Full Fix: PAGE NOT ZERO error in Windows 10
Blue Screen of Death errors are one of the most serious errors that you can encounter on your Windows 10 PC. These errors can be sometimes hard to fix, therefore today we’re going to show you how to fix PAGE_NOT_ZERO error.
How to fix PAGE NOT ZERO BSoD error
Table of contents:
- Download the latest Windows 10 updates
- Install the latest drivers
- Run the BSOD Troubleshooter
- Run the SFC scan
- Run DISM
- Check the hard drive
- Temporarily remove your antivirus program
- Update BIOS
- Reset Windows 10
- Check for faulty hardware
Fix – PAGE NOT ZERO Windows 10 error
Solution 1 – Download the latest Windows 10 updates
Blue Screen of Death errors can be caused by both hardware and software issues, and if your operating system has problems with certain hardware or software, you can usually fix those problems by downloading the latest patches.
Microsoft is constantly working on Windows 10, and new patches are released frequently. Many of these patches bring improved security, new features, and various bug fixes related to both hardware and software. If you’re experiencing any Blue Screen of Death errors on your Windows 10 PC, we strongly advise that you use Windows Update and download the latest patches.
Solution 2 – Install the latest drivers
Blue Screen of Death errors, such as PAGE_NOT_ZERO, can be caused by outdated or buggy drivers. Drivers are especially important because they allow your operating system to work with your hardware, and if certain driver is outdated or not compatible with Windows 10, you might experience a BSoD error.
To fix BSoD errors, it’s important that your drivers are up to date, and you can update the necessary drivers simply by visiting your hardware manufacturer’s website and downloading the latest drivers for your device. Bear in mind that you might have to update all drivers on your PC in order to fix this error.
Update drivers automatically
Searching for drivers on your own can be time-consuming. So, we advise you to use a tool that will do this for you automatically. Using an automatic driver updater will certainly save you from the hassle of searching for drivers manually, and it will always keep your system up to date with the latest drivers.
Tweakbit’s Driver Updater (approved by Microsoft and Norton Antivirus) will help you update drivers automatically and prevent PC damage caused by installing the wrong driver versions. After several tests, our team concluded that this is the best-automatized solution.
Here is a quick guide on how to use it:
- Download and install TweakBit Driver Updater
- Once installed, the program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically. Driver Updater will check your installed driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
- Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. To update one driver at a time, click the ‘Update driver’ link next to the driver name. Or simply click the ‘Update all’ button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.
Note: Some drivers need to be installed in multiple steps so you will have to hit the ‘Update’ button several times until all of its components are installed.
Solution 3 – Run the BSOD Troubleshooter
In case updating your drivers didn’t get the job done, let’s try Windows 10’s built-in troubleshooting tool. This tool is designed to deal with various system issues, including the BSOD problems. So, it might be helpful when resolving the PAGE_NOT_ZERO error, as well.
Here’s how to run Windows 10’s built-in troubleshooting tool:
- Open the Settings app and go to Update & Security section.
- Select Troubleshoot from the menu on the left.
- Select BSOD from the right pane and click Run the troubleshooter.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the troubleshooter.
Solution 4 – Run the SFC scan
Another troubleshooter that could be helpful here is the SFC scan. This is a command-line tool that scans your system for potential flaws, and resolves them, if possible. So, it could also resolve the PAGE_NOT_ZERO error.
Here’s how to run the SFC scan in Windows 10:
- Go to Search, type cmd, and open the Command Prompt as Administrator.
- Enter the following line and press Enter: sfc/scannow
- Wait for the scan to complete (it will take a while)
- The tool will automatically resolve the problem, if possible.
- Now, close the Command Prompt and restart your computer.
Solution 5 – Run DISM
And the final troubleshooting tool we’re going to try is DISM. This is perhaps the most powerful troubleshooter, as it deploys the system image all over again.
We’ll walk you through both standard and the procedure that utilizes the installation media below:
- Standard way
- Right-click Start and open Command Prompt (Admin).
- Paste the following command and press Enter:
- Wait until the scan is finished.
- Restart your computer and try updating again.
- With the Windows installation media
- Insert your Windows installation media.
- Right-click the Start menu and, from the menu, choose the Command Prompt (Admin).
- In the command line, type the following commands and press Enter after each:
- dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
- dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
- Now, type the following command and press Enter:
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:SourcesInstall.wim:1 /LimitAccess
- Make sure to change an X value with the letter of the mounted drive with Windows 10 installation.
