How to fix frequent Windows Mixed Reality issues
Windows Mixed Reality is an impressive technology developed by Microsoft that blends reality and virtual worlds.
This so-called hybrid reality is becoming more and more affordable and popular among users.
Unfortunately, Microsoft still has a lot of work to do in order to polish Windows Mixed Reality so as to make it more stable and reliable.
There are many potential Windows Mixed Reality errors and issues that may occur. In this article, we’ll show you how to fix the most common ones.
Fix Windows Mixed Reality bugs and errors
1. PC can’t run Windows Mixed Reality
Make sure your computer’s hardware setup is compatible with Windows Mixed Reality.
Install the latest Windows 10 updates or upgrade your system to the latest Windows 10 OS version, which is currently the Fall Creators Update.
2. Xbox One controller won’t work on Windows Mixed Reality
Make sure your controller is turned on, fully charged, and connected to the PC. Replace its batteries.
If you’re using a Bluetooth controller, make sure it’s paired. Go to Settings > Devices > Bluetooth & other devices to see if it’s listed on the page.
3. Windows Mixed Reality headset stopped tracking
- Make sure the lights are turned on. Check to see if there’s anything obstructing the inside-out tracking cameras on your headset.
- Wait for a new seconds for tracking to resume.
- Restart the Windows Mixed Reality Portal.
ALSO READ: Samsung’s new Windows Mixed Reality headset lands November 6
4. Something Went Wrong error 2181038087-12
This error usually occurs when HMD is plugged in to a USB port on which a non-Microsoft USB device driver is running.
To fix error 2181038087-12, launch Device Manager > expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers category > uninstall the driver for each item that includes the text “eXtensible Host Controller” and doesn’t have “Microsoft” in the name.
Now, make sure that all the drivers that contain the text “eXtensible Host Controller” have “Microsoft” at the end.
5. Something Went Wrong error 2181038087-4
This error occurs when the headset driver failed to initialize the two tracking cameras. Simply unplug and replug your headset to solve this problem.
6. Something Went Wrong error 2181038087-11
This error indicates that your CPU is too old and is not compatible with Windows Mixed Reality. To fix this error, you need to buy a new a Windows Mixed Reality compatible PC. Check out the list of compatible devices here.
There is also a tool available that automatically checks if your computer is compatible with WMR.
7. Wi-fi speed is slow when motion controllers are turned on
Your notebook may share Wi-fi antenna with Bluetooth when using 2.4GHz access points. Open Device Manager and switch band preference to 5GHz.
8. Windows Mixed Reality overheats PC
This is a common issue when using WMR. Make sure that the fans that blow air into / out of your PC are not blocked and try to use the PC in a cool environment. Remove all heat sources pointed at the PC.
For more information on how to prevent overheating issues on PC, check out the articles below:
9. The Mixed Reality world often freezes
This issue could be caused by an app or system fatal error, or a temporary memory or CPU abnormal usage level.
- Open task manager and make sure that you have at least 20% CPU free and 400MB memory free
- Check to see if any processes crashed. Open event viewer, navigate to Windows Logs -> Application and Error level event entries.
- Reboot your PC if this problem persists.
10. Steam VR is crashing
Launch the Mixed Reality Portal first and then try launching SteamVR again. Make sure that you’re not running a Beta version of the Steam client.
For more information on how to fix other Windows Mixed Reality issues, go to Microsoft’s Support page.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Microsoft plans to merge HoloLens and Windows Mixed Reality development
- The Surface Pro and Surface Laptop are ready for Windows Mixed Reality
- Windows Mixed Reality comes to Android, possibly iOS
“A picture is worth a thousand words” is a popular English idiom and the quote perfectly describes digital marketing or marketing strategies in general that […]
While the winter arrives with the joy of Christmas, it also brings the freezing weather along. Of course, there’s the fireplace to warm you up, […]
Recent comments on Reddit would suggest that Microsoft is still not playing the game when it comes to collecting data on its users. This is […]