- A Status invalid image format message will prevent you from running certain apps.
- This article shows exactly the settings to change or the tools to use to fix the issue.
- Interested in knowing more about this great browser? Take a look at the Chrome Hub.
- Become an expert in dealing with Windows 10 errors with our Troubleshooting guides.
The status invalid image format error can appear in Chrome while trying to run certain applications. As a result, you won’t be able to run the desired programs.
The error mostly affects video games such as Arma 3 and is usually generated by missing components such as DirectX, .NET Framework, and Visual C++ Redistributables.
Besides, it’s been oftentimes reported that some G-suite modules such as Word or Excel won’t run because of this issue.
So in this article, we’ll try to shed some light on the matter and offer a few solutions.
How can I fix the status invalid image format error?
- Check your antivirus
- Make sure that your drivers are up to date
- Make sure that the application isn’t trying to load a 32-bit DLLs
- Reinstall the application
- Perform an SFC or DISM scan
- Update or reinstall DirectX
- Download/update .NET Framework and Visual C++ Redistributables
- Verify the integrity of game cache
1. Check your antivirus
Your antivirus can sometimes interfere with certain applications and cause the mentioned error.
To fix this problem, it’s important to make sure that your antivirus isn’t blocking the application you’re trying to run. More specifically, add the application to the exclusions list.
If that doesn’t help, perhaps you can try disabling certain antivirus features or disable your antivirus altogether.
Another thing to try is to uninstall your antivirus, in which case you’ll be protected on Windows 10 by Windows Defender.
On the other hand, we strongly recommend switching to an antivirus that doesn’t interfere with other processes.
Bitdefender is such a solution. It offers great protection with minimum impact upon your system.
Besides, it comes with three available modes, depending on your activity. They ensure a balanced use of all resources, while also ensuring optimal real-time protection.
Bitdefender Antivirus PlusBitdefender doesn't trade protection for less impact on processes. It ensures both!
2. Make sure that your drivers are up to date
Sometimes the Status invalid image format message can appear when trying to run certain games, especially if your drivers aren’t up to date.
So update all your important drivers, such as chipset, sound, network, graphics, etc. Visit your device manufacturer’s website for each of these components and download the latest drivers for it.
Updating drivers manually can be a bit tedious, especially since you need to know the model of each component you’re trying to update.
Besides, you’ll get recommendations of only the compatible drivers for your device. For sure, this is the safest and quickest solution to fulfill this job.
In the future, whenever you suspect that the drivers’ updating process isn’t complete, you can use this tool.
DriverFixRestore the functionality of your device by keeping all the drivers up to date with this simple, yet powerful tool.
3. Make sure that the application isn’t trying to load a 32-bit DLLs
Although a rare occurrence, the Status invalid image format message can appear when the application you’re trying to run tries to load a 32-bit to a 64-bit process.
Users suggest using Dependency Walker in profile mode in order to find out which DLL is causing the problem.
What you need to do is to download this tool to open the application that displays this error.
This way, you’ll be able to see which DLL file is causing the issue.
Keep in mind that this is an advanced solution, so if you’re a basic user that isn’t familiar with Dependency Walker, perhaps you should skip this solution.
4. Reinstall the application
If Status invalid image format message appears while trying to run a certain application, the issue might be related to that application itself, which might have gotten corrupted.
Reinstalling the application could help. There are several methods that you can use to reinstall the application.
At the same time, it’s very important to also completely uninstall the initial app using a dedicated tool such as IOBit Uninstaller.
In case you aren’t familiar, uninstaller software will remove the selected application, but it will also remove all files and registry entries associated with it.
By doing so, you’ll prevent any leftover files from interfering with your system and it will be as if the application had never been installed.
IObit UninstallerPrevent program errors by making sure unwanted apps are fully uninstalled with this efficient tool.
5. Perform an SFC or DISM scan
- Start Command Prompt as administrator by pressing Windows Key + X.
- Enter sfc /scannow and press Enter to run it.
- The scanning process will now start. The scan can take about 15 minutes or more, so don’t interrupt it.
After the scan is finished, check if the error message still appears.
If the sfc/scannow stops out of the blue, see these easy solutions to fix the issue.
If the issue remains unresolved, or if you couldn’t run SFC scan, be sure to use DISM scan instead.
- Run Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Enter the following command and press Enter
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- DISM scan will now start. This scan can take about 20 minutes or even more, so don’t interrupt it.
After the scan is finished, check if the error message is still there. If you were unable to run the SFC scan before, try running it again and check if the problem is still there.
According to users, sometimes your DirectX installation can cause the mentioned error .
This usually happens when you’re trying to run certain games on your PC, and in order to fix the problem, it’s advised to update DirectX to the latest version.
If DirectX is already up to date, you might want to try reinstalling it and check if that solves your problem.
7. Download/update .NET Framework and Visual C++ Redistributables
Sometimes the Status invalid image format error appears if you don’t have the necessary components installed.
Namely, certain applications relay on .NET Framework and Visual C++ Redistributables in order to work properly, and if you don’t have them installed, you might encounter various issues.
So just download or update both of them from Microsoft’s official sources and you’re good to go.
After you update/install .NET Framework and Visual C++, the problem should be completely resolved.
8. Verify the integrity of game cache
- Open your game library, and locate the game that displays the error.
- Right-click it and choose Properties from the menu.
- Head over to the Local files tab and click Verify integrity of game files button.
- Steam will now verify the integrity of your game cache. (This process can take about 15 minutes, sometimes more depending on the size of the game).
Once the process is finished, check if the error message still appears.
To conclude, the Status invalid image format message can prevent you from running certain applications on your PC. However, we hope that you managed to fix this problem using one of our solutions.
If you have other suggestions on this topic, feel free to reach us in the comments below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in December 2018 and was completely revamped and updated in September 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.