Java is an object-orientated programming language that programmers develop Java software with. To develop Java software, programmers need to install a JDK (Java Development Kit) package. Java SE 12 is the latest JDK development kit for Windows, Linux, and macOS platforms. And, today, we’ll show you how to install JDK in Windows 10.
Before installing JDK, check that your platform meets the system requirements for Java SE 12. Java SE is compatible with the Windows 10, 8, and 7 platforms. However, JDK 12 is not compatible with any 32-bit Windows platforms.
To check Win 10 system architecture matches JDK 12’s system requirements, press the Windows key + S hotkey. Enter the keyword ‘system’ in the search box that opens. Click System to open the window in the snapshot directly below. Users can’t utilize JDK 12 if the System type detail on that window is 32-bit.
How can I install JDK 12?
1. Installing Java SE 12
- To install Java SE 12, open the Java SE Downloads page in a browser.
- Click the Java Download button at the top of the page.
- Select the Accept Licence Agreement option on the next page.
- Then click jdk-12.02_windows-x64_bin.exe to download the exe installer for JDK 12.
- Press the Windows key + E hotkey, and open the folder the JDK installer downloaded to.
- Then right-click jdk-12.02_windows-x64_bin.exe and select Run as administrator to open the Java SE12 setup wizard.
- Press the Next button.
- Users can click Change to select an alternative folder to install Java SE 12 in.
- Select the Next option to install Java SE 12.
2. Set Up a Path Environment Variable
- After installing JDK 12, users should also set up a permanent path variable for it. To do that, open the Run accessory by pressing the Windows key + R.
- Enter ‘Control Panel’ in Run’s text box and click OK to open the window shown directly below.
- Select System in Control Panel.
- Click Advanced system settings to open the window in the shot directly below.
- Press the Environment Variables button to open the window shown below.
- Select the PATH variable in that window, and click the Edit button.
- Thereafter, click the New button on the window shown directly above.
- Then enter the full JDK 12 bin folder path, which might be something like
- Click the OK button after entering the bin folder path.
- Users can check if JDK 12 is fully installed by pressing the Windows key + X hotkey and selecting Command Prompt. Enter ‘java -version’ in the Command Prompt, and press the Return button. The Command Prompt will then provide Java version details as shown directly below.
So, that’s how users can install JDK 12 in Windows 10. Thereafter, users can compile their Java code text files with the javac command.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT:
- Here’s how to download Java 10 on your Windows PC
- How to run a Jar file on Windows 10 [QUICK GUIDE]
- Download Latest Java Version for Windows 8.1, 10 [32-bit, 64-bit Links]