- The NET HELPMSG 2182 error appear due to issues with Background Intelligent Transfer Service, that assists update downloads from .
- To find a solution for it, you can try to run the dedicated built-in Windows troubleshooter.
- If the problem with BITS service leads to NET HELPMSG 2182 error, reset the Store cache.
- You can also try to restart the Windows Update tool in order to fix this annoying issue.
The NET HELPMSG 2182 error arises for some users when trying to update Windows 10 or install new MS Store apps.
The full error message states Problem with BITS Service: The requested service has already been started. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.
Thus, this issue usually pertains to the BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) that assists update downloads from Microsoft servers.
Users can’t get Windows apps or updates when the NET HELPMSG 2182 error arises. However, if you encounter this issue, use our solutions and solve this problem.
How do I fix the NET HELPMSG 2182 error in Windows 10?
1. Run the Windows Update troubleshooter
- Press the Windows key + S keyboard shortcut to open Settings.
- Select Update and Security.
- Then you can click Troubleshoot from the left pane.
- Select Windows Update and click Run the troubleshooter to launch it.
- Then you can go through the Windows Update troubleshooter for potential fixes.
First, we will try to run the Windows Update troubleshooter, which can fix numerous update issues. This is a Windows built-in troubleshooting tool that can help you solve numerous issues.
2. Run the BITS troubleshooter
- To open the BITS troubleshooter, press the Windows + R keyboard shortcut.
- Enter Control Panel in the Open box, and select the OK option.
- Click Troubleshooting to open the Control Panel applet shown directly below.
- Click View all on the left of the window to open the list of troubleshooters.
- Then click Background Intelligent Transfer Service to open that troubleshooter.
- Click Advanced to select the Apply repairs automatically option, and then press the Next button.
The Background Intelligent Transfer Service troubleshooter can fix BITS issues, which is what some users need to do to resolve the NET HELPMSG 2182 error.
3. Use a system repair software
Even though you can always repair your system manually by following detailed guides on the topic, having good PC repair software at your disposal can simplify the entire process considerably, while also preventing your PC from encountering other similar issues in the future.
Restoro is a complex Windows system repair solution that scans your PC for various issues and fixes all critical system files and registry errors, as well as the damage left by viruses (not antivirus software). With a few clicks, the program frees up space on your disk and restores all compromised Windows settings to their default value.
Here’s how you can perform this action:
- Download and install Restoro.
- Launch Restoro.
- Wait for it to find any system stability issues and possible malware infections.
- Press Start Repair.
- Restart your PC for all the changes to take effect.
Restoro’s technology replaces severely damaged Windows system files with clean, up-to-date ones from its secure online database. You can allow it to perform this action without harming your user data.
This the ideal all-in-one tool for fixing Windows errors, PC crashes, or registry issues. It can boost the performance of your device and make it more secure within a few minutes.
Disclaimer: This program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
4. Run a System File Checker scan
- Type cmd in the Windows search bar.
- Select the Command Prompt (Admin) option to launch an elevated Prompt window.
- Before initiating the SFC scan, enter the following command in the Command Prompt and press Return to fix Windows 10 image corruptions.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Enter sfc /scannow and press Return to run the System File Checker scan, which might take about half an hour or longer.
- Restart the desktop or laptop if the SFC scan does repairs system files.
System File Checker scans can fix BITS errors and corrupted system files. It is another great Windows built-in troubleshooting tool you can use for various issues.
If the SFC scan stops completely on your PC before repairing the files, you can fix the problem by following the right methods.
5. Restart the Windows Update process
- Select Command Prompt (Admin) to launch that command-line utility.
- Input the following commands (and press Enter after entering each one) to turn off Windows Update:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
- Next, input the below command ren and press Enter. That command will rename SoftwareDistribution to SoftwareDistribution.old.
- Then enter the next command and press Enter:
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
- To restart Windows Update, enter the commands below separately:
net start wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
Restarting Windows Update might fix that service and the NET HELPMSG 2182 error. To do this, follow the steps above closely in exact order.
6. Reset the Microsoft Store cache
- Enter Command Prompt in Windows 10’s search box.
- Right-click Command Prompt to select its Run as administrator context menu option.
- Then enter wsreset.exe in the Command Prompt window, and press the Return button.
- Restart Windows after clearing the MS Store cache.
This resolution is more specifically for users who need to fix the NET HELPMSG 2182 error for MS Store. Sign out of the MS Store before clearing its cache.
If you notice that Microsoft Store is not loading, be sure to check this complete guide to learn how to solve this error.
The resolutions above have fixed the NET HELPMSG 2182 error for some users. So, they are the most probable fixes for the issue.
If you have any other suggestions that we should include here, please write us a comment below.