- MSVCR71.dll's description says it is a Microsoft C Runtime Library. It means that it's a low-level set of instructions that other programs depend on to work.
- The first solution is to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86). After that, restart your computer and try again with the application.
- DLL errors are pretty common. Just go to our Fix DLL errors in Windows 10 section and you will find the solution for sure.
- We have prepared the Windows 10 errors hub with solutions to any Windows 10 error you might encounter.
The MSVCR71.dll has been included with Windows operating systems since the first version of Windows XP.
It will come as no surprise that some programs depend on the DLL, and they will throw an error if they detect there’s any problem with it. These are a few ways you can fix it.
How can I fix the MSVCR71.dll is missing error on PC?
1. Fix by downloading VC++ Redistributable Package
MSVCR71.dll’s description says it is a Microsoft C Runtime Library. It means that it is a low-level set of instructions that other programs depend on to work.
Microsoft often packages these runtime libraries together and releases them to the general public as a simple installer.
Many sources have claimed that this error has disappeared after installing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86).
Follow the link, download, and install the program. After that, restart your computer and try again with the application. If this doesn’t solve your problem, move on to the next solution.
Run a third-party DLL fixer
There are plenty of third-party programs out there that promise to fix or replace missing or broken DLLs, and most of them stay true to their word. However, if you are to choose just one, then there’s no way you can go wrong with Restoro.
How to use Restoro to fix missing or broken DLLs
- Download here Restoro and install it on your Windows 10 PC
- Let Restoro perform a full system scan
- When the scan is finished, press Clean Now
- Restoro will now proceed to fix your DLL-related issue.
Note: While Restoro can be downloaded for free, it has limited functionality until you activate it. That being the case, if you want the full benefit of a great PC repair and optimization tool, you should purchase the full license.
2. Fix MSVCR71.dll is missing by using SFC
System File Checker (SFC) is a built-in Windows tool that checks system files for corruption and fixes them. Of course, system files also include missing DLLs.
Follow these steps to use the SFC:
- Run the Command Prompt (CMD) with administrator privileges by typing CMD in Start, right-clicking on the CMD icon, and clicking on Run as administrator.
- After that, run this command, DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth if you are running Windows 8 or Windows 10.
- Finally, run, sfc /scannow and wait until the scan reaches 100%.
That’s it. After the scan is finished, if you receive, Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations, it means that the scan didn’t find any errors with your files.
So you may either check out other methods to fix the error or check if the issue isn’t with the program you are using instead of Windows.
If you received, Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%LogsCBSCBS.log, it means that the SFC fixed any errors it found, and you should check if your problem is fixed.
Any other message means this method didn’t work and you should try other methods.
3. Fix the error by replacing the DLL file
Because these type of errors are common, there are a couple of sites that have backed up the Windows DLL files.
This means you can simply fix the MSVCR71.dll is missing error by downloading it from the internet and putting it in its rightful place.
- If you know a trusted site then download the DLL from them. If not, you can download a version of it. Just to be on the safe side, run a virus , and malware scan on the downloaded files because DLL files on the internet aren’t safe by nature.
- Wait until the download is finished, then go into the download folder and copy the DLL file.
- If you have a 32-bit Windows, go to the Folder, C:WindowsSystem32. For computers with a 64-bit Windows, you must go to, C:WindowsSysWOW64. Paste the DLL there, but if the DLL exists, then don’t replace it. It means that your Windows already contains it, but it was deregistered for some reason.
- Register or Reregister the DLL you copied so that Windows becomes aware that it exists by opening the CMD in elevated mode (with administrator privileges) and running the command, regsvr32 msvcr71.dl.
That’s all. You should restart your computer just to make sure the registration is complete and try again with the program that was raising the error.
The MSVCR71.dll is missing error arises from corrupt or missing DLL files on your computer.
In this article, we looked at how you can fix that by either downloading a package that contains the DLL, using SFC to repair corrupted files on your computer, getting it from an unofficial website.
We hope that one of these solutions fixed the error. If not, tell us more about your experience in the comments section below. Let us know if you’ve found another way around it.
FAQ: Read more about Msvcr71.dll
- What is Msvcr71.dll?
Msvcr71.dll is a DLL file developed by Microsoft, which is referred to as an essential system file of the Windows operating system. Learn how to fix DLL missing from the system.
- What is Msvcr71.dll used for?
- How to fix MSVCR71.dll is missing?
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2017 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in September 2017 and was revamped and updated in November 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.