- Sky Go let's you enjoy your favorite TV channels on-the-go by installing the app on a mobile device.
- Users also install a VPN while abroad to mimic a UK IP address so they can use their account freely and enjoy all the content.
- For more articles about this type of service, check out all the guides gathered in the VPN Hub.
- Visit VPN Guides page for similar articles about how to get the most out of your VPN.
Sky Go is one of those streaming services that offer an overwhelmingly high amount of quality TV shows.
A lot of users are impressed by what’s on the menu, with the TV shows, movies, sports events, news, and documentaries. There’s only one small problem.
But that’s sometimes easier said than done, as VPN isn’t working on Sky Go for so many users.
For the sake of addressing it, we prepared a list of possible solutions and they’re to be found below. If you’re unable to connect and stream on the Sky Go, make sure to check them out.
How to get Sky Go working with VPN when abroad:
- Make sure you VPN isn’t blocked by Sky Go
- Make sure your time and date are set to UK or Republic of Ireland
- Reinstall the Sky Go app or use another browser for web-based client
- Change servers to the different UK/RoI location
1: Make sure you VPN isn’t blocked by Sky Go
Sky Broadband Shield might be responsible for interference with your VPN connection. Using a well-respected VPN service should clear those issues and let you enjoy Sky Go whenever and wherever.
For this, PIA comes highly recommended. The official name is Private Internet Access and it’s owned by Kape Technologies. They offer over 180 servers located in the UK in 3 different locations making it a perfect choice. Furthermore, it provides unlimited bandwidth so you can keep it connected at all times while streaming and surfing the Internet.
Here are the key features offered by Private Internet Access:
- no logs policy which means your privacy is protected
- secure encryption and protocols offer the right protection and peace of mind
- a VPN client that is easy to use
- good customer support
Private Internet AccessEnjoy this VPN with unlimited bandwidth and UK-based servers to stream SkyGo content, now at a discount price for a limited time only!
2: Make sure your time and date are set to UK or Republic of Ireland
First things first. The discrepancy between the system time and the VPN time (time assigned to a certain IP address) can cause the issues with accessing Sky Go on your PC from abroad.
Sky Go can use some anti-proxy services to block everyone in a different time zone. Some users resolved the issue by simply setting their system time to mimic the time of the UK/RoI server.
After that, you should be able to access the Sky Go, both app or a browser-based client.
In case you’re not certain how to do it in Windows 10, make sure to follow the instructions we provided below:
- Press Windows key + I to open the Settings app.
- Open Time & Language.
- Under the Date & Time section, disable both ”Set time automatically” and ”Set time zone automatically”.
- Select Timezone and choose Dublin-London time zone from the drop-down menu.
- Now you can re-enable the ”Set time automatically” option and that’s it.
- Start your VPN and give Sky Go another try.
If your system time jumps backward on Windows 10, check out this handy guide to solve the problem in no time.
3: Reinstall the Sky Go app or use another browser for web-based client
The startup, VPN-applying sequence is also important. Make sure to start your VPN and choose the same exact server location connected to your account.
If you’ve already done that and the problem is still persistent, we recommend reinstalling the Sky Go desktop client app or switching to an alternative browser in case you rather use a browser-based access point.
Seemingly, the most mainstream browsers are off the shelf for Sky Go. Chrome and Mozilla are, reportedly, having issues and it seems the same goes for Opera.
In regards to reinstallation a Sky Go app on your system, follow the steps below:
- Enable your VPN and make sure your region settings are set to the UK.
- Press Windows key + I to open Settings.
- Click Apps.
- Under Apps & features, locate the Sky Go app and remove it.
- Restart your PC.
- Open Microsoft Store and install Sky Go app again.
- Start VPN and give Sky Go another go.
If you want more info on how to uninstall programs and apps in Windows 10, check out this dedicated guide.
4: Change servers to the different UK/RoI location
Usually, this would imply to change your server/geo-location to any given other location in the United Kingdom or the Republic of Ireland.
However, that’s not how things work in regards to accessing the Sky Go service from abroad. If you’re using a non-premium VPN service, it’s hard to deal with this.
You can try out TunnelBear (reportedly still works with Sky Go) but due to the limitations imposed on a data package, you’ll consume free 500 MB quite fast. So, we assume that you’re using a premium, subscription-based VPN tool.
Furthermore, with the premium solution, you can ask for a specified location that supports Sky Go. Just contact your service provider and ask for a valid location that can run Sky Go without issues.
Important update: If you are interested in watching UEFA Champions League, you might be interested in our dedicated guide on how to watch UCL without any streaming lags.
You will find there several solutions and tools that you use/might use in order to watch all UEFA Champions League matches without struggling on bizarre sites with tons of pop-ups.
That should do it. In case you have questions or suggestions regarding VPN for Sky Go and related issues, make sure to post them in the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about using a VPN for SkyGo
- Has Sky blocked VPN?
The Sky service is not actually blocking any VPN connections. It is possible that Sky Broadband Shield is interfering. Follow the steps in this guide to fix the problem.
- What VPN works with Sky Go?
Any VPN service that offers servers in the UK should work with Sky Go. You also need one with unlimited bandwidth – see our recommended VPNs for SkyGo.
- Is Sky Go free?
If you have a Sky TV account, then you can download and use Sky Go for free.
Editor's Note: This article was originally published in March 2018 and was revamped and updated in November 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.