Full Fix: Trackpad touch click not working on Windows 10, 8.1, 7
Many users prefer using a trackpad instead of their mouse, however, some users reported that trackpad touch click is not working. This can be a big problem for some users, and in today’s article we’ll try to fix this problem.
Touchpad issues can cause many problems on your PC, and speaking of issues, here are some similar problems that users encountered:
- Tap to click not working Windows 10 – This problem can appear if your touchpad isn’t properly configured. It’s possible that this feature isn’t even enabled, so be sure to check your touchpad settings.
- Touchpad click not working Lenovo, HP, Windows 10 –Many laptop brands are affected by this issue, and in order to fix it, be sure to update your drivers to the latest version.
- Lenovo touchpad double tap not working – Some Lenovo owners reported this issue as well. To fix it, try reinstalling your drivers and check if that helps.
- Dell touchpad click not working – This issue can appear on Dell devices as well, but if you encounter it, be sure to try all the solutions from this article.
Trackpad touch click not working, how to fix it?
- Be sure that this feature is enabled
- Make sure that delay is turned off
- Reinstall the touchpad driver
- Run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
- Make sure that your drivers are up to date
- Make changes to your registry
- Perform a System Restore
Solution 1 – Be sure that this feature is enabled
If trackpad touch click is not working on your laptop, it’s possible that it isn’t enabled. Your trackpad supports various configuration, and in order to enable this feature, you just need to do the following:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter control panel. Select Control Panel from the list.
- When the Control Panel opens, select Mouse.
- Mouse window will now open. Go to the Device settings tab.
- Now click the Settings button and go to Tapping.
- Check the Enable tapping check box and click OK.
After making these changes, the tapping feature should be enabled and everything will start working again. A couple of users reported that Tap to click feature was already enabled, but after turning it off and back on again, the problem was resolved.
Solution 2 – Make sure that delay is turned off
If trackpad touch click feature isn’t working, the problem might be the delay settings. Many touchpads have this option enabled in order to prevent accidental clicks. However, if touch click feature isn’t working on your laptop, perhaps you should disable this feature entirely. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app. To do that quickly, use Windows Key + I shortcut.
- When the Settings app opens, go to the Devices section.
- From the menu on the left choose Touchpad. In the right pane look for make sure that the delay is set to No Delay.
After doing that, there won’t be any delay anymore and touch click should start working without any issues.
Solution 3 – Reinstall the touchpad driver
According to users, your drivers can sometimes get corrupted and that will cause the problem with your touchpad. If trackpad touch click feature doesn’t work on your PC, it’s possible that there’s an issue with your drivers.
However, you can fix this problem simply by reinstalling your touchpad drivers. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open Device Manager. The fastest way to do that is to press Windows Key + X and choose Device Manager from the list.
- Locate your touchpad driver, right-click it and choose Uninstall device from the menu.
- When the confirmation dialog appears, just click Uninstall. If Remove driver software for this device option is available, don’t check it.
After doing that, you’ll have to restart your device and Windows will automatically install the necessary drivers. In some cases, you might have to restart your PC twice to solve the problem.
Few users suggested that instead of touchpad driver you should reinstall mouse driver, so you might want to try that as well.
Solution 4 – Run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
According to users, certain glitches can sometimes occur with your device, and the same goes with your touchpad. If trackpad touch click feature isn’t working properly, there might be a glitch with your touchpad.
This might be a minor problem, and you can fix it using the built-in troubleshooter. In case you don’t know, Windows has many troubleshooters available, and you can use them to automatically fix common problems.
To run the troubleshooter, you just need to follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app and head over to the Update & Security section.
- Choose Troubleshoot from the left pane. In the right pane, select Hardware and Devices and click Run the troubleshooter button.
- When Troubleshooter window opens, follow the instructions on the screen to complete it.
Once the troubleshooter process is finished, check if the problem is still there. Several users reported that this method worked for them, so be sure to try it out.
Solution 5 – Make sure that your drivers are up to date
According to users, touchpad issues can occur due to your drivers. If your drivers out of date, they might have certain bugs, and that will cause trackpad touch click to stop working. This can be a big problem, and in order to fix it, it’s advised to update your drivers.
The best way to do that is to download the touchpad driver from the manufacturer’s website. Once you download the latest driver, install it and the problem should be resolved. Although this method is effective, sometimes you might have problems finding the appropriate driver.
However, you can update all your drivers automatically with using a third-party software such as TweakBit Driver Updater. This tool is quite simple to use, and it will scan your PC for outdated drivers and update them automatically for you. If you need to update your drivers, but you don’t want to search for them manually, be sure to try this tool.
Solution 6 – Make changes to your registry
According to users, sometimes in order to fix the problems with your touchpad you need to modify your registry. Your registry holds all sorts of hidden settings, and if trackpad touch click isn’t working, you might be able to fix the issue by changing these settings. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + R and enter regedit. Press Enter or click OK.
- In the left pane, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE Synaptics SynTP Install key. In the right pane, double-click DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade DWORD to change its settings. If this DWORD isn’t available, you might have to create it manually.
- Change the value of the DWORD to 0 and click OK.
After making these changes, the problem with touch click should be resolved. Bear in mind that this solution only works if you have this key available in your registry. If not, then this solution won’t apply to you so you can just skip it.
Solution 7 – Perform a System Restore
If this problem started appearing recently, it’s possible that a recent change to your system caused it. In order to fix this issue, it’s advised that your perform a System Restore and check if that helps. This is relatively simple to do and you can do it by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter system restore. Select Create a restore point from the list of results.
- When System Properties window appears, click the System Restore button.
- System Restore will now open. Click Next to proceed.
- Look for Show more restore points option and enable it, if available. Select the desired restore point and click Next.
- Now follow the instructions on the screen to complete the restoration process.
Once your system is restored, check if the problem is still there. Keep in mind that the issue might reappear, so keep a close eye on system updates and other system-related changes.
If your trackpad touch click isn’t working properly, that can be a big problem, but in most cases the issue is caused by your settings or drivers. If you’re still having this issue, be sure to try all other solutions from this article.
- Fix This: Touchpad Freezes on Windows 10, 8.1
- Fix: Mouse or touchpad not working in Windows 10
- How to Fix Left, Right Click Touchpad Issues in Windows 10, 8, 8.1
Have you ever tried using MS Works on Windows 10? It might be harder than you think. Even though Works has been discontinued by Microsoft, […]
Users reported on Reddit that Windows 10 v1903 disabled Windows Defender real-time protection. This is often the case when you installed another antivirus solution on […]