What to do if Skype keeps closing in Windows 10
5 solutions to fix Skype if it keeps closing
- Reset Skype application
- Install Media Feature Pack
- Check that Skype is up to date
- Run the Windows troubleshooter
- Reinstall Skype
Skype can be used on your computer, phone or tablet. It is free to download and very easy to use. But just like any other application, it certainly has its ups and downs.
If you use Skype on your computer that runs Windows 10 and the application keeps closing, then take a look at the solutions described below and, hopefully, at the end your problem will be solved.
FIX: Skype closes immediately after opening
Solution 1: Reset Skype
The reset feature deletes all app’s data and restarts an application if it is not working properly. Resetting Skype application in Windows 10 is a very simple process so please follow the steps below:
- Press Windows + I keys in order to go to Windows Settings
- Click on Apps and find Skype in the list of Apps and features
- Turn to expanded view by clicking on the Skype app
- Click on Advanced options and then click on the Reset button
Note: Once you reset Skype application, you will lose all the data in the app. So our suggestion is for you to take a back up of your useful data before starting the process of resetting.
Solution 2: Install Media Feature Pack
This media pack is intended to prevent media related problems so please follow the process described below and check if this helps you solve the problem:
- Navigate to Microsoft’s official website and go down the page in order to locate the download information section. There you will find two options: for 32 bit processors (x86) and one of 64-bit processors (x64).
- Download the relevant file and then run it from your Downloads folder
- Follow the instructions on screen
- Restart your computer.
If you do not know what option to choose, the 32 bit processors (x86) or the 64-bit processors (x64), then:
- Type file explorer in the search box on your taskbar
- Locate This PC folder and choose Properties
- In the General properties tab you will see the system information
- Check under System type to see which version of the CPU you have.
Solution 3: Check that Skype is up to date
You can check for available updates anytime you want and install them yourself:
- Sign in to Skype
- In the menu bar click on Help and then go to Check for Updates
- If an update is available, you will be asked to download it
- Click on Download
Skype can also install updates automatically. In order to check if this is happening:
- Sign in to Skype and then go to Tools in the menu bar
- Click on Options and select Automatic updates under the Advanced tab
- Make sure that Automatic updates are turned on.
Solution 4: Run the Windows troubleshooter
Another suggestion is to use the built-in troubleshooter that can help you fix general technical issues in just a couple of minutes. In order to do that:
- In the search box on your taskbar, type troubleshoot
- Scroll down to the bottom and click on Windows Store apps troubleshooter
- Click on Run the troubleshooter button and follow the instructions.
In case the troubleshooter itself is not available, you can use this step-by-step guide to fix it.
Solution 5: Reinstall Skype
If none of the solutions described above worked, then the best option for you is to try to reinstall the Skype app completely:
- Open Control Panel and select View by: Category at the top right corner
- Click on Uninstall a Program under the Programs section
- Locate Skype and click on Uninstall
- Follow the instructions in order to uninstall it completely
- After the process is over, download the program again from the Internet
All in all, we hope you found this article to be useful and now Skype works normally. Please feel free to let us know what other solutions you found to be useful.
- Full Fix: Skype video lags behind audio on Windows 10, 8.1, 7
- SOLVED: Skype won’t ring on incoming calls
- Fix Skype error: The specified account already exists
- FIX: Skype Won’t Let me Type Username or Password
Windows 10 is an amazing platform, but sometimes you won’t be able to access certain files due to PC has blocked access to this file error. […]
Being one of the most popular brands of embroidery machines on the market, Brother is an incredibly user-friendly machine that can give you the possibility […]
For the proper functioning of the audio and speakers of your computer, Windows requires Sound Drivers. While the Sound Drivers are generally unaffected by anything, […]