- This is an awesome racing game but many are complaining they can't play Forza Horizon 4 online on their PCs.
- Reinstalling the Teredo adapter can bring these problems to an end so try it out.
- Windows Defender Firewall or the lack of it might be causing the trouble so check it out.
- Some users even reported trouble playing the game in Windows 11 due to driver issues.
Forza Horizon 4 is a thrilling racing game for Windows 10 and Xbox One.
However, that doesn’t mean that it can overtake (pun intended) technical issues.
Much like other games, Forza Horizon 4 has its fair share of problems.
For instance, some users complained that they’re not able to play Forza Horizon 4 multiplayer races on Windows.
I’ve been playing for four to five days now, but I’ve not once been able to connect to online. When I try to connect to ‘Horizon Life’ it just displays the loading text on the top of the screen.
YTub CadGamings on ForzaMotorSport Forum
Forza Horizon 4 is an Xbox Live multiplayer game and requires Teredo IPsec connectivity if you want to take it online.
Therefore, players may be unable to play the game if there’s something up with the Teredo adapter.
With that in mind, it’s safe to assume that fixing Teredo connectivity could fix Forza Horizon 4’s multiplayer mode. Check out our suggested fixes for this issue.
How can I fix Forza Horizon 4’s Multiplayer mode
1. Reinstall the Teredo adapter
- Type command in Windows search and click on Run as administrator to start Command Prompt with full privileges.
- Type the following command and press Enter to run it:
netsh interface Teredo set state disable
- Use the Windows key + X key combo on your keyboard and select Device Manager.
- Click View and select Show hidden devices.
- Expand the Network adapters category.
- Right-click any Teredo adapter and select Uninstall.
- Restart your PC after uninstalling the adapter.
- Open an elevated Command Prompt again.
- Type the following command and press Enter:
netsh interface Teredo set state type=default
Reinstalling the Teredo adapter can be the key to solving this problem very quickly so perform the steps above to get it done.
2. Check your firewall
2.1 Turn on Windows Defender Firewall
- Type check firewall status in Windows search and click on the app from the results.
- In the new window, check if Windows Defender Firewall is turned on.
- If, for some reason, they arent, click on the Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off option.
- In the next windows, turn on the Windows Defender Firewall.
- Restart your Windows PC.
- Check if you can play Forza Horizon 4 online.
Windows Defender Firewall can sometimes interfere with multiplayer games. As a result, many players turn off the firewall so that it doesn’t affect or limit their gaming experience.
However, the Teredo IPsec connection requires that Windows Defender Firewall is enabled for it to work.
Some Forza Horizon 4 players have even confirmed that turning the WDF on fixed the game’s multiplayer mode.
Therefore, you need to check that your Windows Defender Firewall is enabled. Follow the steps above to do it.
Speaking of Windows’ Firewall, there’s one more thing that you could do to ensure maximum efficiency.
2.2 Reset the Windows Defender Firewall policy to default
- Launch Command Prompt with admin rights, as shown in the first solution.
- Type the following command and press Enter:
netsh advfirewall set currentprofile firewallpolicy blockinbound,allowoutbound
- Restart your PC
Resetting your Windows Defender Firewall policy to default also seems to work, so follow the steps above to do it.
3. Disable third-party antivirus software
- Press Windows key + R on your keyboard to start the Run app.
- Type msconfig and hit Enter.
- Choose the Selective startup option in the General tab.
- Deselect the Load startup items check box.
- Select the Use original boot configuration and Load system services options
- Go to the Services tab and enable the Hide all Microsoft services setting.
- Choose the Disable all option to disable third-party services, then press the Apply and OK buttons.
- Restart your Windows PC.
Third-party antivirus software can also affect Teredo IPsec’s connectivity, but it’s not a rule. To make sure that this isn’t the case, temporarily disable any third-party antivirus utilities.
You can usually do that by right clicking your antivirus client’s system tray icon and selecting the appropriate option (e.g. turn off, disable).
Alternatively, you could perform a clean boot of Windows to ensure that no antivirus package is running by following the steps above.
4. Disable or uninstall your VPN
- Right-click Windows 10’s Start button and select Device Manager.
- Choose the View tab and select Show hidden devices option.
- Double-click the Network adapters category.
- Right-click the VPN’s TAP adapter.
- Select Uninstall.
- Restart your Windows 10 PC after uninstalling the adapter.
Connected VPNs may also play a big part in disabling Forza Horizon 4 multiplayer connections. Thus, you need to make sure you disconnect VPN clients, at least enough to rule out their interference.
If you notice no improvement after disabling your VPN, you might need to completely uninstall it, along with its network adapter.
This is necessary to make sure your VPN and its network adapters aren’t blocking Tereda. Follow the steps above to remove a VPN’s network adapter in Windows 10.
5. Enable the IP Helper Service
- Hit the Win key on your keyboard and type services.
- Select the Services app.
- Double-click the IP Helper service.
- Select Automatic from the Startup type drop-down menu.
- Click OK to close the window.
IP Helper is one of the services required for Xbox Live. Forza Horizon 4 multiplayer won’t work if the service isn’t enabled.
You can easily check if the IP Helper service is enabled by following the steps above.
6. Enable Xbox Live Networking/ Xbox Live Auth Manager Services
Xbox Live Networking and Xbox Live Auth Manager are two other services that need to be enabled for Xbox Live.
You can enable those services pretty much the same way as you did with IP Helper (Solution 5).
However, instead of Automatic, you’ll need to select Manual startup for both of these services.
Forza Horizon 4 is not working in Windows 11 for some users
After updating to the Windows 11 Insider Preview Build, some users complained on Microsoft Answers that Forza Horizon is not working anymore:
I run Forza Horizon 4 but when running it comes up with this error code Graphics card doesn’t support DX12. (Code: FH501)
I’m pretty sure I have a DX12 capable card. I’m running on the latest drivers. Everything worked fine for me before on Windows 10.
My older brother thought the game might be reading the wrong values. Cant seem to find a fix anywhere. don’t know if this is a windows problem or a AMD problem.
We don’t have a solution yet, but this issue is almost surely caused by driver incompatibility issues with the new OS. If you encounter this problem, try updating your graphics card drivers.
If you don’t have new drivers to download, you should wait for new ones from the manufacturers. After all, Windows 11 is a new OS and the Insider Preview build is mainly for testing.
All things considered, there are a few ways you can fix Forza Horizon 4 for multiplayer gaming. We advise you to try our suggested fixes one by one, and don’t skip either of our methods.
The ones you skip could be the very ones that kickstart your game’s online capabilities.
Remember that it’s the game’s Xbox Live server connectivity that usually needs fixing, which you can check by clicking Settings and Network within the Xbox app.
If you’re having lag issues, you can solve it with one of the best VPNs for Forza Horizon 4 to enjoy boundless gaming.
If you have any other issues with Forza Horizon 4 in Windows 11 or solutions, don’t hesitate to bring them to our attention with a comment in the section below.