- The Twitch error 403 is a sign that you may not change your display name. You’re entitled to expect otherwise, so let us help you out.
- If you plan to change the profile settings, carefully follow the steps detailed below.
- Bothered by Twitch issues all the time? Bookmark this Twitch Troubleshooting section and solving them will become a lot easier.
- For similar solutions, we encourage you to take a closer look at this Streaming Hub too.
Twitch.tv is one of the biggest streaming platforms on the Internet. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions of viewers tune in every day to watch their favorite streamers.
Error message Error (403): You may not change your display name, only the capitalization of it displays when this specific issue occurs.
Here’s how one Reddit user describes the issue:
I wrongly mistakenly changed my username some two months ago. After that, it said I wasn’t going to be able to change my username until 59 days. Now, when those days have passed, I’m trying to change my username to something desirable… but I’m getting the following error (which is unrelated to the original issue of waiting a certain amount of days until next possibility to change my username):
Fortunately, we have managed to come up with a simple guide to fix this issue.
How can I fix display name Twitch error 403?
- Click your Account profile icon in the top right corner.
- Open the Settings tab.
- Scroll down to the Profile Settings.
- Click the Edit button next to the Username box, trying to completely change your name through the Display Name box won’t work, it is only for capitalization purposes.
- Enter your new username, a green tick will confirm that your new name is available.
- Click Update.
- Enter your password to complete the verification and you’re done.
We hope that our quick guide on how to correctly change your Twitch name could be of help.
As you can see, this process is incredibly simple, and you can perform it in a matter of minutes, as long as you follow the instructions carefully.
Let us know if everything went well in the comments section below.
Moreover, the message stating You may not change your display name only the capitalization of it isn’t the only one that users have encountered.
As of lately, besides Error 403 when trying to change the username on Twitch, they also complain about:
- The remote server returned an error (403) forbidden Twitch – The world’s largest streaming platform is clearly prone to errors. As it seems, this one is on their end.
- Twitch error authorization source: playlist code: 403 – This is another common issue related to authorization sources. If other cast enabled-apps from your device function properly, contact the in-app support and let them know about the problem.
- Twitch error 403 Chromecast – Chromecast is an open-source platform, so there’s no wonder that the casting experience isn’t always as smooth as desired. Contact in-app support with no hesitation.
- What does it mean you may not change your display name? – This is probably one of the most requested features ever on Twitch, so things shouldn’t remain like that for too long. Just apply the above steps to correct the issue.
FAQ: Learn more about Twitch
- Can you change your Twitch name?
Yes, that’s an easy thing to do. However, once you’ve changed your Twitch name, you can’t repeat the process for another 60 days.
- Why can’t I change my display name on Twitch?
This is often an unjustified error, so don’t give up that easily. Use this quick guide to fix Twitch error 403 regarding changing your display name.
- Is Twitch owned by Amazon?
Yes, that’s true. Amazon bought it for no less than $970 million in cash.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in June 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in July 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.