- Users often claim that the touchpad seems to have a problem. The click is no longer working.
- If that’s your case too, once again check that delay is turned off and try to reinstall the driver.
- We can only encourage you to keep on looking for more useful tips in our Touchpad section.
- For precise answers to similar questions, bookmark our Peripherals Troubleshooting Hub.
Many users prefer using a trackpad instead of their mouse. However, some users reported that the touchpad click is not working any longer.
This can be a big problem for some users, and in today’s article, we’ll try to fix this problem. Just keep on reading the solutions detailed below.
What can I do if the touchpad click is not working?
- Be sure that this feature is enabled
- Make sure that delay is turned off
- Reinstall the touchpad driver
- Run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
- Make sure that your drivers are up to date
- Make changes to your registry
- Perform a System Restore
1. Be sure that this feature is enabled
- Press Windows Key + S and enter control panel. Select Control Panel from the list.
- When the Control Panel opens, select Mouse.
- The mouse window will now open. Go to the Device settings tab.
- Now click the Settings button and go to Tapping.
- Check the Enable tapping checkbox and click OK.
If the touchpad click is not working on your laptop, it’s possible that it isn’t enabled. Your trackpad supports various configuration.
In order to enable this feature, you just need to complete the above steps. After making these changes, the tapping feature should be enabled and everything will start working again.
A couple of users reported that Tap to click feature was already enabled, but after turning it off and back on again, the problem was resolved.
2. Make sure that delay is turned off
- Open the Settings app. To do that quickly, use Windows Key + I shortcut.
- When the Settings app opens, go to the Devices section.
- From the menu on the left choose Touchpad. In the right pane look to make sure that the delay is set to No Delay.
If the touchpad click feature isn’t working, the problem might be the delay settings. Many touchpads have this option enabled in order to prevent accidental clicks.
However, if touch click feature isn’t working on your laptop, perhaps you should disable this feature entirely. To do that, follow the above steps.
After doing that, there won’t be any delay anymore, and the touchpad click should start working without any issues.
3. Reinstall the touchpad driver
- Open Device Manager. The fastest way to do that is to press Windows Key + X and choose Device Manager from the list.
- Locate your touchpad driver, right-click it, and choose Uninstall device from the menu.
- When the confirmation dialog appears, just click Uninstall. If Remove driver software for this device option is available, don’t check it.
According to users, your drivers can sometimes get corrupted and that will cause the problem with your touchpad.
If trackpad touch click feature doesn’t work on your PC, it’s possible that there’s an issue with your drivers.
However, you can fix this problem simply by reinstalling your touchpad drivers. After doing that, you’ll have to restart your device and Windows will automatically install the necessary drivers.
In some cases, you might have to restart your PC twice to solve the problem.
Few users suggested that instead of a touchpad driver you should reinstall mouse driver, so you might want to try that as well.
4. Run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
- Open the Settings app and head over to the Update & Security section.
- Choose Troubleshoot from the left pane. In the right pane, select Hardware and Devices and click Run the troubleshooter button.
- When the Troubleshooter window opens, follow the instructions on the screen to complete it.
According to users, certain glitches can sometimes occur with your device, and the same goes with your touchpad.
If trackpad touch click feature isn’t working properly, there might be a glitch with your touchpad. This might be a minor problem, and you can fix it using the built-in troubleshooter.
In case you don’t know, Windows has many troubleshooters available, and you can use them to automatically fix common problems.
Once the troubleshooter process is finished, check if the problem is still there. Several users reported that this method worked for them, so be sure to try it out.
Your touchpad is disabled on the logon screen? Here‘s how to fix it.
5. Make sure that your drivers are up to date
According to users, touchpad issues can occur due to your drivers. If your drivers out of date, they might have certain bugs, and that will cause the touchpad click to stop working.
This can be a big problem, and in order to fix it, it’s advised to update your drivers. The best way to do that is to download the touchpad driver from the manufacturer’s website.
Once you download the latest driver, install it and the problem should be resolved. Although this method is effective, sometimes you might have problems finding the appropriate driver.
However, you can update all your drivers automatically by using third-party software such as TweakBit Driver Updater.
This tool is quite simple to use, and it will scan your PC for outdated drivers and update them automatically for you.
If you need to update your drivers, but you don’t want to search for them manually, be sure to try it out.
6. Make changes to your registry
- Press Windows Key + R and enter regedit. Press Enter or click OK.
- In the left pane, navigate to
- In the right pane, double-click DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade DWORD to change its settings. If this DWORD isn’t available, you might have to create it manually.
- Change the value of the DWORD to 0 and click OK.
According to users, sometimes in order to fix the problems with your touchpad you need to modify your registry.
Your registry holds all sorts of hidden settings, and if trackpad touch click isn’t working, you might be able to fix the issue by changing these settings.
After making the above changes, the problem with the touchpad click should be resolved. Bear in mind that this solution only works if you have this key available in your registry.
If not, then this solution won’t apply to you so you can just skip it.
7. Perform a System Restore
- Press Windows Key + S and enter system restore. Select Create a restore point from the list of results.
- When System Properties window appears, click the System Restore button.
- System Restore will now open. Click Next to proceed.
- Look for Show more restore points option and enable it, if available. Select the desired restore point and click Next.
- Now follow the instructions on the screen to complete the restoration process.
If this problem started appearing recently, it’s possible that a recent change to your system caused it. In order to fix this issue, it’s advised that you perform a System Restore and check if that helps.
This is relatively simple to do and you can do it by following the above procedure. Once your system is restored, check if the problem is still there.
Keep in mind that the issue might reappear, so keep a close eye on system updates and other system-related changes.
If your trackpad touch click isn’t working properly, that can be a big problem, but in most cases, the issue is caused by your settings or drivers.
Moreover, keep in mind that the above tips may fix all these problems that users encountered:
- Trackpad click not working – If that’s the issue that bothers you, don’t postpone checking that the feature is indeed enabled.
- Touchpad click not working Lenovo – Many laptop brands are affected by this. In order to correct the problem, be sure to update your drivers to the latest version.
- Touchpad click not working Acer – This issue can appear on Acer devices as well. If you encounter it, be sure to try all the solutions from this article.
- Tap to click not working in Windows 10 – This unpleasant situation happens if your touchpad isn’t properly configured. It’s possible that this feature isn’t even enabled, so be sure to check your touchpad settings.
- Lenovo touchpad double tap not working – Some Lenovo owners reported this problem as well. To fix it, try reinstalling your drivers and check if that helps.
FAQ: Learn more about touchpad issues
- Why is my touchpad not clicking?
We investigated this particular touchpad issue and it seems to be related to touchpad drivers, configuration errors, and unexpected glitches.
You’ll find more potential causes and quick fixes in our detailed guide.
- Why does my touchpad double click?
Pinpointing the direct cause is often difficult. However, do note that it may be related to having the double-click speed set too low or wireless signal interferences.
- What do I do if my trackpad won’t click?
Double checking that this feature is enabled in the first place is just one of the many confirmed solutions you may apply.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in November 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in June 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.