix: Rundll32.exe error in Windows 10
- Fix: SysMenu.dll error in Windows 10
- Fix: “The file is in use” error on Windows 10
The PDF format is one of the most popular file formats in the world. That’s why it is absolutely essential to have an excellent PDF […]
Even if you live in one of the most developed countries in the world, where everything seems to work perfectly, computer privacy is often under […]