Microsoft Office 365 requires the users who purchased the license for the office suite to register the product with the Microsoft server.
While you can easily registry any of the Microsoft product including the Office 365 license using any of the Office application like the Word or Powerpoint, at times Office 365 may fail to register the license.
Office 365 users have reported “Sorry we are having temporary server issues” error while trying to activate their Office 365 license. If you are struggling with the same error, here are a couple of solutions to fix this problem on your system.
Sorry we are having temporary server issues [Office 365 FIX]
- Check Your Computer’s Time Zone
- Run Office as Administrator
- Disable Two Factor Authentication
- Turn off Firewall
- Use Support and Recovery Assistant for Office 365
- Download Activation Troubleshooter (Office 2019 – 2016)
- Contact Microsoft Official Support
1. Check Your Computer’s, Time Zone
Incorrect Time Zone can create server related issues resulting in this error. Make sure that time, date and time zone is set correctly on your system before trying to activate the license.
2. Run Office as Administrator
Running the Office application with administrative privilege can fix the temporary server issues as well.
- Type any of the Office application in the Cortana/Search bar. For example, type Word.
- Right-click on Word and select “Run as Administrator” option.
Once the Office application is up and running, try to activate the license check for any improvements.
3. Disable Two Factor Authentication
Assuming that you are using the same Microsoft email account to activate the license that you used for the purchase, you may also want to disable two-factor authentications to activate it successfully. If the account has two-factor authentications enabled, try disabling it.
- Login to Microsoft Account using a web browser.
- Next, go to Account Manage page. If you are not already signed in, you may have to sign in again.
- In the page, scroll down to Two-step verification.
- Click on Turn off two-step verification.
- A pop-up window will ask if you are sure about turning off two-step verification. Click Yes.
That’s it. You have successfully disabled Two-step verification for Microsoft account.
Launch Microsoft Office and enter the activation key. If the activation is displayed, move to the next method.
4. Turn off Firewall
If you have an antivirus program installed with the Firewall protection, you may want to disable the Firewall temporarily to fix the issue. At times, the firewall may block any outgoing connection for security reasons.
Launch your antivirus program and turn off the Firewall. Or simply quit the Antivirus software temporarily.
You may also want to turn off the Windows Firewall that is enabled by the default. Here is how to do it.
- Click on Start and select Settings.
- Click on Update and Security.
- Select Windows Security and then click on Firewall and network protection.
- Under Firewall and Network protection, click on Private Network (Active).
- Click on the toggle switch under Windows Defender Firewall to turn off the Firewall.
- Make sure box under Incoming Connections section for “block all incoming connections including those in the list of allows apps” is unchecked.
- Close the Settings window.
Launch the Microsoft office and try to activate the license. Make sure to re-enable the Firewall and the Antivirus protection after the activation is successful.
5. Use Support and Recovery Assistant for Office 365
Microsoft offers a Support and Recovery Assistance for Office 365 tool that can help you identify the activation issues with Office 365.
- Download the Support and Recovery for Office 365 tool.
- Run the installer and when the dialogue box opens click on Install.
- The app will open in a new window. Select “I agree” to accept the service agreement.
- Click on Yes when prompted by the UAC.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the Recovery process.
6. Download Activation Troubleshooter (Office 2019 – 2016)
If you are using Office 2019 or 2016, the activation troubleshooter from Microsoft can help you fix the issue.
- Download Activation Troubleshooter.
- Run the Troubleshooter and follow the on-screen instructions.
7. Contact Microsoft Official Support
If none of the solutions were helpful in fixing this error and you are still unable to activate the license, contact Microsoft support. The team can help you on the phone, remotely.
If the support is unable to solve the problem immediately, wait for a day or two. If the error is from Microsoft’s end, the support staff will fix the issue and notify you through email.
RELATED STORIES YOU MAY LIKE:
- How to run Microsoft Office Picture Manager on Windows 10
- 6 document management software to improve efficiency at the office
- This is where you can get Office Click-to-Run installer