- Like most email clients, Outlook has an autofill option to help with writing email addresses.
- The guide below will help you with advice when the autofill feature doesn't work.
- We have many more articles like this one written in our Emails page.
- Our website even has a dedicated Outlook Fix page, so check that out as well.
The Outlook autofill, otherwise Auto-Complete, displays email addresses when you start to enter them in the To field.
However, AutoComplete doesn’t always work for some users. If Outlook doesn’t display email addresses when you enter them in To, you might need to fix AutoComplete.
This is how you can fix Outlook‘s autofill email address.
How can I fix Outlook Auto-Complete not working?
- Consider using a different email client
- Check the Auto-Complete setting in Outlook
- Clear the Auto-Complete List setting
- Turn off Outlook add-ins
- Open Outlook in Safe Mode
- Reset Auto-Complete
- Repair the PST File
1. Consider using a different email client
If none of the solutions listed below will help you fix Outlook, then maybe you should consider using a different email client.
One reliable Outlook alternative has proven to be Mailbird – Winner of Most Popular Mail Alternative 2020.
It perfectly manages to encompass all that Outlook is as far as email clients go, and so much more.
With this tool, all of your emails, regardless of the domain, can be centralized in a single menu. More so, the UI can be customized with a variety of colors and themes, so anyone’s tastes will be covered.
Lastly, if you love integrations, you’ll love the way this product interacts with Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp, Dropbox, Google Calendar, Asana, Todoist, and many more
A self-sufficient email client that is an excellent alternative to other big names in the email industry, such as Outlook.
2. Check the Auto-Complete List setting in Outlook
- Outlook includes an Auto-Complete setting that needs to be selected.
- To check the AutoComplete option, click the File tab.
- Select Options to open the Outlook Options window.
- Select Mail on the left of the window.
- Scroll down to the Send messages options, which include a Use AutoComplete List to suggest names when typing in the To, Cc, and Bcc lines option.
- Select the Use AutoComplete List to suggest names when typing in the To, Cc, and Bcc lines option if its checkbox isn’t selected.
3. Clear the Auto-Complete List setting
If you don’t need to select the Use AutoComplete List to suggest names when typing in the To, Cc, and Bcc lines option, note the Empty AutoComplete List button beside it.
Outlook includes a maximum 1,000 entries in its AutoComplete list, which you can clear by pressing the Empty AutoComplete List button.
Press that button and click Yes to clear the AutoComplete list. Note that you’ll need to fully enter all the email addresses once before Outlook‘s autofill displays them again.
4. Turn Off Outlook Add-ins
- Click File > Options to open the Outlook Options window.
- Then select Add-ins on the Outlook Options window.
- Select COM Add-ins on the Manage drop-down menu.
- Click the Go button.
- Deselect the add-ins’ checkboxes to disable them.
- Press the OK button to close the window.
You might need to turn off some add-ins to fix Outlook autofill email address. The iTunes Outlook Change Notifier add-in is one that corrupts the AutoComplete list. You can turn off Outlook add-ins as follows.
5. Open Outlook in Safe Mode
- Press the Windows key + X hotkey.
- Select Run to open the window in the snapshot below.
- Input ‘Outlook.exe /safe’ in the Open text box.
- Click the OK button to launch Outlook.
Alternatively, you can open Outlook in a Safe Mode that deactivates all the application’s add-ins.
Sometimes, Safe Mode won’t accept your password. We’ve prepared a dedicated guide just for such an occasion.
6. Reset Auto-Complete
You can reset AutoComplete by clearing its cache. The RoamCache folder includes the AutoComplete cache. You can reset that cache by editing the RoamCache folder as follows.
- First, open File Explorer.
- Then open this folder in File Explorer:
- Right-click the RoamCache folder and select Rename.
- Enter ‘old_RoamCache’ as the folder’s title.
- Outlook will set up a new RoamCache folder when you open the application.
If you have any File Explorer issues on Windows 10, check out this dedicated guide to solve them.
7. Repair the PST File
- First, open your Outlook folder in File Explorer.
- That folder path could be this one on 64-bit Windows:
- Or this one on 32-bit platforms:
- Then click the scanpst.exe to open the Outlook Inbox Repair Tool window.
- Press the Browse button to select your PST file.
- Enter Outlook.pst in the Windows search bar if you’re not sure what folder the PST file is in.
- Click the Start button on the Outlook Inbox Repair Tool window to fix the PST file.
Repairing the PST file might fix AutoComplete. Outlook includes a SCANPST utility (Outlook Inbox Repair Tool) that you can repair the PST file with.
Those are a few resolutions that might fix Outlook‘s AutoComplete so that the To field displays email addresses again.
If you have any other questions, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.