- Blue screen errors occur when your OS suffers a serious blow and is forced to stop completely.
- The Kmode exception error, with all its possible variations, has a few fixes which we list below.
- We've extensively covered BSoD instances in the BSoD section, so you'll surely find solutions to your problem.
- Be prepared for any unexpected system error. Bookmark our Windows 10 Errors Hub and learn how to solve them.
Because of this particular error, your device restarts repeatedly and in some cases, you are not able to access Windows 10 at all.
Therefore the only solution to fix this problem is to access Safe Mode.
Note: The solutions we found may also work for other errors that users reported such as:
- Kmode exception not handled ntfs.sys/netio.sys/ ndis.sys/ syntp.sys/ wdf01000.sys/ etd.sys/ tcpip.sys/ tppwr32v.sys/ usbport.sys/ igdkmd64.sys/ intelppm.sys/ iastora.sys – This is how the system points out to the name of the file that caused the error. You can use that information to find the problematic device or application.
- Kmode exception not handled overclock
- Kmode exception not handled RAM
- Kmode_exception_not_handled USB – This message indicates a bad driver or a faulty USB device.
- Kmode exception not handled during install – Once again, this error can be caused by a corrupted driver that isn’t compatible with your PC.
- Kmode exception not handled loop
The mentioned errors appear mostly on PCs, but they have also bee replicated on virtualization software such as VMware or VirtualBox.
How can I fix the Kmode exception not handled BSOD error?
1. Update your network drivers
Kmode_exception_not_handled netio.sys error is often related to your network adapter, and in order to fix this problem, it’s advised to update your network adapter drivers.
To do that, enter Safe Mode (as mentioned above) and visit your network adapter manufacturer’s website to update the software.
Alternatively, you can also do this from another computer and download the latest drivers for your network adapter, then install them in Safe Mode on the faulty device.
This tool will do the whole job, saving you the time to research and carefully choose the updates.
As you can imagine, you’ll have to install the tool in Safe Mode and run it in this environment. DriverFix will scan your device and find the compatible fresh drivers.
It’ll offer you a full list of the necessary actions. It’s recommended that you update not just the network driver, but all the outdated components.
DriverfixInstall, update and repair your drivers in no time and resolve BSoD issues with the help of this fantastic PC utility.
2. Install the missing drivers
Kmode_exception_not_handled error can sometimes be caused by missing or corrupt drivers. As expected, to fix this problem, it’s recommended to install the missing drivers.
If you cannot access Windows 10, you might have to do this procedure from Safe Mode. If the already mentioned way to access Safe Mode doesn’t work, use the following:
- While your computer boots keep pressing F8 or Shift + F8.
- If the shortcut works, you should see a list of options available.
- Choose Safe Mode with Networking and wait until your computer starts Safe Mode.
Then, proceed with these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X and choose Device Manager from the menu.
- Find any unknown devices, right-click them and choose Update driver.
- Choose Search automatically for updated driver software.
- If that doesn’t work, you might want to try the Browse my computer for driver software option instead.
- After you’ve installed all the missing drivers, exit the Safe Mode , and check if the issue is resolved.
3. Uninstall your antivirus software
Sometimes the kmode_exception_not_handled error can be caused by your antivirus software.
Users reported that McAfee antivirus software is responsible for this error, so in order to fix it, it’s advised that you remove this software from your computer.
After you’ve uninstalled McAfee antivirus, y
On this note, we suggest using a professional uninstaller tool such as IObit Uninstaller to completely remove any files and registry items related to the faulty antivirus.
Such software is the best way to clean your device from unwanted items and prepare it for fresh apps.
IObit UninstallerDon't let traces of uninstalled programs interfere with other apps and uninstall them with IObit Uninstaller.
Note that we advise against leaving your device unprotected.
Therefore, after uninstalling the initial antivirus, you should install a different protection software on your Windows 10 PC. A more reliable one or an antivirus will minimal impact on the system.
Bitdefender is such a program, that offers top-notch protection against any type of online threat. While it is a powerful tool, when used in certain activity modes it can perfectly balance real-time protection and take up on your device’s resources.
Bitdefender Antivirus PlusChoose a powerful antivirus that keeps your system safe from any type of online attacks without interfering with other processes.
4. Rename the problematic file
As we previously mentioned, certain software can cause the mentioned BSOD error on Windows 10.
For this particular instance, the error also includes the problematic file – bdselfpr.sys.
Users reported that changing the name of the problematic file, for example, bdselfpr.sys to bdselfpr.s__ has fixed the problem for them.
Bear in mind that changing the name of these files isn’t always the best solution, because it can lead to even more system instability.
If you plan to change the name of the file that is causing this issue to perform quick research and make sure that you’re not changing the name of any crucial system file.
Frequently Asked Questions
Kmode Exception Not Handled is a blue screen error triggered by a system crash. The main reason behind this issue is the Kernel Mode Program causing an exception that could not be identified.
A faulty driver is one that has been corrupted and hence, has turned unusable. When a driver is corrupted, the corresponding device that depends on it also becomes inoperable.
There are several easy-to-use dedicated tools to help you with this task.