In previous versions of Windows, you could easily change the name of your network, but in Windows 10 it seems that it’s harder to rename the network.
If you wish to change the name of the network in Windows 10, today we’re going to show you how.
In Windows 7 it was easy to rename your network connection, you just had to go to the Network and Sharing center and click your connection to change its name.
In Windows 10 you can’t do that anymore, but luckily there’s a different way to change your network name.
Steps to rename a network in Windows 10
Method 1 – Use Registry Editor to change network name
You can easily change the name of a certain network by performing one registry tweak. Here’s exactly what you need to do:
- Open Registry Editor. You can do that by pressing Windows Key + R and typing regedit and clicking OK.
- When Registry Editor opens you need to go to the following key in the left pane:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles
- Now you need go through all subkeys (they are all labeled with random numbers and letters) under the Profiles key until you find the key with that has ProfileName set as the name of your network.
- In the right pane double click the ProfileName in order to change its value.
- Change the Value data to the desired name of your network connection.
- Close Registry Editor.
- In order to apply changes, you might have to restart your computer, or to sign out and sign in again.
Method 2 – Use Local Security Policy to change network name
If you don’t want to experiment with your Registry, there’s another way to rename a network. So, here’s how to rename a network by using the Local Security Policy:
- Press Windows Key + R, type secpol.msc and press Enter to run it.
- In Local Security Policy window, go to the Network List Manager Policies in the left pane.
- Now in the right pane double click on the network name that you want to change.
- In the Properties windows under the Name section make sure that Name is selected.
- Now in the input field enter the name that you wish to use for your connection.
- Click Apply then OK to save the changes.
- You might have to log in again or to restart your computer before the changes are applied.
And that’s how you rename the network in Windows 10. If you have any comments, or questions, just reach for the comments section, below.