If this is your situation, try some of the solutions listed below.
FIX: Internet connection lost when connected to VPN
- Check your underlying connection
- Check for incorrect date and time settings
- Install the latest version of your VPN
- Connect to a different server location
- Change your VPN protocol
- Change your DNS server configuration
- Uninstall and reinstall your VPN
- Adjust your proxy settings
- Change your VPN
1. Check your underlying connection
Disconnect from your VPN, and try to access the internet. If you can access the internet, connect to your VPN and move to the next step of this guide.
Check for incorrect date and time settings:
- Double-click the Date and Time display on the taskbar
- Click Change date and time settings.
- In the Date and Time tab, click Change date and time….
- In the Date and Time Settings dialog box, update your time to the current date and time, then click OK.
- If you need to change the time zone, click Change time zone… , select your current time zone in the drop-down list, then click OK.
- Restart your VPN and connect to a server location.
- If you cannot connect to a server location after restarting your VPN, re-install the VPN. You do not need to uninstall the app first, just run the installation program again.
2. Install the latest version of your VPN
- Right-click Start and select Run
- Type regedit and press Enter
- You will now see the User Account Control dialog box.
- Click Yes
- In the Registry Editor, under Computer, double-click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
- Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, double-click on SOFTWARE and then [your]VPN.
- If you cannot find [your]VPN directly beneath SOFTWARE, go to SOFTWARE > Classes> [your]VPN.
- Right-click on [your]VPN and then click Delete. After deletion, you should no longer see your VPN under Wow6432Node.
If you see that the VPN is still listed as an available VPN connection after uninstalling:
- Right-click the Start button, and then click Run.
- Type ncpa.cpl on the run command and then press Enter to go to your Network Connections window.
- On your Network Connections window, right-click on the WAN Miniport labeled [your]VPN.
- Click Delete.
3. Connect to a different server location
Select a different VPN server location and connect to it. If you can access the internet when connected to a different server location, there may be a temporary issue with the server location you originally selected.
4. Change your VPN protocol
VPN protocols are the methods by which your device connects to a VPN server. If your VPN uses the UDP protocol by default, this may be blocked in some countries. For optimal performance, choose the protocols below in the following order:
- OpenVPN TCP
Open your VPN’s options or settings and select the Protocol from the list.
Note: PPTP offers only minimal security so only use it when absolutely necessary.
5. Change your DNS server configuration
Manually configuring your Windows computer with other DNS server addresses can help you access blocked sites and enjoy faster speeds. To configure your Windows computer, please follow the instructions below.
Open Network Connections settings
- Right click Start and select Run
- Type ncpa.cpl and click OK
- In Network connections window, find your usual connection, either LAN or Wireless network connection.
- Right click the connection and select Properties
Set the DNS server addresses
- Double click Internet Protocol Version 4 (IPv4) or just Internet Protocol
- Select Use the following DNS server addresses
- Type these Google DNS server addresses: Preferred DNS server 8.8.8 and Alternate DNS server 126.96.36.199
- If Google DNS is blocked, try the following: Neustar DNS Advantage (154.70.1 and 188.8.131.52) enter and press OK; Level3 DNS (184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11) enter and press OK. Once you’re done, set your VPN’s DNS settings, and flush old DNS entries as described in the next solution.
— RELATED: Fix: VPN not working with Google Chrome
6. Uninstall and reinstall your VPN
Please restart your computer or uninstall and then reinstall your VPN on your machine.
You can uninstall the app and sign in again to your account, then set up your VPN, find the latest version and connect again.
- Right click Start and select Apps and Features
- Find your VPN from the list of programs and select Uninstall
- In the SetUp Wizard, click You’ll get a notification after a successful uninstall, so click Close to exit the wizard.
- If the VPN is still listed as available after uninstalling it, right click Start and select Run
- Type cpl and press Enter to open the Network Connections window
- Under Network Connections, right click on the WAN Miniport labeled [your]VPN
- Select Delete
- Click Start and select Settings
- Click Network & Internet
- Select VPN. If you see [your]VPN as available, delete it
Once deleted, reinstall the app again and see if it helps.
7. Adjust your proxy settings
A proxy server is an intermediary between your computer and the Internet, often used to hide your real location and allow you to access websites that would otherwise be blocked. If you’re having trouble connecting to the Internet, it’s possible that it has been set to use a proxy server.
Make sure that your browser is set to auto-detect proxy or to no proxy. Here’s how to disable proxy server in Internet Explorer:
Note: The steps below will not help you access online streaming services. If you’re unable to access a service because a VPN or proxy is detected, please contact your VPN’s support team for immediate assistance.
To disable proxy in Internet Explorer:
- From the Tools or gear menu, select Internet options.
- In the Connections tab, click LAN settings.
- Uncheck all of the displayed options except automatically detect settings.
- Click OK
- Close your browser and then open it again.
8. Change your VPN
You can try and use a different VPN like CyberGhost and see if it helps you with the connection.
CyberGhost’s servers all have optical fiber internet connections with very high data speeds, which makes it one of the fastest VPNs in the world.
CyberGhost’s powerful features and performance make it worth a try. In daily life, however, what influences possible speed include ISP infrastructure, regular internet connection speed, the hardware used, uplink of the VPN server and its location, plus the number of users connected to the server.
For daily or occasional use, this VPN service is adequate, with simple configuration, and in a single click, it is activated and you feel like you’re browsing from a different country.
The benefits of using CyberGhost include access to restricted content, protection for all your devices, ad blocking, malware blocking, and the highest possible speeds you can get on a VPN.
- Get CyberGhost VPN now (currently 50% off on all sales)
Did any of these solutions help? Let us know in the comments section below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- FIX: Windows 10 VPN error 789 connection failed due to security issues
- Fix: VPN not working after Windows 10 update
- 100% Fix: VPN is not working on Windows 7 computers