- As you know, the Outlook zoom slider only works in reading pane mode.
- Note that updating Outlook can fix the zoom button greyed-out issue.
- Using the keyboard and mouse to zoom is an alternative to consider.
Microsoft Outlook is one of the most productive tools for managing personal information such as webmail, contacts, calendar entries, and lots more.
Likewise, using a tool as advanced as Outlook has benefits. However, Microsoft Outlook, just like other platforms, has difficulties users complain about. One of these issues is that Outlook zoom is greyed out.
Furthermore, users can use the zoom feature in Outlook to draw nearer the content on the screen. It allows users to magnify the view of their emails, entries, calendars, meetings, and others.
Also, reading boldly through long messages or texts on your computer allows you to work faster. So, users can tap the zoom slider and lock the magnified screen on Outlook.
Consequently, Outlook zoom greyed out issues affect several parts of the platform and can prompt numerous other problems.
Some are: Outlook calendar zoom is greyed-out, Outlook email zoom is greyed-out, Outlook zoom slider stuck at 10, and many others.
Fortunately, there are ways to fix Outlook if the zoom button is greyed-out or not working. This article will take you through how to permanently fix the issue and get your Outlook zoom working in no time.
Why is the zoom bar greyed out in Outlook?
- Zoom is not enabled in Outlook: The zoom button can be greyed-out if the zoom feature is not enabled in Outlook. Users need to download the zoom add-in for Outlook to be able to use the zoom button.
- Corrupt zoom add-in: Users may encounter many issues with the zoom feature in Outlook if the zoom add-in is corrupt or broken. It can render the tool inaccessible and can cause Outlook zoom to greyed-out Office 365.
- Outdated Outlook software: Outlook may develop several issues if the app is outdated. It indicates that it lacks the essential updates and patches that help it fix bugs and improvements.
- Reading pane view is off: Using the zoom slider in Outlook may not work because it only works if the reading pane view is on. However, this may cause Outlook zooming in and out not to work.
You can check our article about how to shorten the duration of an appointment in Outlook to minimize time waste.
1. Update Outlook on your PC
- Launch Outlook on your computer and navigate to File.
- Click on the Office Account.
- Select the Update Options and click on the Enable Updates option or Update Now.
- Restart your PC.
Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken.
We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click here to download and start repairing.
Updating Outlook can help fix Outlook zoom in and out if it’s not working. Likewise, it is a good fix for the Outlook zoom slider stuck at 10.
2. Enable zoom in Outlook
- Launch Outlook and sign in to your account.
- Click on File in the upper-left corner of the screen and click on Info.
- Scroll down and click on Manage Add-ins. (It will prompt Outlook to open a browser to manage your add-ins)
- On the Outlook Add-Ins page, browse for zoom and click Add.
- Click on Enable.
3. Use another zoom method
If the zoom button is not working, there are other ways users can use the zoom feature in Outlook. The user can use the keyboard and mouse to access the zoom feature.
However, press and hold Ctrl on your keyboard, then tap + to zoom in as much as you want.
Likewise, press and hold the Ctrl key on your keyboard, then push the scroll wheel forward to enlarge your display in Outlook. It is a good alternative if the Outlook zoom button is greyed-out.
Users may be interested in the strikethrough shortcuts for easy access in text editors.
4. Restart your PC
Restarting the PC will fix startup issues affecting the Outlook app on your computer. Open Outlook and check if the zoom button works.
5. Turn on the Reading pane
- Go to the View tab, then select the Reading pane in the Layout group.
- Select On.
- Click on Change View and Apply Current View to Other Mail Folders.
Enabling the reading pane allows you to use the zoom slider.
Change the default Zoom size from Mail Composer
- Open a new email and move the cursor to the body of the message.
- Click on Format Text and tap on the Zoom button.
- Adjust the zoom rate to the desired level and click on OK.
- Save the message to access it in the Draft folder, then close the email.
- Create a new email to verify if the new default zoom level is working.
In conclusion, there are other issues you may encounter on Outlook. Hence, how to permanently fix Outlook meetings issues is a resourceful article that we recommend.
If this guide has been helpful, kindly leave your questions and suggestions in the comments. We’d like to hear from you.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.