How to install/ migrate Steam games on SSD
A solid state drive (SSD) is a storage device that that uses integrated circuit assemblies as memory to store data. Unlike classics HDDs, SSDs don’t have any moving parts, which makes them more resistant to shock.
There are also other advantages: SSDs run silently, have lower access time and lower latency, use less power than HDDs, generate less heat, have a longer lifespan, are not affected by magnetism, and more.
PC owners often use SSDs as the primary storage devices for their Windows OS and large-file programs. If you’re a gamer and you’ve got tens or hundreds of GBs of games stored on your computer, then the best choice is to install or migrate them on an SSD.
How to install/ migrate Steam games on an SSD
- Close your Steam Client and make sure that Steam.exe is not running in Task Manager
- Go to the game that you wish to copy from HDD to SSD
- Right click the game folder > select Properties to see how much space it really takes up
- Make sure that have this free space on your SSD
- Then right click the folder > click Copy
- Go to your Steam game library on your SSD > click Paste
- Wait for the process to complete.
- Once the game has been copied, delete it from your HDD.
Inform your Steam Client about the new game location
1. Launch Steam Client > go to the game in Library that you just moved > right click it > select Delete Local Content.
Rest assured, nothing important gets deleted, only a manifest file. When you moved the game files over, you deleted them manually from the HHD.
2. Click Install > select the Steam Library Folder located on the SSD.
Steam should detect and verify the new game files on the SSD.
It is worth mentioning that installing source-based games on an SSD doesn’t always work using this method.
You can also use a dedicated tool to move your games on an SSD. Steam Mover is a program created by a gamer to help other gamers complete this task faster. You can download Steam Mover from the tool‘s official page.
If you’ve come across other solutions to install/ migrate your Steam games to your SDD, feel free to list the steps to follow in the comment section below.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
Did you notice that all your software icons changed to a single icon (Internet Explorer)? This can happen suddenly and it is caused by a […]
There was a problem with the dedicated servers usually occurs in Halo 5 on Xbox One, and in today’s article, we’ll show you how to […]
With internet connectivity becoming more prevalent across the world, the websites to have become more elaborate, containing far more media in the form of pictures […]