- If you have no sound in games when playing in Windows 10, this might be caused by the sound settings or your output device.
- Try to disable and enable your speakers or headphones from the audio properties.
- Updating the drivers can also fix this problem so make sure you perform our indicated steps.
- A great solution is to use the audio troubleshooter from your OS and follow the instructions.
Audio is a major part of the multimedia experience, especially in video games, where you often need to communicate with your team.
Audio creates an atmosphere in a video game or a movie, but unfortunately, users reported that game audio stops working for them on Windows 10.
Audio issues on Windows 10 can be troublesome, and sometimes ruin your multimedia experience, especially when it comes to video games, so let’s see if we can fix that.
Why can’t I hear game audio on PC?
If you get no sound from headphones or speakers while gaming, it’s possible that your audio device isn’t properly configured. Be sure to check your audio mixer and see if the game volume isn’t muted.
This issue affects all versions of Windows, and some users reported getting no sound in Windows 11. Oftentimes the cause for this issue are your drivers, so you might need to update them.
Audio issues can affect almost any game, and many gamers reported audio issues in Fortnite. Luckily, this general guide will help you fix all your sound problems.
How can I fix game audio in Windows 10?
- Disable and enable your speakers
- Update your drivers
- Adjust the audio buffer
- Use the audio troubleshooter
- Check in-game sound settings
- Reinstall the game
- Reinstall the audio driver
- Make sure audio service is enabled
1. Disable and enable your speakers
- Right-click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and choose Open sound settings from the menu.
- Now scroll down and select Sound Control Panel.
- Right-click the empty space and make sure both Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices are checked.
- Right-click your audio device and choose Disable.
- Your audio device should become grayed out. Right-click it again and choose Enable.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
Few users suggest that game audio problems can be fixed by disabling and enabling your speakers, and in order to do that, follow the simple steps above.
2. Update your drivers
In most cases, problems with audio are caused by outdated audio drivers, but you can easily fix that by updating them.
To update your audio drivers all you need to do is to visit your motherboard manufacturer’s website, locate your motherboard and download the latest audio drivers for it.
If you’re using a dedicated sound card or a laptop, download the audio drivers from your sound card/laptop manufacturer.
2.1. Update drivers automatically
If you don’t want the hassle of searching for drivers on your own, you can use a tool that will do this for you automatically.
Using a specialized tool will save you time and will prevent PC damage while selecting just the right version of drivers for you.
Some of the most common Windows errors and bugs are a result of old or incompatible drivers. The lack of an up-to-date system can lead to lag, system errors or even BSoDs.To avoid these types of problems, you can use an automatic tool that will find, download, and install the right driver version on your Windows PC in just a couple of clicks, and we strongly recommend DriverFix. Here’s how to do it:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the application.
- Wait for DriverFix to detect all your faulty drivers.
- The software will now show you all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for DriverFix to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Drivers will no longer create any problems if you download and use this powerful software today.
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
3. Adjust the audio buffer
- Open Focusrite Audio Control Panel.
- Adjust the buffer by increasing the number of milliseconds.
This solution applies if you’re using Focusrite Audio Control Panel or a similar tool. If game audio stops working on your computer, you just need to do the above steps.
If the number of milliseconds is too low, your audio might start cutting out or stop working, so in order to fix it, make sure to increase the buffer size.
4. Use the audio troubleshooter
- Go to Settings.
- Head over to Update & Security and select Troubleshoot from the left pane.
- Now click on Additional troubleshooters from the right pane.
- Find Playing Audio, and click Run the troubleshooter.
- Follow further on-screen instructions.
- Restart your computer.
The next thing we’re going to try is using Windows 10’s built-in audio troubleshooter. Follow the above steps to get things done.
5. Check in-game sound settings
Although it sounds obvious, make sure you didn’t disable the sound in the in-game settings in a previous occasion.
Who knows, maybe you accidentally muted the game, and you don’t even remember. We’ll have to consider all the possible scenarios.
6. Reinstall the game
It’s also possible that something went wrong during the game installation. So, if none of the previous solutions resolved the issue, you can also go on and try reinstalling the game.
Reinstalling the game may also fix any other issues you may encounter but make sure you get to the saved games folder and save your progress in a different location to add it after the reinstallation.
7. Reinstall the audio driver
- Go to Search, type devicemngr, and open Device Manager.
- When Device Manager opens, find your audio device, right-click it, and press Uninstall device.
- Windows will ask you to confirm that you wish to uninstall the driver. Click on Uninstall device.
- After confirming and uninstalling your keyboard driver, restart your computer.
- Now you need to visit your audio device manufacturer’s website and check if there’s a new driver available for Windows 10.
If updating the audio driver didn’t resolve the problem, we can try with reinstalling it by following the steps above.
8. Make sure audio service is enabled
- Press Windows Key + R and enter services.msc. Now press Enter or click OK.
- When the Services window opens, locate Windows Audio and double-click it to open its properties.
- Set the Startup type to Automatic and click the Start button to start the service. Now click Apply and OK to save changes.
And finally, audio can’t work without the audio service. So, if this service inside your system is disabled, you won’t hear any audio at all. Check if the audio service is enabled by performing the steps above.
If the service is already running and it’s set to Automatic startup type, you just need to restart it to fix the problem. To do that, locate the Windows Audio service, right-click it and choose Restart from the menu.
With audio being a crucial part of our multimedia experience, these kinds of problems can cause a lot of inconveniences, but as you can see, you can easily fix the game audio not working on a PC.
If you still have problems in that department, you can read our detailed guide on how to fix audio issues in Windows 10 and you will certainly find a solution.
Should you know any other possible solutions or if you have any advice, turn to our comments section below to communicate.