- If programs close immediately after opening this can be a result of a bad Windows update.
- Removing the problematic update from your PC is one of the fastest ways to fix this issue.
- Alternatively, check if the problem is due to a third-party software conflict.
- If programs keep closing by themselves on Windows 10, you might have to restore your system.
After the recent KB update for Windows 10, many users have reported the programs close immediately after opening . After the update, Windows abruptly closes the open applications without any warning. This problem seems to have affected almost all the apps.
The reason for this error can vary. While some users have reported it as a Windows update glitch, but third-party app conflicts seem to have triggered the error for others.
In this article, we take a look at a few troubleshooting steps to help you resolve the issue in Windows 10.
What do I do if programs close immediately after opening?
1. Boot in Clean Boot mode
- Press the Windows key + R to open Run.
- Type msconfig.msc and click OK to open System Configuration.
- Open the Services tab in the System Configuration window.
- Check the Hide all Microsoft services box. This will hide all the essential Microsoft services.
- Once done, click the Disable All button. This will disable all the non-essential services.
- Next, open the Startup tab. Click on Open Task Manager.
- In the Task Manager, disable all the startup apps. Choose an app, and click on Disable.
- Once you have disabled all the apps, go back to System Configuration.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
- Click Restart Now when the prompt appears.
Your PC will now boot in Clean Boot mode with only essential Microsoft services running. After the restart, check if the programs close immediately after the opening problem persists.
If the apps remain open, you may have a third-party software conflict that is abruptly closing the apps on its own. If the apps close even in Clean Boot Mode, then boot into Safe Mode for further diagnostic.
This might be a lengthy process, but it can surely help if programs close immediately after opening on your PC. This solution can also help if you’re getting Programs still need to close message in Windows 10.
2. Disable and uninstall Asus GPU Tweak
- Click the System Tray icon, and right-click on Asus GPU Tweak 2/3.
- Choose Close/Exit.
- After closing the app, relaunch any app on your PC and check if it stays open without any issues.
- If you decide the problem to have occurred due to Asus GPU tweak, uninstall the app.
Uninstall Asus GPU Tweak
- Press the Windows key + R to open Run.
- Type control panel and click OK to open the Control Panel.
- Go to Programs and open Programs and Features.
- Locate the Asus Tweak GPU app and click Uninstall.
- Click Yes/Uninstall to confirm the action. Wait for the app to uninstall.
- Once uninstalled, restart your computer and check if programs close immediately after opening issue is resolved.
Asus Tweak GPU app has been reported to be conflicting with other Windows apps, causing an abrupt shutdown. After installing the app, make sure to install the latest version of Asus Tweak GPU from the official website.
Keep in mind that other apps can cause this problem, so you might have to remove them as well. To make sure that an application is completely removed, we suggest using uninstaller software such as IObit Uninstaller.
3. Boot in Safe Mode
- Press the Windows key + I to open Settings.
- Go to Update & Security.
- Open the Recovery tab from the left pane.
- Under Advanced Startup, click the Restart Now button.
- Click the Troubleshoot option.
- Open the Advanced Options.
- Under Advanced Options, click Start-up Settings.
- Click the Restart button.
- Windows will display multiple boot options.
- Press 4/F4 key on your keyboard to choose Safe Mode.
Your PC will now boot in Safe Mode. Once in Safe Mode, launch any app on your PC and check if the apps closing issue persists. Apart from third-party apps, buggy Windows 10 updates can also cause the app to close without warning.
To prevent this issue, uninstall the latest Windows update installed from the Control Panel.
4. Uninstall Windows update
- Press the Windows key, type control and click on Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel, click on Uninstall a program option under Programs.
- From the left pane, click on View installed updates. This will list all the Windows updates installed on your computer.
- Locate the most recently installed Windows update. Choose the update and click Uninstall.
- Following are some of the known updates to have caused this issue:
- Once you have uninstalled these updates, reboot the computer and check for any improvements.
Do note that you may have to disable Windows 10 updates to stop these updates from installing automatically. Or check for any pending Windows 10 update that may include a fix.
5. Perform System Restore
- Press the Windows key and type system restore.
- Click on Create a Restore Point.
- Click the System Restore button.
- Click Next.
- Check the Show more restore points box to see older restore points.
- Next, choose the most recently created Restore Point from the list.
- Click Next and then click Finish.
- Your PC will turn off and restart to complete the restore.
The programs close immediately after opening issue can occur due to a buggy Windows 10 update or a third-party software conflict.
If the solutions from this guide helped you fix the issue, let us know in the comments below.