- Twitch.tv is now a popular streaming platform with millions of followers worldwide.
- First, verify if Twitch isn't down and check your connection.
- Try to use another browser like Opera GX that has Twitch embedded.
- Other solutions include checking the PC for malware and clear the browsing data.
Twitch.tv started as a small gameplay streaming platform and now it has millions of daily followers. Most of the people follow their favorite streamers on the web client and a hefty number of those use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
Recently, some of them noticed issues with the web client, like Twitch not working on Chrome and Firefox.
We made sure to provide you with some solutions and workarounds for the problem at hand. Hopefully, with your effort and our helping hand, you’ll be able to get back to your favorite content in no time.
So, if you’re getting Twitch error loading data, follow the instructions listed below.
What can I do if Twitch failed to load module?
- Make sure that Twitch isn’t down and check the connection
- Use a different browser
- Install Malwarebytes
- Clear browsing data
- Disable Add-ons
- Use Windows Defender
- Disable Experimental features
- Try Twitch for Desktop
1. Make sure that Twitch isn’t down and check the connection
Let’s start with the two essential steps. Firstly, make sure that the Twitch.tv service is up and running. It might be down due to maintenance or the servers crashed.
These are rare occurrences but we still encourage you to check the Twitch status before moving on to other solutions.
The second step is obvious. Yes, you’ve probably wouldn’t be able to read the content of this article without the fully functional Internet connection.
However, there are some things which, consequently, will affect the streaming and loading on the Twitch.tv web client.
We encourage you to temporarily disable all bandwidth-hogging applications. The torrent client or direct download manager are the ones you should disable firstly.
In addition, while on Twitch, click on the Padlock icon in the Address bar and choose Site Settings. Reset all permissions at the bottom and restart Chrome or Firefox.
2. Use a different browser
If you want to avoid any other Twitch issues, you should consider using it on a specialized gaming browser like Opera GX.
We cannot stress enough the fact that this browser was made with gamers in mind. This means that you will also be able to manage the resources better so that nothing can disturb your sessions.
And if that was not enough, Opera GX has Twitch embedded and a dedicated button on its left-side menu to start it in a second. You will also be able to get notifications when your fevorite streamers come online.
Opera GXUse a fast browser, designed for gaming and streaming to keep an eye on your favorite Twitch streamers.
As expected, malware is a potential culprit for many issues including Twitch’s failure to load channel properties in Chrome.
We suggest taking some precaution measures and performing a deep scan with a specialized malware removal tool such as Malwarebytes.
When it comes to protection, Malwarebytes is unmatched as it takes virus scans where traditional antivirus software simply cannot.
The tool uses multiple layers of security and real-time protection warnings to stop anything from worms, rogues, dialers, trojans, rootkits, spyware, adware, and other forms of malware from harming your PC.
Let’s quickly look at its key features:
- Real-time protection against phishing scams and malicious advertising
- Run comprehensive scans to quickly identify and remove existing infections
- Minimal impact on performance (remove unwanted programs or PUPs that slow down your computer)
- Artificial intelligence-based virus detection
- Remove all traces of malware
4. Clear browsing data
4.1 Clear browsing data on Google Chrome
- Press Shift + Ctrl + Delete to open the Clear browsing data menu.
- Select All time as the time range.
- Focus on deleting Cookies, Cached Images and Files, and other site data.
- Click on the Clear Data button.
4.2 Clear browsing data on Mozilla Firefox
- Click on the books icon from the top right corner and click on History.
- Click on Clear Recent History.
- Click on the Last Hour from the time range and select Everything.
- You want to unselect Active logins if you don’t have the passwords stored and then hit the OK button.
Every browser, including Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox collect cookies and all other kinds of browsing data in order to speed up and improve the browsing experience.
Every individual site has its own share of browsing data and this goes for the Twitch web client, as well.
Now, after the aforementioned data piles up, the browser will slow down and some features might suffer. For that reason, we suggest clearing all browsing data (don’t clear passwords if you don’t have them backed up).
5. Disable Add-ons
The days of third-party extensions which regulate flash and video playing are behind us. Nowadays, everything you need comes with the browser and you don’t need to install any add-ons to play videos or run Flash media.
With that said, the presence of those and similar add-ons can create issues. In addition, ad-blockers and similar anti-tracking extensions can create various issues with the video playback during the streaming.
Because of that, we suggest running Chrome and Firefox in private/ incognito mode and accessing Twitch that way.
If the problem is gone, we advise you to disable add-ons temporarily and use Chrome that way. If the problem is persistent, move on through the list.
6. Use Windows Defender
- Open Windows Defender from the taskbar notification area.
- Choose Virus & threat protection.
- Choose Scan options.
- Select Windows Defender Offline Scan.
- Click Scan now.
- Your PC will restart and the scanning process will commence.
While we’re at it, there’s something worse than a mere presence of Chrome extensions. And those are PUPs and toolbars, browser hijackers and similar pop-up atrocities users often run into.
They tend to integrate deep into the Registry and completely take over the browser. Once there, it’s quite hard to dig them out and remove them.
Sometimes you won’t even know they’re there, slowly undermining the performance of already RAM-heavy Google Chrome.
7. Disable Experimental features
- Open Chrome.
- In the Address bar, type the following line and press Enter:
- Click on Reset all to default.
You can safely skip this step if you never meddled with the Experimental options in Chrome. There’s a lot of available options, some of them part of the Beta program.
They’re most of the time safe to use on the standard Chrome release, but can occasionally slow down the browser or affect negatively some of the standard features.
If you’ve made certain tweaks in the Chrome Experimental menu, we suggest resetting them to default values. This action will disable all of them.
However, if you know your way around these options, you can enable them individually and look for changes.
8. Try Twitch for Desktop
Finally, if the Twitch web client still won’t load streams or recorded videos, we suggest an alternative. Besides the web client, Twitch.tv also offers a desktop client for Windows.
It’s quite similar but still has additional options. For both viewers and streamers, chances are that the desktop client will work much better, especially as a dedicated application.
The installation procedure is rather simple, and you should be able to get Twitch in a matter of minutes. After that, you can sign in with your credentials and enjoy it. Download the Twitch desktop client, from the official page.
And on that note, we can wrap it up.
Don’t forget to share alternative solutions or post questions in the comments section below. We look forward to hearing from you.
FAQ: Learn more about Twitch issues
- Why is twitch not loading?
If you’re unable to load Twitch, your usual suspects are add-ons, cookies, and cache, and/or malware. Check out these easy steps to quickly fix the Twitch error loading data.
- How do I fix twitch buffering on Chrome?
You can find a complete list of fixes in this comprehensive guide.
- How do I fix black screen on twitch?
Check out this step-by-step guide for detailed solutions and procedures.