The NET view command allows the users to manage File Shares, Printer Shares, and sessions. However, while using the command several users have reported the System error 6118 has occurred error on the screen.
This error can occur due to several reasons including your antivirus and firewall configuration blocking the connection from connecting to the servers.
If you are also troubled by this error, here are a couple of troubleshooting tips to help you resolve the System error 6118 has occurred in Windows computers.
How do I fix System error 6118 has occurred error?
1. Disable firewall and antivirus
Disable Windows Defender Firewall
- Click on Start and select Settings.
- Go to Update and Security.
- Click on Windows Security.
- Open Windows Firewall and Network Protection.
- Open the currently active network.
- Scroll down to the Windows Defender Firewall section.
- Toggle the switch to turn off Windows Defender Firewall.
- When prompted to confirm the action, click Yes.
- Do the same with other currently active networks.
- If you have a third-party antivirus with a firewall installed, you may need to also disable it as well.
- Launch your antivirus program.
- Check if it comes with built-in firewall protection.
- Disable firewall protection.
- You may also want to disable the antivirus temporarily to completely disable anything that can be blocking the connection.
- Close the antivirus settings window and check if you are able to access the server using the Net View command.
After disabling the firewall, check if each PC is in the same workgroup. Next, ping PC2 from PC1 to make sure that the network is OK. Do the same with PC1 to PC2.
2. Reset the network stack
- Press the Windows key.
- Type cmd, right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- In the Command Prompt, type the following command one by one and hit enter:
netsh winsock reset
netsh interface ipv4 reset
netsh interface ipv6 reset
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
netsh advfirewall reset
- Once all the commands are executed, close the Command Prompt window.
Restart Discovery Provider Host
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
- Type services.msc and click OK to open Services.
- In the Services window, find Function Discovery Provider service.
- Right-click on Function Discovery Provider and select Properties.
- Click the Stop button.
- This will open Stop Other Servies window.
- Stopping the Function Discovery Provider also automatically stops the Function Discovery Resource Publication service.
- Click Yes to confirm and stop the service.
- Click the Start button.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Close the Services window and try using the Net View command to see if that resolved the error.
If the issue persists, make sure that the Computer Browser service is started on all machines, and NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled on the NIC settings.
You may also want to check if the Network Discovery is turned on. You can do that by accessing the Advanced Sharing setting in Network and Sharing Center.
The system error 6118 has occurred error occurs when there is an issue with your network firewall or internet configuration.
You can start by disabling the firewall and then move on to resetting the network connection to resolve the issue.