- The PDF file format is very popular thanks to its readability, enhanced security, and compatibility.
- Acrobat Reader is one of the best software to create, view and edit PDF files on Windows 10. The tool is almost synonym to PDF.
- In this guide, we'll show you how you can convert multiple images into a single PDF file using Adobe Acrobat Reader or Windows 10's built-in tools.
- For more useful guides on a variety of topics, visit our How-to hub.
PDF is definitely one of the most popular file formats. We use PDF files to create ebooks, manuals, and even picture galleries. Creating a PDF file is fairly easy in Windows 10, but in this article, we’re not going to talk about creating a regular PDF file.
As we mentioned, you can create an image gallery in PDF out of your regular images, for easier sharing, or simply more practical storing.
Unlike some other actions, like taking a PDF screenshot, or creating a custom Live Tile, that are not possible with Windows 10’s built-in features, Microsoft’s latest operating system actually has the ability to convert multiple images into a single PDF file.
Creating a PDF file from your images is perhaps the most useful if you want to club all your scanned documents together. So, we assume you’ll mainly use Windows 10‘s PDF-creating option for that purpose.
So, if you want to create PDF image galleries, Windows 10 has all you need. We also have to mention that this feature is only available in Windows 10, so if you want to create a PDF image gallery in Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, you’ll have to use a third-party program for that.
You can use a third-party program in Windows 10, as well, if you don’t like the default option, it’s all up to you.
Speaking of PDF, we recommend using Adobe Acrobat to convert images into a PDF file. And we’ll show you how you can do that.
But first, you need to install Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer.
Use Adobe Acrobat to convert images to a single PDF
- Put the images you want to convert in a single folder
- Open Adobe Acrobat Reader and go to File
- Click on Create PDF
- Select the images you want to convert by clicking on the Select Files to Convert to PDF option
- You can also re-arrange your images to put them in the order you want or add additional images
- Select Convert Files
- Select Save to save the merged images in a single PDF document.
But if you prefer to use Windows 10’s built-in tools, follow the guide below.
How to create PDF image galleries in Windows 10
Here’s exactly what you need to do to make a PDF file out of your images:
- First thing first, make sure all your images are placed in a folder and opened in the File Explorer. That way you’ll be able to use the printing option, as it’s not available on Desktop
- Now, select all the images you want to turn into a PDF file, right-click the first one, and choose Print
- When the window pops up, select Microsoft Print to PDF printer
- From this window, you can also choose paper size, quality of images, and see a preview of each image. Once you’re done with all settings, just hit Print
- Select a folder where you want to save your PDF file
- Wait for the wizard to finish the process
There you go, now you just need to open the PDF file, and all your images will be stored there. As you can see, the process is pretty easy and straightforward. You can use the Microsoft Print to PDF printer to combine as many images into PDF as you want.
How to set up the Microsoft Print to PDF printer
Using the Microsoft Print to PDF printer is very effective, you just saw that, however it might not appear for all users by default. So, in case you can’t find the Microsoft Print to PDF printer under the list of available printers, you’ll have to enable it by yourself.
Here’s how to do that:
- Repeat the first two steps from above, in order to open the printing wizard
- Under Printers, select Install Printer…
- Now, instead of waiting for the wizard to find a printer, click on Printer I want isn’t listed
- On the Add Printer dialog box, click the Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings option and click Next
- Make sure Use an existing port is selected, and choose FILE: (Print to File) from the dropdown menu
- Now, under Manufacturer choose Microsoft, and under Printers choose Microsoft Print to PDF
- If the printer is already installed on your computer, just choose the Use the driver that is currently installed (recommended) option
- Leave the name as Microsoft Print to PDF, which is set by default
- On the next window, select Set as the default printer
- Click Next, and wait for the installer to finish.
There you go, after installing the Microsoft Print to PDF printer, you’ll be able to normally create PDF files from images, like we’ve shown you above.
Since this tutorial is solely for Windows 10, it won’t work on older versions of the system, like we mentioned at the beginning of this article.
To perform this action in Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, we recommend downloading and installing Adobe Acrobat. Once you install this utility, perform the process as shown above, but this time use Adobe Acrobat instead of Microsoft’s Print to PDF printer.
If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions, just let us know in the comments below.
FAQ: Learn more about merging images
- How do I combine PDF files in Windows 10?
To combine PDF files in Adobe Acrobat, select all the PDF documents to want to merge. Press CTRL + P to open the print window and select the print layout in the right-hand pane. Click on Print to save the files in a single PDF file.
- Can I merge PDF files without Adobe Acrobat?
To merge PDF files without Adobe Acrobat Reader, use Windows 10 built-in Print to PDF feature or specialized online services that join PDF files.
- How do you insert a PNG into a PDF?
To insert a PNG into a PDF, open the PDF file and go to the Edit menu to select and insert a PNG image from your computer.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2016 and has since been updated for freshness and accuracy.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in October 2016 and was revamped and updated in August 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.