Fix: Outlook autofill email address is not working
The Outlook autofill, otherwise AutoComplete, displays email addresses when you start to enter them in the To field. However, AutoComplete doesn’t always work for some users. If Outlook doesn’t display email addresses when you enter them in To, you might need to fix AutoComplete. This is how you can fix Outlook‘s autofill email address.
How to fix Outlook Autocomplete not working
- Check the AutoComplete Setting in Outlook
- Clear the AutoComplete List
- Turn Off Outlook Add-ins
- Open Outlook in Safe Mode
- Reset AutoComplete
- Repair the PST File
1. Check the AutoComplete Setting in Outlook
- Outlook includes an AutoComplete setting that needs to be selected. To check the AutoComplete option, click the File tab.
- Select Options to open the Outlook Options window.
- Select Mail on the left of the window.
- Scroll down to the Send messages options, which includes a Use AutoComplete List to suggest names when typing in the To, Cc, and Bcc lines option.
- Select the Use AutoComplete List to suggest names when typing in the To, Cc, and Bcc lines option if its check box isn’t selected.
2. Clear the AutoComplete List
If you don’t need to select the Use AutoComplete List to suggest names when typing in the To, Cc, and Bcc lines option, note the Empty AutoComplete List button beside it. Outlook includes a maximum 1,000 entries in its AutoComplete list, which you can clear by pressing the Empty AutoComplete List button. Press that button and click Yes to clear the AutoComplete list. Note that you’ll need to fully enter all the email addresses once before Outlook‘s autofill displays them again.
3. Turn Off Outlook Add-ins
You might need to turn off some add-ins to fix Outlook autofill email address. The iTunes Outlook Change Notifier add-in is one that corrupts the AutoComplete list. You can turn off Outlook add-ins as follows.
- Click File > Options to open the Outlook Options window.
- Then select Add-ins on the Outlook Options window.
- Select COM Add-ins on the Manage drop-down menu.
- Click the Go button.
- Deselect the add-ins’ check boxes to disable them.
- Press the OK button to close the window.
4. Open Outlook in Safe Mode
- Alternatively, you can open Outlook in a safe mode that deactivates all the application‘s add-ins. To do that, press the Windows key + X hotkey.
- Select Run to open the window in the snapshot below.
- Input ‘Outlook.exe /safe’ in the Open text box.
- Click the OK button to launch Outlook.
5. Reset AutoComplete
You can reset AutoComplete by clearing its cache. The RoamCache folder includes the AutoComplete cache. You can reset that cache by editing the RoamCache folder as follows.
- First, open File Explorer.
- Then open this folder in File Explorer: %LOCALAPPDATA%MicrosoftOutlook.
- Right-click the RoamCache folder and select Rename.
- Enter ‘old_RoamCache’ as the folder’s title.
- Outlook will set up a new RoamCache folder when you open the application.
6. Repair the PST File
Repairing the PST file might fix AutoComplete. Outlook includes a SCANPST utility (Outlook Inbox Repair Tool) that you can repair the PST file with. This is how you can utilize SCANPST in Windows.
- First, open your Outlook folder in File Explorer. That folder path could be Program Files(x86)Microsoft OfficerootOffice on 64-bit Windows or Program FilesMicrosoft OfficerootOffice on 32-bit platforms.
- Then click the scanpst.exe to open the Outlook Inbox Repair Tool window.
- Press the Browse button to select your PST file. Enter ‘Outlook.pst’ in the Windows search bar if you’re not sure what folder the PST file is in.
- Click the Start button on the Outlook Inbox Repair Tool window to fix the PST file.
Those are a few resolutions that might fix Outlook‘s AutoComplete so that the To field displays email addresses again. The Outlook Support and Recovery Assistant might also come in handy for fixing AutoComplete. You can download the Support and Recovery Assistant from this webpage.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- How to fix Outlook cannot connect to Gmail
- Outlook is running slow in Windows 10? Here are 14 fixes to use
- FIX: Outlook won’t respond or won’t connect
The Windows 10 Action Center includes Quick Action buttons that provide shortcuts for adjusting settings. For example, users can press the Tablet mode button to […]
Upgrading to a new version of Windows isn’t always simple, and many users reported The language or edition of the version of Windows is not […]