Microsoft Antimalware is an antivirus software that protects your system against malware attacks. This tool uses the same virus definitions and scanning engine as other Microsoft antivirus products, constantly monitoring activities on your computer.
Microsoft Antimalware installs a series of files on your system aimed at protecting your computer against threats. Sometimes, the tool has a negative impact on users’ system performance, which determines them to uninstall it.
However, they soon realize this is not an easy task, because there always seems to remain a hidden file running in the background. The Antimalware Service Executable, MsMpEng.exe runs even after users have removed Microsoft’s AV tools, oftentimes leading to a high CPU usage.
I don’t want an antimalware. […] So far I tried turning off Windows Defender, but the process is still running. My last resort would be deleting MsMpEng.exe from C:Program FilesWindows Defender.
If I try to end it from Task Manager, it says “The operation could not be completed… Access is denied”. I really do not want it running and I feel that it is slowing down my computer. How can I turn it off?
Here’s how to Kill Antimalware Service Executable in Windows 10
Disable Windows Defender from the Registry Editor
- Type regedit in the search box > hit Enter to launch the Registry Editor.
- Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindows Defender
- Right-click on Windows Defender > select New > DWORD
- Double click the newly created DWORD > name it DisableAntiSpyware > set the value to 1.
Quick solution to fix various PC problems
- Step 1: Download this PC Scan & Repair tool
- Step 2: Click “Start Scan” to find Windows issues that could be causing various errors in Windows 10
- Step 3: Click “Start Repair” to fix all issues.
Even if you choose to turn off Windows Defender, don’t leave your system unprotected. You can use this article to decide what antivirus software to install. We recommend Bitdefender as World’s nr.1 Antivirus, and just mention that it was awarded for “Lowest Impact on Performance” since January 2013 based on overall scores.
- Download Bitdefender Antivirus (50% off on all plans)
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Windows Defender update patches severe remote code execution bugs
- Fix: Windows Defender error 0x80016ba in Windows 10
- Fix: Windows 10 Automatic Repair Couldn’t Repair Your PC