- Lightweight email clients are popular since they don't overload devices and contribute to a productive environment.
- Besides being easy to use, such apps are also customizable and are integrated with a lot of other productivity tools.
- After reading this article, you can find more interesting reviews and guidelines in our Email section
- We also have a Software section filled with lists created by experts for every scenario.
No matter if you own a business or not, having a good email client can change the overall efficiency of the provided services.
This task would normally require you to spend a few hours every day sorting through emails. Using the right email client can offer you a wide range of benefits: faster responses to your clients, easy managing and sorting of emails, the ability to track emails, etc.
All these features can streamline the process of responding to your clients’ queries by sorting emails automatically by the sender.
Because the market has a wide range of email clients on offer, it is a daunting task to find the one that suits your needs perfectly and offers a great array of useful features, especially if you need a lightweight program that will not slow down your PC.
In this article, we will explore some of the best email clients existing on the market, that barely influence the processor of your PC, while still offering you a great range of features.
Which are the best email clients that run on low spec PCs?
This software is an incredibly useful email tool that offers a great range of features, has a great user-friendly interface, and it’s also lightweight.
When it comes to the user interface, Mailbird offers a crisp, good looking and easy to access a dashboard that gives you the power to customize every aspect of it.
You can also easily integrate your Mailbird with other apps like the Google Suite. This allows you to expand the email client’s capabilities even further.
You can easily set up keyboard shortcuts, allowing you to run commands without even touching your mouse, or dragging and dropping any element.
While using the fast-response tool incorporated in Mailbird, you can still use any other options outside of the pop-up window, making it easier than ever sort out through long email lists and manage them accordingly.
You can categorize every email by using different label colors and names. You can create your own labels or choose one from the built-in options available.
Mailbird offers you multi-account support (IMAP, POP3), access to a very useful contact manager, and also has support for other third-party apps.
Some of the key features include:
- Option for sending emails at a specific time or date
- Supports an unlimited number of email accounts
- Preview features for all your attachments
- Professional-level support for all your problems
MailbirdA top email client for Windows 10 with friendly user interface and extensive integration with social media.
eM Client is another great light-weight email client software option that allows you to manage your email databases without too much hassle. It offers great visuals and an easy to understand experience.
Because of its seamless integration with other email clients like Gmail, Exchange, and Outlook, eM Client is one of the best software options on the market, coming in very close to software we presented above, called Mailbird.
You can easily transfer complicated schedules from your calendar, and also add contacts from other third-party software, allowing you not to worry about your data not being compatible.
Some of the most important features of eM Client include:
- Integrated chat app compatible with any other chat service
- Automatically translate emails
- Set up delayed times for sending your emails
- PGP encryption that offers you a secure environment
It is worth noting that the free version of eM Client offers a useful set of tools that make managing your emails and easier task, but it is limited to only 2 email accounts.
With the Pro version, eM Client gives you access to an unlimited number of email accounts, VIP support, and also commercial licensing rights, so you can use this app for a company.
This is an incredibly lightweight email client that is certified to be used on Windows 10. It has no system requirements, so you can run it on any PC, no matter the hardware specifications.
This software was designed with your email security in mind, with incredibly powerful encryption capabilities.
The Bat! protects your information by using a layered encryption process, that contains multiple encryption streams. You can choose to keep all your encrypted files on your disk, or protect your PC while communicating through email with its end-to-end encryption (E2EE).
The Bat! works perfectly with any email providers that store your messages in the cloud, and offers you the option to keep all your emails stored on a local computer/ hard-drive/ USB data storage.
Beyond the 3 layers of encryption that cover your precious information, keeping the data stored on your local hard-drive gives the ”attackers” no chance of reaching them remotely or locally.
One of the best features of The Bat! is the fact that the number of email accounts that can be connected through this app is unlimited (IMAP, POP, MAPI protocols).
You also get unlimited data storage capabilities, so you never have to worry about losing data, or not having any space to store it in.
By using this software, you can rest assured that your data is protected with high level, and layered encryption, and you can also use and manage multiple email accounts, from one simple and easy to understand dashboard.
Other notable features found in The Bat! include:
- Full support for PGP, GnuPG, and S/MIME
- Greatly useful filtering system that allows you to pre-sort your emails with ease
- Incorporated HTML viewer
- Image retrieval features that are easy to customize and configure to your needs
- Built-in address book
- Great looking templates
- Selective message download
- RSS Feed subscription
Mailspring is another great lightweight software option that allows you to manage every aspect of your email database.
This software was designed for the speed of processing, making it a viable option for the software we presented you above.
One of the few downsides of using this software is the fact that you need to create a Mailspring account in order to use the app.
Once this is done, you get access to an easy to understand dashboard that takes you through every step of the process. You first need to choose one of your email providers from a list – Gmail, Yahoo, etc. ,and then use the stored passwords from your PC to login easily.
Here are some of the most notable features found in Mailspring:
- Supports multiple email accounts (IMAP and Office 365)
- Can be used with touch devices
- Can set advanced shortcuts with custom keys
- Incredibly fast search tool
- Unified inbox – all your email accounts can be accessed and modified from one inbox
- Can give you read receipts for sent emails, and also link tracking
- Great customizable themes and layouts
One of the most useful features found in Mailspring is its incredibly powerful search engine.
Mailspring also contains a great signature editor that allows you to create and customize every aspect of your signature, to make it represent yourself or your company properly, and you can even attach images to it.
This software also automatically detects the language in which you’re writing in, and adapt the speck check features, without you needing to modify the settings manually.
The free version of the app has a great range of features, but the number of times you can use them is limited.
Sylpheed is another great lightweight software option that comes with fewer features than the other options we presented in this article. But the tool still has the full range of capabilities of a modern email client.
Besides not having any built-in bloatware, this software has an old school user interface that reduces the amount of processing power your computer needs even more.
Here are some of the best features of Slypheed:
- Easy to understand UI that is constantly being improved
- Easy keyboard shortcuts for fast processing
- Greatly organized configuration elements – gives you easy access to customize every aspect of your software
- Architecture built on C language
- Great filtering and search options
- Can easily backup, migrate and process messages
- Stability – even if software crashes, data is still intact
- Great spam mail control – automatically learns characteristics of spam and reacts accordingly
- Support for POP3, IMAP4rev1, SMTP, NNTP, IPv6
- Security features – GnuPG, SSl/TLSvl
In this article, we explored some of the best lightweight email client software solutions that cover your basic email-managing needs, and also offer a great range of other useful features.
We would love to find out which of these 5 options you chose to use. Feel free to let us know in the comment section below.
FAQ: Learn more about email clients
- What email client should I use?
Depending on what you need from an email client, there’s a large variety of them. Besides the well-known Gmail or Outlook you also have more general email clients, or to more specific ones.
- What email client works best with Gmail?
For instance, Mailbird is an example of an email client that offers integration not only with Gmail but with other popular email clients as well.
- What is the most hacked email provider?
Hackers can get into any account, basically. But if you use an email client that has end-to-end encryption chances are lower that hackers break into your account.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in June 2019, and was updated and revamped in July 2020 for freshness and accuracy.