- After the procedure is finished, restart your computer.
Solution 6 – Check the hard drive
If there’s a problem with your hard drive, BSOD issues are quite possible. To check if that’s the case, run the chkdsk command. This command will scan all your partitions for potential problems. If the solution is available, this tool will also apply it.
Here’s how to run the chkdsk command in Windows 10:
- Enter the Advanced Startup (Restart your computer while holding the Shift key).
- Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced Options.
- Select Command Prompt from the list of options.
- When Command Prompt appears, enter the following lines and press Enter after each line in order to run it:
- Some users are also suggesting that you need to run additional chkdsk commands as well. To perform these commands, you need to know drive letters for all your hard drive partitions. In Command Prompt you should enter the following (but remember to use the letters that match your hard drive partitions on your PC):
This is just our example, so keep in mind that you have to perform chkdsk command for every hard drive partition that you have.
- Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
Solution 7 – Temporarily remove your antivirus program
It’s not uncommon for Blue Screen of Death errors to be caused by third-party software such as your antivirus. According to users, Both Avast and Bitdefender can cause these types of errors to appear, therefore be sure to remove that software from your PC. Uninstalling the software might not be enough since antivirus programs are prone to leaving certain files and registry entries behind after you uninstall them.
- READ ALSO: How to fix Windows Error Code 0xc0000185
To completely remove an antivirus program from your PC, we strongly suggest that you use a dedicated removal tool. Almost all antivirus companies have a dedicated removal tool for their software available for download, so be sure that you download it and use it.
Even though users reported Avast and Bitdefender as the main causes for PAGE_NOT_ZERO Blue Screen of Death error, you should know that almost any antivirus program can cause this error to appear, therefore it’s advised to remove all third-party antivirus programs from your PC. If removing the antivirus fixes the error, you can now reinstall it, or you can switch to a different antivirus software.
Solution 8 – Update BIOS
Few users reported that they fixed PAGE_NOT_ZERO Blue Screen of Death error by performing BIOS update. By updating BIOS you’ll unlock new features of your motherboard thus allowing it to work with new hardware. Bear in mind that updating BIOS is a potentially dangerous procedure, so be extra careful if you don’t want to cause any damage to your motherboard. To make sure that you update your BIOS properly, we strongly advise you to check your motherboard manual for instructions.
Solution 9 – Reset Windows 10
If this error is caused by certain software, you can easily fix it by resetting Windows 10. This procedure is similar to clean install, so we advise you to back up all your important files before you start it. In addition, you might also need a bootable USB flash drive with Windows 10 on it, so be sure to create one. To reset Windows 10, do the following:
- Restart your computer few times during the boot sequence to start Automatic Repair.
- Choose Troubleshoot > Reset this PC > Remove everything. You might get asked to insert Windows 10 installation media, so be prepared to do so.
- Select Only the drive where Windows is installed > Just remove my files and click the Reset button.
- Follow the instructions to complete the reset.
After you complete the reset don’t install any software. Instead test your PC for a while and check if the error appears again. If the error appears again, it’s probably caused by your hardware.
Solution 10 – Check for faulty hardware
If you’re having PAGE_NOT_ZERO Blue Screen of Death error, we strongly advise that you check your RAM first. Several users reported that faulty RAM can cause this error to appear, therefore we urge you to test if your RAM is working properly. Sometimes you just have to place your RAM into a different slot in order to fix this error.
If your RAM is working properly, check other hardware components. Users reported that faulty CPU caused this error, so be sure to check your processor first, and then move on to other components.
If you’re still having issues with your hardware or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to fix various PC problems, such as hardware failure, but also file loss and malware.
PAGE_NOT_ZERO Blue Screen of Death error is usually caused by software or faulty RAM, but you can easily fix it by using one of our solutions.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in June 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- Fix: Error Code C101A006 While Trying to Buy Windows Apps
- Fix: Your Microsoft Account requires attention to get insider builds
- Fix: Trying to Install Photoshop CS2 ‘Error 1926’ in Windows
- Fix: Cortana Search Box Missing on Windows 10
- Fix: FILE_SYSTEM error on Windows 10
Microsoft has released an update for Adobe Flash Player, that was described in Adobe’s Security Bulletin which was released December 7th, 2018. The update fixes […]
It looks like we are now going to be enjoying constant updates, Reddit discussion comments, and rumours and gossip about the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge […]
Having a nice Christmas tree in your house helps you to bring the winter holiday mood to your home. You can also bring this mood […]