- Touchpad gestures are different shortcuts that you can perform with the help of the touchpad of your PC.
- Sometimes, touchpad gestures stop working because of outdated drivers or some other reasons.
- The issue can be easily fixed by enabling the Advanced touchpad option from the BIOS, as described below.
A touchpad or trackpad is a specialized surface that can sense your finger motion and position on your OS and display the information on your screen.
The touchpad works like a mouse; you can use it to control your screen. If you use a laptop, you may know how frustrating it is when the trackpad or touchpad stops working.
Why are the touchpad gestures not working on Windows 11?
With Windows 11, most of the users are facing touch gestures issues. The common causes of your touchpad not functioning are the following.
- The driver might be outdated – When the drivers are not updated, touchpad gestures start malfunctioning.
- Two-Finger Scrolling is disabled – In some laptops, you need to enable the two-finger scroll from the settings.
- Hardware issues – In certain cases, the hardware itself might be damaged.
So, in order to help you get out of this situation, we have compiled a list of some solutions you can give a try. Let’s move forward and dig into the fixes.
What can I do if touchpad gestures aren’t working on Windows 11?
Before having the detailed solutions, let us list some quick checks for Windows 11 gestures you can follow:
- Make sure the cursor is not frozen. If yes, try restarting your laptop or PC.
- Make sure that the touchpad does not have any hardware issues.
- Check if you have not accidentally disabled the touchpad from the shortcut keys.
As we know the basic checks that may help us to solve our problem, If not, then let’s get to the detailed fixes now.
1. Enable the Advance touchpad option from BIOS
- Switch on your laptop and open the BIOS settings by pressing the F1, F10, or F12 buttons usually.
- Now go to the Main tab, then access the Touchpad option.
- Select the Advanced option.
- Save your settings and exit BIOS.
The laptop’s touchpad has settings ranging from the most basic to the most complicated, and you may swap between the two as needed.
You may have turned off the advanced touchpad option while installing Windows 11 on your computer. As a consequence of this, the gestures will be ineffective.
Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken.
We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click here to download and start repairing.
If you are facing an issue entering the BIOS options of your system, then you have to check our guide on how to enter BIOS on Windows.
2. Check Advanced Gesture from Settings
- Click the Windows icon at the bottom of the taskbar and select the Settings option from the menu.
- Find the Bluetooth & Devices from the sidebar menu and click it. Then, on the right pane, look for the Touchpad
- Inside the touchpad, locate Advanced Gestures in the Related Settings section and click on it.
- From there, set again all the gestures, and you are done.
The touchpad settings may be different for each user. Windows will automatically determine which gestures are compatible with your laptop hardware and display them in accordance with the information.
3. Update your drivers
If you’re not updating your device drivers, significant errors and performance issues, such as touchpad gesture errors, can interfere. The good thing is that you can use specialized tools to scan your PC and update your drivers automatically.
Most of the time, the generic drivers for your PC’s hardware and peripherals are not properly updated by the system. There are key differences between a generic driver and a manufacturer’s driver.Searching for the right driver version for each of your hardware components can become tedious. That’s why an automated assistant can help you find and update your system with the correct drivers every time, and we strongly recommend DriverFix. Here’s how to do it:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for the detection of all your faulty drivers.
- DriverFix will now show you all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for the app to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Keep your PC components drivers working perfectly without putting your PC at risk.
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
4. Reset the Touchpad settings
- Click the Windows icon at the bottom of the taskbar, navigate and click on the Settings option.
- Find the Bluetooth & Devices from the sidebar menu and click it. Then, on the right pane, look for the Touchpad and click on it.
- Now click Reset, and your Touchpad settings will be reset.
After performing a reset, the touchpad settings will be restored to their original state, eliminating future problems.
You may also have a problem with your touchpad on your system. In this case, you will need to purchase a new one. Check out some of the best touchpads for Windows PCs as well.
5. Run the Device Troubleshooter
- Click on the Search icon, search for the cmd, and click on Run as administrator.
- Type the following command and press Enter:
msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic
- When Hardware and Devices troubleshooter window prompts, click on Next.
- Select your Touchpad from the list, then as you want to troubleshoot it and click Next.
- If the tool comes up with an automatic repair, hit Apply this fix.
Once the process is completed, check the gestures of your touchpad again; we hope they will be working now.
Furthermore, if your touchpad is damaged and you want a new one check out the detailed guide on the best touchpad.
If you are using an ASUS laptop and your touchpad is making problems, then check our guide to fix the ASUS touchpad not working issue.
We hope that this article helped you in tackling your problem of gestures. Tell us which method works for you the best and if you have any questions in your mind; do let us know in the comments section below.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.